Guide me please!

Hello friends
Just a couple of questions. Been on this server with some alts for a year now but still been too scared to take the RP plunge as my main isn’t on AD so I can’t commit to a guild (no time really). Been hanging around Stormwind trying to get involved without getting in the way of other people’s RP but I’m slowly starting to figure out that this is futile.

Heard that Goldshire was a good place to go. Quickly learned that was a bad idea!

So the question is, are there particular spots that are good for casual RP? Places that aren’t Stormwind where people hang out and accept interaction with others? Horde, Alliance, doesn’t matter, my toons here are Alliance but I could get a Horde one going as I main Horde on Draenor anyway.

Also, what are the addons that I should have? This is all new to me so any advice on how to get stuck in would be lovely.

5 Likes

TotalRP is all but required. It allows you to tailor an RP profile for your characters, that other TRP users can then access at a glance - and vice versa. It just works.

7 Likes

That’s very handy, thank you!

Hello there friend!

Avoid it like a plague and never go there.

Usual hubs are:
A:
Stormwind
Lakeshire
Darkshire
Sometimes Astranaar and Feathermoon.

H:
Valley of Honor in Orgrimmar
Silvermoon (avoid Bazaar, it’s like Goldshire)

Horde is more guild/campaign based than hubs though.

As Valosh said, TRP 3.

Since you don’t have the time to join a guild, i suggest to join some Communities. It would be better. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

3 Likes

Also get CrossRP, so you can read the other faction’s TRP profiles, and UnlimitedChatMessages, which… well, I think the name tells you what that one does.

4 Likes

Hey there newcomer! (and maybe future buddeh)

Firstly a late welcome to roleplaying, you’re taking the step all of us roleplayers have gone through one point in our roleplaying time!

Stormwind is currently one of the main RP hubs to be around on the Alliance side, think Darkshire might be second but I haven’t done a lot of public roleplaying myself lately.

You mentioned that you cannot commit to a RP guild, which is unfortunate as I’d say that’s how I really started learning how to roleplay in WoW. Maybe you could find a roleplaying guild here that could fit your RP-time to spend per month.

I’d also say try to spectate (or even attend!) public events. Lot’s of them can be found on this forum and they are really fun to join.

Last but not least, do know that it was scary for almost everyone who started roleplaying here during their first couple of times. That fear will fade away in time, we were all noobs at life when we were born. It will feel new, exciting and scary… but in time you’ll be roleplaying like it’s cycling. If you need someone to guide you in-game as well, try sending me a message in-game. Hope to see you soon on Azeroth :smiley:

Edit: Not a necesarry addon but Listener has really helped me out. The addon marks your name when used by other players in chat channels.

3 Likes

Hello there! Welcome to the RP scene.

This is the most difficult part to overcome, in my opinion. There have to be people available to be approached for people to approach them, but sometimes it feels like not enough people do the approaching… so you have to do it yourself!

Don’t worry about getting in the way of anyone’s RP, or interrupting. If people are in a public setting and not in a dark corner somewhere, chances are that they’ll welcome you getting involved.

The worst thing that can happen is that you’ll have to move on and find somebody else to roleplay with. That’s not a bad thing! Not every connection will stick, that’s just how it is.

Go and say hello to somebody and they’ll say hello back!

4 Likes

Thank you all so very much, what amazing advice. Wish I’d asked this sooner! I’ve now downloaded total RP and can see myself tweaking it for hours and I’ll be on my way to visit Darkshire to see what’s happening!

Also Dawncastle, you are a kind man! Once I’ve found my feet I’ll be happy to give you a wave in game!

2 Likes

I really encourage you to look into the realm campaigns. You’ll usually run into an entirely different crowd of people than you’d see in the RP Hubs, and the campside roleplay is an excellent way to take your first few steps.

There’s a whole bunch running through July and most will let you come along and experience the atmosphere as long as you don’t imbalance the numbers during RP-PvP.

4 Likes

Are realm campaigns the posts I see where people type things up as some kind of grand story? I’ve wondered if those are things I could be getting involved in but I’ve been unsure of how exactly they work!

1 Like

Basically set events run by organizers over a week or a fortnight that take place in different zones around Azeroth. Some of them can be really large in terms of players involved and split over multiple zones. They usually do start with a story, yeah.

To give an example, this is the final from Drums of War, which ran just before the launch of BfA (to represent the attack on Lordaeron):

4 votes and 1 comment so far on Reddit

The organizers will always lay down a series of set rules if you’re participating, and there might be a discord involved to help coordinate. Give any of the threads a read and you’ll get an idea. They can be RP-PvE based or RP-PvP based.

2 Likes

That looks fun!

Sorry guys one more question here. Do you know of any communities or Discord groups to join, like Kump suggested? I’d love to RP on my main but I don’t want to transfer him over to AD as I’m a guild officer on Draenor and I’ve got a good thing going on with my guild there.

1 Like

https://discord.gg/mB2Hhq

For the Alliance EU LFRP discord ^

Chatty’s thread that’s been linked is really helpful as well.

Hey Thaes!

I’d highly suggest looking into the other posts here, they’re great!
In addition, my suggestion would be to make a character to RP with that you understand. For example, if you have little in the ways of lore knowledge, you could try to RP a more lower class person that is just getting into, perhaps, adventuring. This would require you to know absolutely nothing about how magic works or what major events happened outside of your character’s lifetime. Medieval society and all.

I’d start out by looking into recent events to help shape your character’s history, starting with the basic plots of WoW expansions, and if you’re feeling particularly daring, delve into the mysteries of Warcraft 3!

There’s a fantastic website for researching WoW lore which I often lose myself in for hours at a time called Wowpedia! You can use it to look things up or simply lose yourself reading about the stories of WoW’s various races.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Wowpedia

And if you’re interested in learning a little about magic lore in RP, feel free to drop by my guild’s lecture on Necromancy tomorrow at 7pm realm time in Ironforge, details here!

https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/a-rp-event-evenings-of-magic-necromancy/59265

There’ll be time for questions during the lecture if you’re up for asking any!

But most important of all, find yourself a guild or some friends that you enjoy RPing with, and have fun!

2 Likes

Thanks again folks!

I have never been in Darkshire without encountering open-world RP sessions. Last time people were moaning about feral worgens, before that it was why it always seems to be night :slight_smile:

Dwarven district tavern in SW is also a hotspot - to the point where I now switch to walking mode if I’m going in, because I feel so bad about running through someone else’s session.

Ironforge tavern near the bank is a ‘sometimes’.

You can also watch out for scheduled events on these forums - this community seems to have something going every month or so that is free to drop in on :slight_smile:

1 Like

Even just from what you guys have told me I’ve gotten a bit more confidence and currently having a blast in Darkshire :slight_smile:

Any Horde spots you guys can think of that are of similar community quality?

P.s. I don’t think I’ve ever encountered such friendliness on the forums before and I’ve been playing this games since TBC!

3 Likes

Horde is much more guild based instead of just things out in the open, but lately Thunder Bluff has been gaining traction as a place for those with an anti-Sylvanas mindset and the Valley of Honour has always been good for casual stuff.

4 Likes

Thaes, you might wanna give this a glance

This is a large scale RP PvE campaign thats about to start shortly, with both Alliance and Horde involved. Personally, i would suggest you attend it, it will be a lot of fun, and it does not involve the more competitive RP PvP element, which should be perfect for a relative beginner on the RP scene.

3 Likes

Nice one, cheers!