Gamer elitism and Your experience with it

IMO an elitist is someone unable to put himself in another person’s shoes. For example he doesn’t tolerate casual players, refuses to take into account that someone might not have enough time to put into the game, or skills, or has a completely different approach to gaming. As Nimrhys put it very precisely, “content should be as difficult as possible, so only a select few can be the best and others who don’t have the time or like that sort of content should go play something like the Sims.”

An elitist can be seen in comments like "You want it, you have to work for it", "You do not deserve it", "filthy casuals", etc.

There is a difference between a very skilled player with normal attitude to people and an elitist. A lot of elitists might even not be highly skilled, they are rather intolerant and rude.

The most ironic is that they behave like this in a game. They place too big importance on the game. This makes me suppose they don’t have success in real life and are trying to compensate here. They don’t realize that a lot of people are not taking them seriously and are mocking them, but they live in their own imaginary world where they believe themselves superior to everyone else who is not like them.

11 Likes

Hi Queralius, I hope this post finds you well and good and your studies are all on track.

I have experienced this kind of behaviour first hand and let me explain how and why, I am one of the more mature players on the servers (Im 63 years old and have played this game since about the second month it came out) but I am also disabled, in the fact that I have Osteoarthritis in both hands and in my knees.

so the two coupled (age and disability) make me a bit of a slow player in the fact that I do get killed because of slow reflexes and pain in my hands, I have overcome this quite a lot by using Lazymacros (one button spamming or whatever people call it these days).

The abuse I have received and the times I have been kicked from groups screaming “get this f***g noob out of here" and "what the fk is this Huntard doing in the group” it can be very hurtful because I used to be a good player back in the day and loved the game, but now I have to play solo or with the help of my guild if I am really stuck on something, I will never be top of anything, and will never see the proper end content, but I am happy to keep plodding along, I will not and will not ever go into a “PUG” group, I would love to have a go at mythic+ I would love to try out heroic and mythic raiding but its not to be.

But the elitists need to be aware we cant all be good at something, we cant all spend the time making a video game second nature as we have real lives and have to pay mortgages, and bills and bring up families, some of us like to be casual players.

I hope this helps and good luck with your paper sir, and good luck to you

15 Likes

I’d be happy to help you out with that. but you’ll need 120 lvl char
add me Bukachu#21354

7 Likes

I did encounter elitism. Altough it wasn’t here but on the GW2 forum.
The concept isn’t really specific to GW2 though, so I will try to explain it here and use the GW2 system he talked about to make it more clear.

In GW2 you have a achievement system very similar to WoW. With the difference being that for every 500 achievement points you get a reward chest. With a huge reward every 5k points.
These huge rewards consist of store currency and gold, aswell as some unique armor and weapon skin every now and then.

Great “veteran” system, right?
If you are a veteran you played a lot and can get some of those unique items.

Now for the Elitist part:
On the forum I saw a past of someone saying there should be a veteran reward system.
But he used “veteran” in a wrong way.
You see, the requirements you needed in his eyes to be eligible for these new veteran rewards (a currency to buy the most expensive store items) was to have done pretty much everything in the game.

PvP, Raids, Dungeons, WvW (structured FFA pvp of three servers against each other), and many more different aspects of the game.

If you would translate it to WoW you’d have to have:

• Mythic raiding achievement, of the most recent raid.
  • Rated BG highest rank
  • Arena top rating
  • Loremaster
  • All pathfinder achievements
  • etc
  • etc

You probably get what I mean.

I don’t know if you say this is elitism. To me it definitely feels like it.
It could be argued that it’s more like a “special no-life snowflake”.
I thought I’d share it. Maybe you could do something with it for you project.
Anyway, Goodluck with it!

I meet up elitists mostly in IE, they want to order other 2 what to do, because they have larger health pool/ilvl. It would be good as organisation to complete IE faster, but agreeing on something and being ordered to are two different things.

When I read your post I almost had tears in my eyes (I also have health issues). There is a community (Alliance) Scared of Dungeons EU EN I haven’t tried it personally but hope it might fit you.

4 Likes

Elitists are just players that have set a personal goal

They refuse to play with players that in their eyes are lesser geared or/and experiened players that makes them stomp at the same place instead of moving forward in their desirable speed

I lost interest to current raid/dungeon content long time ago because people act like complete momos in the instances and haven’t looked back generally i prefer to play by myself rather that torture my self with playing with the “new” generation of gamers.

10+ years ago online gaming might have not been so popular but it was hell of a lot more fun back then.

10+ years ago not many stupid toxic kids could afford pc, internet and subscription.

2 Likes

I’ve encountered it many times over my years playing wow. Vast majority of time it is rooted in people who don’t have the ‘credentials’ to justify it. As in, they act like their gods at the game and may be good at acting good but in actual fact they’re trash and use elitist mannerisms to mask it.

It’s always fun putting an elitist in their place tbh :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

It says more about you than the actual person you view as an elitist.

See what I mean?..their self-worth is offensive to those that see themselves as inferior.

If someone feels they’re better than you, you’re only offended because you think there’s some semblance of truth to it.

That “truth” is their Item level and or Ratings, both of which are dependant on others.

1 Like

Let’s say you have 410ilvl, i have 350ilvl, why do you think you are better player? because you put more time into game? I’ve seen many lowbies who were perfectly avoiding deadly mechanics, and high end geared players who stood in fire doing ~10k dps.

I still have no clue what is wrong with Elitism. It used to be something every player strived for - to be good at the game.

4 Likes

yeah I agree. people who think they’re good cuz of ilvl are bad at the game imo.
simply because stats > ilvl.
its more like, I have Mythic+15 meta achi and you dont, so im better type of case

Just going over my experiences in World of Warcraft; I don’t think elitism is especially prevalent when it comes to the game-play itself. You get people who will kick you from a random, or a pug, because your DPS is too low or you don’t understand tactics, but I don’t view this as elitism. I view this as ‘I’m trying to save the group some time’, etc.

There are most definitely elements of elitism in the role-playing community, which ranges from those who are very text heavy, in-depth and lore-friendly with their characters to those who just role-play in Goldshire, cyber or play self-inserts that are designed to get married and knocked up. You will often see things like ‘don’t role-play with this group or individual because of x amount of reasons’.

I’ll play with or help out anyone, if it serves my own interests and progression. It’s that simple!

It’s not why I’m better, it’s why you’re inferior, get it?

You can’t say you are better in m+ because you did m15 and i didn’t just because i couldn’t have even try so i don’t know if i’ am able to handle it for example. You can say who’s better just by dueling or playing arenas though :slight_smile:

yeah I guess astronauts arent better that me at being astronauts because I havent tried yet :joy:

class difference, spec difference, RNG of items and stats, gear difference. :joy:

2 Likes

How can someone be better astronaut? :smiley: What is the factor there?

With effort and strat everything can be done here :smiley: