Future Cosmology stories [Bellular Lore interview]

The whole BfA part was described as supposedly “morally grey”. Current developments I mentioned are suggested as adding “greyness” into the mix. Totally not the same goal and methods. Totally not placing negatives in the center of a story related to someone.

The term “retcon” was not used once. It’s not about calling something a retcon. It’s about homogenizing the cosmic influences and turning one of them that was different into one which is on track to become one of. I guess it simplifies development, that might be a good side.

There was / is (?) one. And it did not have much development and explanation. So, depends on the execution. Could be interesting, could fall flat on its face.

And we had “morally grey” actions of Sylvanas. Did not required to turn her into what she became in BfA. There were other paths.

Variety for naaru does not require turning them into a copy of the others. There were other paths.

It does not contradicts the existing lore. It just shifts the focus, homogenizes things, and instead of developing / explaining / wrapping up some of existing stories about “morally grey” Light users / creatures, those are left at the side for unspecified amount of time. Maybe forever. We do not have explanation of why Light led Scarlets to their death for over a decade.

Well, to me logical step to have variety is to have variety. I guess I said that before. Idk, can’t remember. maybe I should sleep more lately.

I totally see when naaru introduced in perception and discussion of them both options for maybe it’s a zealot, or maybe it’s full of compassion.

I totally see discussions about Yrel that suggest that the events on alt-Draenor maybe had reasoning not limited to them following the Light.

Sure thing, we have variety of possibilities. Oh well, maybe some day we’ll get rid of Anduin for good.

Why is it good to make thing copy-paste style? Why is it better to homogenize and unify things? Those questions do not require answers, it’s just my train of thought.

I want to see different character be different. Different races have different values and ideas. Preferably without the game moralyzing about what is correct, but just presenting different points of view. Different factions to have seriously different cultural and ideological sides. And same thing here - to have different forces being… different. In values, methods, etc.

It does not negate them. It does not explore them. It shifts the focus and makes things look and feel the same.

To contrast something, it requires contrast. If instead of highlighting the different it just shifts the focus it changes how things are percieved.

If the “expanding” and evolution would be done in a (not sure which word to use) “reasonable way”, the way Yrel would be shown, would make people question "was it correct? Was it incorrect? Maybe there is something about it? Maybe it’s a mistake? Maybe it’s manipulation? Maybe she made a choice to be corrupted somehow? If so - why?

When did you see last time a non-trolling suggestion that maybe the events on alt-Draenor were reasonable and justified? Not saying that it should be. Just that for “grey” there should be IMO both possibilities, not just 1 option dominating.

When was the last time a “good”, as you say, naaru featured as a participant of a main story line in any reasonable way? TBC. Cameos in WotLK and WoD. Cool presence. Then Legion with focus on Xe’ra. Then BfA with a highlight of Yrel.

gl hf

1 Like

“But “The Light” is no longer a “religion”. It’s not make-believe. It exists, as one of the fundamental aspects of the Cosmos.” All worshipped entities exist though. Loas, Elune, Ancients, Old Gods… they all just straight up exist. Now they’re individuals and they don’t compare to a cosmic component like the Light, but even a “fundamental” object of faith such as nature is not systematically pure - there are evil chamans, vengeful elementals…

We do not know if it will.

You just mentioned the Scarlets for example. And coincidentally, we’ve been given new information about them rising under a banner that seems to condemn both Genn and Anduin as leaders of their race.

How and why?

The only thing it teases is the fact that we will meet other Light users that aren’t necessarily good.
And uses as narrative hook, the fact that, contrary to how they are often shown as collaborative, certain Light cult may end up being antagonistic towards us.

Like the Scarlets but in a major fashion.

And isn’t it contrasting enough to have had literal years about us tagging along good Light users in order to face evil?
About fighting alongside them against every major antagonist we’ve had since the Old Horde?

Did the introduction of “good” void users such as Void elves or Alleria, signal you that the cosmic energy was now completely good?
Did it radically change your perception about it in a way that changed years of “Yeah, Void is bad”, and made you see it as it being inherently good?

What makes you think that this upcoming plot about the light will drastically change your overall perception about it, to the tipping point about seeing it as simply “bad”?

Why are naaru relevant here? They are supposed to be rare.

We may have not had many interactions with them, but we certainly did with other Light users. And did so mostly in a positive Light.

We were just introduced an entire playable race imbued with said cosmic energy.

And why would this evil Light expansion harm in any way our past experiences with the Naaru?
True, it would probably further discard the notion about them being all-knowing benevolent beings. But that was already done in Legion.

Acknowledging that they may be “flawed” as any other being (including the likes of Wild Gods, Valkyrs, and other supernatural entities), does not negate the fact that there are indeed benevolent ones. It doesn’t even negate whether the majority of them still are.

It just opens the door for a wider range of antagonists in this story.

PS: The last time we met a benevolent Naaru was back in WoD. And in Revendreth were back again, allied with one.

I have no idea what a mention of shift in the narrative in a form of “let’s suppress what it was, and put a comic villain in the front instead” have to do with “religion”.

The whole original post was about rather simple points:

• while developing the thing is fine and all, it’s done in a way that replaces what was there instead of adding more colours
  • it is done in a way that homogenizes the world of the video game even further
  • change feels too abrupt, which is not new, but barely has foreshadowing and explanation other than “our character [writer fav, like Anduin] we put in highlight - good, and others - not good”. So, we’ll see more of Anduin in the center who somehow will end up being a better representative of the Light than concentrated Light.

If you read my posts (although I am wordy, I apologise for that), to draw a parallel with what you mentioned, you would need to have for a couple expansions to replace all the shamans with only “evil” ones, and only Thrall’s cameos here and there [as a representative of “old vision”] for like a quest or 2.

We do not know details about most things. Does not mean that there can’t be discussions about what is there and how and why people feel about it. I can’t foresee the future. Once the story about what happened to Scarlets will be disected, then we can chat about it. For now there is nothing to discuss afaia. All we have are pamphlets of a 3rd iteration of Scarlets with no hints at exploration of the things leading and concluding in WotLK.

The thing it teases (as I see it) is a shift to “all of them will be copy-paste of each other”, aka “morally grey” cosmic powerz with the same ideas / approach / goal. Some [players] like when the difference is in colour palette and the rest is the same - some might not.

And let’s not discuss “wait and see” - that was the motto of BfA. It’s known how great it turned out.

My “english” fails me in explaining what is the difference is showing cracks and gradually expanding a theme, and a swift shift with new image slapped on top of what was there.

Because the whole point that I made since the 1st post in this thread that it’s about smashing one vision to put another one instead of steady evolution? And it’s about cosmic forces, with naaru being a typical representation. Mortals here are just a “tool” to explore the thing more so than the focus. At least in what I was talking about. Maybe it wasn’t clear, sorry if so.

What do you mean by “good”? Void elves are odd, I am not even sure why they were introduced. For whatever reason alliace was not allowed to have high elves I suppose, so my view of “void elves” so far is a placeholder to pretent that the playerbase got what they asked for.

Alleria made a mistake in trusting Locus Walker. And that will cost greatly. Which is like one of most obvious things since Legion.

I am not aware of anybody other than titan info sources making that claim. Nightmare is not gone anywhere, just as drust are in Shadowlands. Some void entities claiming “surrender and you’ll be rewarded. Maybe” goes in line with what was there before IMO. Old gods are as shady and menacing as ever. Shadow priests are as useful and common enough as ever.

Fist of all, is not about “simply bad”, it’s about “it was something, and then it was altered to have identical motivation / approach as the other sides of the cosmology chart”.

Secondly, as I said, the current perception of the thing is not “oh, I wonder if it’a s good naaru, or a troublesome one, or a little bit of both”. I see typical perception of “it’s crearly shady”. Naaru are expected to be zealous / fanatical.

Yrel is expected to be wrong. And that - when instead or raising questions, like “why did she break her promise to help against the Burning Legion” or “I wonder if it’s a misguided poor decision, or something reasonable” it is portrayed as “no, it’s clearly wrong” - that kind of story telling is :poop: in my opinion.

Doesn’t mean that other are no allowed to enjoy sudden shifts in the story and sudden praising or damning things with a vague promise of “wait and see”.

I do not claim to be a wielder of some cosmic truths, just sharing my feel of loss of what was there for the sake of “cool” moments. Which is not necessary relevant, just felt in line with my mood.

Because the concept replaces a reasonable entites with whom it was possible to interact, negotiate, convince, with entities which are the same kind of “I’ll force my will” just coloured differently from the Burning Legion or the Pantheon.

Once again, what are the expectations in regards to introduction of a yet another Light-related character? Is it an expectation of, as you say, someone / something “benevolent”, or single-minded and focused on 1 mission / idea?

Depth > breadth IMO. But everyone have different preferences. I’d rather have fewer well made antagonists, that have logical and natural evolution, than a lot of one-liners.

Sure thing, I saw plenty of comments or forums / reddit / twitter focusing on the “show Death its place” part of her phrase. Needless to say how it’s perceived. Spoiler alert: not in an ambiguous way of “maybe she has a point”.

gl hf

Yet you take for granted that this story will inevitably discard the plots about say, for example, the Scarlets.

Even if they are part of a collective explicitly addressed recently.

I honestly do not see how expanding on additional agents that delve in this cosmic energy, would in any way negate or diminish the role of those that are already at play in the setting.

Regarding this:

The fact that the Light can be employed for both good or evil deeds, has been always part of the setting.
Highlighting it further, now that its nature will probably become the main focus of a story, won’t change one bit the theme.
It will just move to a higher fantasy level where we’ll probably note it on a grander scale, instead of through some weirdos in white and red armour in a single area.

Why would this happen? How would the inclusion of shadier Light users diminish the presence or role of other Light users that came before them?

How are you smashing or replacing anything? We had benevolent Naaru (A’dal, M’uru, K’ara,…), we also had zealots (X’era), and others that operated inbetween.

Its disingenuous to not accept that on a narrative level, you need an antagonist. And if the theme is Light related, that will probably mean that several of them will probably involve Light users.

Again, how does the above negate or discard previously established lore? Its not as if introducing evil Light users is something new. Not even the zealot angle is.

What does it change? Do you really think that the Naaru portrayal remained that of an “all-benevolent” entity? After Scarlets used the light to torture, or X’era went wacko in Legion?

I mean, even by Chronicles standards, the Light was already seen as another side of the coin regarding the Void.

Assuming that it would remain “good” by default, is far more lorebreaking than assuming a more neutral standpoint (one like that of the rest of nature forces). I repeat, we’ve had “evil” light users since the RTS.

I mean as not necessarily tied to the negative baggage that comes natural from the fact that its wielded by the likes of Void Lords and Old Gods.

If we are to have Void users as part of a heroic cast (much like we also have Fel users like DH or Warlocks doing likewise), why can’t the story introduce or highlight Light users that aren’t necessarily heroic good guys?

Why should it remain the untarnished cosmic force that only has goodness and positive aspects tied to it? Wasn’t this concept already removed with the inclusion of the Scarlets?

Well…we’ve had years of fighting the Old God minions, and several years worth of plots that try to nail how the void users are majorly deranged chaotic villains.
Ranging from Cho’gall, to Deathwing, Yogg-Saron, C’thun, N’zoth, etc.

Are they? Why and when?

Again i ask, are you maybe getting this impression because after years of the opposite, any amount of exposure about the other side may seem as to much?

A’dal wasn’t zelous or fanatical. Legion and WoD came back to back and we interacted with two more Naaru that were diametrically opposed.

How? So far we aren’t even hinted at any relevant Naaru interaction. And instead it mostly focuses on the likes of Yrel.

The only thing this new story facilitates, is the fact that they are now willing to explore more about the Light. Beyond the stereotypical good guy trope that had majorly dominated said theme.

Their willingness to simultaneously showcase differing points of view in the same story, shows such.
In Legion, we had X’era opposing A’dals view regarding Illidan.

Blizzard didn’t magically say “And now all Naaru are nuts”.

I said that it did so far. And it kind of did so far. Future will be in the future. Once it’ll be here - we can discuss the details of what will happen. If something related to the specificly mentioned topics will be.

You see it one way. I see it the other way. I can imagine that similar rhetorics was used to justify the tone shift with Sylvanas. It certailny made her morally grey /s

I - don’t. My whole post was that we had a vision of what it is - the only cosmo forces that did something for mortals. And it’s arguably bad, because it could be manipulated to weaken the whole thing, and loss of one of cosmo forces supposedly would throw the entire balance out of the window and lead to catastrophic results.

New team brings new ideas. There is a new narrative lead currently, new direction. I share my thought on this “new vision”. With no obligation to consider the change as improvement. I can explain what and why I feel, to a degree. That’s about it.

What I want rather than need above all else in not contradicting the previously established info because the only reaction I have about it is “why bother waste time on it when anything I know could be thrown away the moment somewhat thinks it would be cool”.

What I wished for was to show that Xe’ra is exception, as the development of the story. Not Velen drifting away from the thing.

By Chronicles the origin seems rather odd, not clear. Next book will expand on the topic. For now all we have is that those 2 forces for whatever reason need each other.

As I said on more that 1 occasion, I do not mind if from time to time we get both. And that different actors [cosmo chart-wise] would be different, not same in goals / methods / whatever.

N’Zoth saying “only I can save you” is shady but who knows what it means and what are the outcomes.

Deathwing story is more about (iirc) him learning about inevitability of something in the future. Let the world die on my terms then, or something like that.

He explicitly tells that faction fights, etc. just empower him.

I mean, I get that it’s possible to highlight the negatives, but they are more of “who knows what the hell are they doing, but attemt to interact would likely lead to being consumed”.

It’s not “more” it’s “Light is not what you thought it is”, which is a funky way of saying “look, we have something new and cool”. Does not mean that I have to pretend to find it “cool”, etc.

It was explicitly stated that it’s just like the rest of them. Which might be an improvement for you. Not so much for me.

Cool. Maybe it will be “simultaneosly” someday. For now I just expressed what I think about what is there currently. Once new development will be here, there will be a reason to discuss those new things.

gl hf

1 Like

Scarlets were a thing before “The Light” became an entity with its own “agenda”. So even them going from “being blinded by zealotry” to “being controlled by the Light” is silly.

Why is hardly anyone still allowed to be a despicable person just because they have a despicable personality or have made despicable choices? This direction in which “everyone’s a cosmic plaything with no real agency of their own” is just going to write the whole universe into a corner.

3 Likes

Is it though?

Life and Order didn’t do anything for Mortals? The former literally allowed organic living beings to flourish, and the latter secured a place and an order to keep the other cosmic forces from devouring it.

And how would this new plot change the past role the Light had?

I don’t know if i understood this correctly, but it seems as if you don’t like the fact that it will no longer be associated as always being the “Good” cosmic entity by default.

Is that it?

And what exactly is preventing that from happening in this upcoming story?
Sorry but i really do not understand what you imply here.

So far, the only thing hinted at is the fact that there is an upcoming plot that will probably involve a fanatical group of Light radicals eager to push forth what they consider is best in the name of their Light creed.
And how that will probably open a debate regarding the interpretations made regarding this cosmic energy.

On itself, isn’t that already differentiating? We have a heroic cast of characters that interpret it in a positive way, and then we may be introduced to another cast of characters that do so in a negative one.

How is that conflicting, or somehow make it seem as if everyone had the same goals?
We already seem to have a differentiated approach regarding Lightforged and Lightbound.
Or with the Silver Hand and the Scarlet Crusade.
Or with Velen and AU Yrel.

Again, i’m sorry but i really don’t understand the issue here.

Are we really that sure that everyone is being turned into a cosmic plaything?

Looking just at Shadowlands, we have several prominent agents that tackle Death’s cosmic energy in a different way. Often using the energies as a means to an end, instead of the other way around.

And in the interview we were simply pointed at the fact that there were several points of view regarding the Light (and the Void), and how some agents behaved because of it.

That’s like the opposite of turning everyone into a drone that follows the same mindset.

In fact, up until now, assuming that the majority of Light users would unequivocally follow on the same good-natured principles, was indeed what made it seem as if they are part of some hivemind.

Slyvanas is. And she can’t be wrong, at least not with this writing team.

2 Likes

Haha I know right? They’re almost as bad as politicians, just going around the subject without giving any specific answer.

I feel that in recent years, Blizzard is pretty much going for the Illidan approach, when something bothers them, they destroy it, pretend it never existed and move on like, Warcraft 3… Oh wait getting distracted!

I mean Illidan’s “we can only save ourselves” point of view. Illidan is imbued with something we see as inheritably evil, yet in the end he used it to do “good”.

“Good” here is basically the survival of Azeroth and it’s citizens. Light, Void, Order, Disorder, Life & Death are just doing a 6 way tug of war and we Azerothians are stuck in the middle of it.

It’s not quite the “weapons are neutral, the real killers are the people using them” type of thing because all 6 planes are living things that have their own agendas. So I can see Velen becoming the “Illidan of light” so to speak, where he understands that where he draws his power from isn’t perfect, and lets his own internal moral compass guide him.

This miiiight be a bit of a reach, but this view on the world reminds me a bit of the Spawn comics. He was born of hell, cast upon earth, but eventually ends up fighting both heaven and hell, and claiming earth as his domain because he doesn’t want to be part in their stupid war but instead wants to protect the world he knows and loves, etc etc.

What Life did on alt Draenor is a peculiar thing. Life influence as we have on Azeroth is heavily tied to Order.

Pantheon acts in their interests above all. According to Xal’atath the scouring already happened before, mening all life was wiped. Which fits just fine with the fact that it’s more or less what Algalon intended to do.

Now that is a peculiar statement to make. When the Pantheon found Azeroth, the Black Empire was blooming. And you know what happened to Azeroth at that time?

Chronicles vol. 1; Discovery of Azeroth:

It was during his long and lonely journeys that Aggramar sensed something extraordinary: the tranquil dreams of a slumbering world-soul, billowing across the cosmos. The song of life led him to a world that the Pantheon had not yet discovered, a world they would later name “Azeroth.”

Nestled within the world’s core was one of Aggramar’s kin—one far more powerful than any yet encountered. The spirit was so mighty that Aggramar sensed its dreams even through the din of activity that rattled across the world’s surface.

Yet as Aggramar drew closer to Azeroth and beheld the world, horror seized him. Void energies shrouded the world’s surface like a layer of diseased flesh. From the ruined landscape rose the Old Gods and their Black Empire. Miraculously, the nascent titan’s spirit remained uncorrupted, but Aggramar knew it was only a matter of time before it succumbed to the Void.

So, yeah. Not sure about that part. And we’re talking about the most “aggressive” / consuming of forces represented by old gods.

I have a feeling I’ve read and answered that part before :thinking:

It’s one of those moments where limited english is a problem in exlpanation. Let’s put it that way, I guess if you would make a follow up to some popular show, idk, let’s say, a movie after Star Wars ep. 6 would showcase Yoda bending others to his will, and blindly pushing his ideas. Some would call it a character development, but maybe not everyone would be a fan.

Or if the canon Batman would become a maniac. Or pick whatever else is popular.

I am one of those who feels that it’s a cheap twist. It turns the Light from unique to “just like others”. And what was seen as the force alligning with us in dark times, now it not the same anymore. For some people it’s ok change. For me - it’s a loss.

What will happen - idk. What I am saying is that my feeling after hearing that all of them are the same and just follow one-dimentionally their nature, say that… they are all just follow their nature. And that single description encapsulates all there is left from the complexity of this side of the story.

Does not mean something else can’t happen. But so far, all 6 being the same in a way of just following their nature, makes me feel disappointed.

Do actions of AU Yrel seen in BfA possible to derive from what we saw in WoD? Is it a gradual development introducing more details, or a sudden change? The answer to it is the answer to what I see in the whole situation.

IMO the story of WoD does not portray the character that way, and all relevant part of what exactly and how happened being left out is a cheap way trying to mask inability to tell that story. It’s just shoved in the face as “and now that happened”. Maybe some like it when the development is skipped and things placed upside down without explanation.

gl hf

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.