Glacial Spike question

If you are talking about Tunnel of Ice, it didn’t increase icicles or Glacial Spike’s damage what so ever.

What i was referring to, is that you need to frostbolt, ALOT to use glacial spike, and in BFA you had azerite traits to buff both the damage of frostbolt and the damage of icicles and thus it was quite a powerful abilities when these were factored in, more buildup damage and more output from the ability itself.

Without these things, glacial spike is just a shell, one that is easily outdone by simply casting a frostbolt after flurry in pvp, or by just extending icy veins now in pve…

Without these things, glacial spike is just a shell, one that is easily outdone by simply casting a frostbolt after flurry in pvp, or by just extending icy veins now in pve…

The thing about Glacial Spike is that it needs Kyrian, and Kyrian only. And mastery. Lots of it. It’s true that unbuffed GS crits for 10-12 k in pvp, which is laughable, of course, compared to MM hunters or boomies. And that deepshatter frostbolts crit for 10k, which is nonesence.

But… with free 350 mastery from Pelagos and with 200 ilvl conduit for improved Radiant Spark my GS quite reliably crits for 25k on equally geared targets. And 40k is the max that I’ve seen on non-tank targets. I’m at 201 ilvl currently.

As for pve – most modern guides are based off simcraft. And especially off Raidbot, which is basically a cloud simplified version of it.
The thing is: Raidbot got the Kyrian GS frost mage rotation wrong. It treats Radiant Spark as a generic Ice Lance buff, and simply casts RS -> Flurry -> X2 Ice Lance. And then simply casts GS randomly, even without shatter debuff. Which is stupid.
If you do a manual simcraft with a proper burst rotation RS->Flurry->IL->GS, you’ll get MUCH better results and in this case Kyrian GS build is only 5% behind classic Venthyr Thermal Void build. Not 25% as it shows by default.

3 Likes

So you’ll basicly saying that icy-veins got it wrong and instead of Icy Populsion + Ice Bite combo conduits we should use Ire of the Ascended with Ice Bite and that Mastery should come as a prio stat after Crit instead of Haste?
Also, we should use GS instead of TV?

Nope. Post said it’s better than it’s said to be but still 5% worse than meta build.

Indeed. Unless they come up with a conduit that makes GS instant cast and with 10-20% more damage i cannot see anyone playing that build in PvE.

Glacial synergises better if you’re Kyrian. What I do is Radiant Spark > Flurry > another attack (fire blast if taking Disciplinary Command), Glacial. Does HUUUUUGE crits.

I think flurry lands like, first hit before glacial, second two after it.

Don’t waste a brain freeze proc on a fire blast, disaplinary command is a 20sec buff.

I mean, I do it in RBG to ensure I get the 4 stack radiant because it literally one shots a healer with very little notice lol

He just saying, that you can safely fire blast before the whole combo, then Radiant Spark --> Flurry --> Glacial Spike --> Ice Lance (or Ice Nova).
If you press IL or IN immediately after GS finishes casting, you’ll launch it prior the GS animation and it will land before GS, consuming 3d stack of Radiant Park and triggering 4th stack – which GS will then consume for a hefty 70% bonus (with ire).

Both IL and IN are much stronger spells in shatter rotation than fireblast.

Oh yeah, obviously, but what I don’t want to do, is lance a healer on 3x radiant stacks and make them realise they need to pop a defensive on themselves or peel back a bit

(I do nova as fourth if I’m not playing with disciplinary command, or I want to get it off a bit quicker though)

dude… Ice Lance at 3 stacks and Glacial Spike at 4 stacks should hit the target at the SAME TIME.
See the gallery with description: imgur . com / a / ELk1JM8

P.S.
That was basically an idea behind the notorious “Shatter Combo” back in the good old days, when frost mages were feared of.

I think it depends on range and I haven’t worked it out yet, I’ve been playing it safe so far

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.