[Guide] So you want to be a Blackrock? ⛰

Quite a nice guide, Blackrock is one of my favorite clans, thanks Demirgen, it’s very useful and well written ^^

2 Likes

Guide unclear, Got killed by Orgrim Doomhammer.

3 Likes

Nice guide. I’ll throw in some tidbits that are probably more specific to AU Blackrock as far as I know.

When it comes to clan identity Blackrock are much more regimented than other clans, as their clan largely revolved (Pre and post iron horde) around crafting (metalworking mostly) and military, it is expected that all young orcs have their place for them determined well in advance of coming of age, owing to their parental heritage but additionally where they’ve shown aptitude.

It is considered customary for male Blsckrock to grow their hair long, not cutting it, until they take on their adult role in the clan. At this point they shave their cranial hair completely off. This further beds the idea that Blackrock have a much more conformist clan identity than other clans. It could also be a custom derived from minimising risks when working with hot slag and molten metal, where long hair would be an annoyance. Nothing about this for female Blackrock however, although their clan appears to be more patriarchal than other clans, whom have female orcs take up position of prominence, this is seen to a lesser extent in the Blackrock.

6 Likes

Cheers!
#baldisbeautiful

wtf I love the Blackrocks now

Really interesting read, especially for someone who had never really thought much or read into the Blackrock Clan. I had previously thought them boring/bland, but I must rethink this now…

3 Likes

Great guide, especially for MU Blackrocks. Blackhand and Doomhammer really are some of the most iconic Orcs in MU (and AU) history and — while being very dissimilar to one another — are still very Blackrock. Their pragmatic way of looking at the world really reflects well what Blackrocks stand for, which is something you won’t generally see from say Warsongs or Frostwolves. It’s what makes them stand out.

Great guide, and I like that it’s focused on these two major characters as sources of truth for the Blackrocks. I feel Saurfang and Eitrigg — while both Blackrocks — do not embody their Clan’s ideals very much or at all. If one were to say they were of different Clans, it would be easy to believe, while that’s not the case with Doomhammer and certainly not Blackhand.

Gardhal’s comment definitely adds some nice flavour too, and only works to accentuate the points made in Demirgen’s post.

Not every Blackrock has to be like this, of course, but knowing what the basis and stereotype is lays a solid a foundation for any Blackrock character, AU or MU.

Great post!

3 Likes

Saurfamg certainly breaks very much with the prior Blackrock traits displayed by archetypal figures. He clings too tightly to honour as an objective ideology rather than viewing it flexibly within the context of the situation. It doesn’t appear very traditionally Blackrock to be driven by ideology. Not to say they’re without honour, rather they don’t emphasise it in a situation where doing so causes only detriment without clear purpose.

We need posts like this for the other clans of Mag har. I may look into this for bleeding hollow (though it will be more AU focused as the MU bleeding hollow are in high proportions now fel orcs)

1 Like

If you like it, go for it. I really like this guide for the blackrock clan and would love to see more of them

1 Like

I have done some editing to make things more clean, and clear, and provided additional commentary under “tactical aspect” as I felt it was lacking a bit.

As a blackrock fanboy, bump so thread doesn’t close down and people can continue asking questions.

1 Like

Wonderful guide!

1 Like

A bit unrelated, but did anyone else read the title as if sung by Elsa from Frozen? (Or whoever sings that)

Ah also, i remember i have read somewhere before, and also seen, that Blackrocks usually use blunt weapona rather than bladed, as, well we can see the Legendary Doomhammer, AU blackhand using his fiery Warhammer which is also named Blackhand, and seems most also use blunt weapons more, following Blackhand himself
Although i am not 100% sure

This is an orc I would get haunted by.

Can’t have guides for Frostwolves and Warsong without one for the Blackrock indeed! It now sits alongside the other orc guides in the “useful threads” thread:

3 Likes

Very nice. My first Mag’har Orc will most certainly be a Blackrock Orc.

2 Likes

Bumping this thread!
I mean it’s good lore. And the blackrocks do look rather good.

1 Like

They look awesome, and are awesome

They are what it means to be a true orc warrior

LOK’TAR OGAR!

In the memory of our Warchief… May his legacy loves on…

For Doomhammer!

Edit: posted two times

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.