Have we forgotten what a game is and how the 58 boost breaks TBC classic?

I am with most classes which is why I can say it’s not much faster. It’s not difficult to become skilled in any class quickly.

You seem to be one of those people who think it’s difficult to become skilled in a class, well it isn’t.

At least I understand that relative words have no absolute meaning. The world should be glad that you are here to say what is easy and what is difficult xD

This is the same guy that thinks world buffs weren’t a problem, whilst admitting that he never touched raids.
Just ignore him :slight_smile:

I never admitted that, you have the wrong person.

Sorry what’s that jibber jabber?

lol that’s how fake news and propaganda gets spread.
People should just ignore you.

Talking about the guy you’re responding to xD.

Example post.

Example post 2.

don’t worry about it - it will be most likely something too complicated for you. Just do your thing xD

You mean like “skilled” has no meaning?

Well that’s pretty far from me admitting to never touched raids, it’s pretty much the opposite.
Just because I value privacy more than proving a point to you morons. I still stand behind my opinion. You are free to believe me as you are free to not believe me. What you believe or not does not change the facts.

Sorry for the late reply but i had to walk my dog.
My understanding about the whole hormone issue was that we interact with our environment through our nervous system and hormones are the ways our nervous systems guides our body, is this a wrong position??

Now on to the topic at hand, Blizzard though reallocating resources or by sheer arrogance in their world building skills deviate from their symmetrical value in races/classes/speccs. And what ends up happening people fluctuate to the strongest ones creating imbalances.
Then Blizzard gets to do the “oh mea culpa” post where they are offering paid services to fix the issue.

Now what is the imbalance that this 58boost is supposed to fix?
The imbalance between a player that played throughout classic and farming endgame content constantly and one that didn’t bother to play for nearly 2 years. Is that imbalance unfair?? Is it unfair that people with different skill levels and different time investment in the game have different outcomes?
The leveling process no matter how tedious is important to the games longevity, paying to skip it lowers the time we get to enjoy the game while again devaluing the effort we put in our chars.

That’s correct - relative words like this have to be put in relation to mean something.

Right, so your point about skilled players levelling faster is a fallacy. Especially considering skilled has no meaning.

How come? Don’t you see the relation in the sentence? One can put words in relation by making a comparison for example ^^

We don’t really know the absolute skill level of those two players but they are put in relation to each other.

Do you know that people compete against each other in speed leveling contests?

If you scroll up you see i defined skill pretty clearly,
Ability to learn, to adapt , to cooperate with others and your effort is your persistence to keep investing time into the game.

… ofc the word itself has a meaning and this can be described with many other words as you did. You can describe it as well as possible with other relative words.
If something is measurable then it can have an absolute meaning, like temperature.
Since skills don’t really have an absolute meaning we create as many relation as possible to capture it. How would you measure someone’s chess skills? You can’t because there isn’t a Scala for it but what we can do is create relations. That’s why chess basically invented the Elo system. One just tracks who wins against who how often and puts them on a ladder - So basically you just get compared to all the other players.

If someone tells you he is “skilled” then you don’t know anything new. Everyone is skilled to some degree.

Just cause skills and effort aren’t measurable doesn’t mean that their value gets decreased when real life currency becomes a factor of measuring success when boosts come to the game.

Yes, this is a wrong, or rather, incomplete position.

The primary way the nervous system “guides the body” is through control of the musculature, facilitated via chemo-electrical signals along the axons to “motoric endplates”.

Hormones are signaling molecules produced by various parts of the endocrine system. which control the biochemical interplay between various tissues in the body. Some of them, like Adrenaline, CAN be released by a reaction in our nervous system. As motoric signals are the way the nervous system controls our movement, endocrine glands and tissues are the way it controls our biochemistry.

Emotions can be influenced by hormones, but usually it is the other way around. e.g. Adrenaline (also a hormone, produced in the Kidneys Adrenal Glands, is released as a reaction to stress, anger, fear or excitement.

Back to topic now.

That has always been an issue with any game that offers some kind of difference, be it in class, race, equipment, stat, or whatever-choice. Powergamers flock to what is perceived as the Meta. This happened in the earliest instances of P&P RPGs, it still happens in 2021, and will continue to happen as long as RPGs exist.

It isn’t supposed to fix any imbalance, that is neither the stated goal, nor something the boost is capable of doing.

The boost doesn’t change ANYTHING about this.

Sorzza is lvl 60, has enough gold to his name to buy epic flying without hurting himself, has a small army of crafting twinks around him, is wearing almost BiS gear from AQ40 & Naxxramas, and starts TBC with an epic ground mount, one Bank-Alt full of consumables, and another one full of crafting materials.

A lvl 58, with crappy green gear (we already know the gear boosted toons get from the beta, and its bad, REALLY bad), 60% mount, no gold, no professions, no attunements and an empty bank, is further behind my main character than a lvl 1 is behind him.

3 Likes

Oh but the boost indeed changes some things significantly, it doesn’t matter how far ahead your warlock is compared to the boosted characters, it matters that player that choose to boost gain extra utility and potential in the game just by using his money.

Let me explain by making this comparison: you and i have 60lvl characters with endgame gear and a lot of gold/materials in the bank. TBC comes and you get a boost and either i cant or wont get one, you just by paying get another toon to use its profession slots gain an additional different raid utility and overall increase your impact and potential reward instantly without putting any effort into it. You just paid and your trajectory now surpasses mine in a noticeable way, and that’s the damage to the game when a player realizes that effort and skill can no longer compete reasonably with effort and skill + money spent for the boost.

Although your point for people like us who have so much to take with us into TBC is to not care about the boost since we are already made for life is partly true we are above its direct effects. I reckon we still should care about it cause the boost creates disparities based on real life money among the player-base and when those become noticeable people tend to stop participating in the game.
Again my argument is that with the boost we will see bigger server populations on day 1 but less overall cause money taints part of the effect of their effort and skill put in the game.

2 Likes

The same is true if I can take 3 weeks of paid holiday leave when TBCC launches and someone else can’t. The same is true if work in IT from home, can spend 12h a week on WoW, and someone else cannot.

The same is true right now, if someone can pay for 2 accounts, thereby gaining acces to things such as faction-spying, self-ports/portals, self-boost, etc.

RL wealth has always been an advantage in WoW, long before any cashhop options were introduced. Is that fair? No. Can something be done about it? Not without a fundamental change in the socioeconomic dynamics of our society.

3 Likes

So that makes it fine to directly give a wealth advantage in WoW?

2 Likes