Help a hunter out (race change))

If I were to switch to Alliance, I would go for Dwarf.

If it wasn’t for the fact that most people I knew back in Vanilla when first starting to play, were playing as Horde, I would probably have chosen Dwarf from the get-go.

Now, having said that. If you like the appearance of a specific race. Go for it.
If you want a specific race for it’s racials, then go for that.

1 Like

Im more about animation and transmogs i like to look good, the only racial id consider is the reputation boost and human in built trinket racial but i mean i am personally a human so i generaly shy away from humans in game.

Its nice to know other peoples choices though :slight_smile: ive already told the guild if i moss a great story in 8.2.5 on horde side then im ggoing to delete all thier characters lol

Well I certainly can’t argue with that. If there was any valid excuse for joining Alliance, that would be on top. Hope you enjoy it man.

Yeah man, I’m so jealous of their animations tbh. And like I said, perfect frames for mogs! You see, I find humans too “stocky”. Night Elves are thin and lean with some nice muscle tone, making them look like perfectly agile hunters.
Funny thing is, I have seen some ranged survival builds happening in PvP. They aren’t as strong as regular Survival of course, but they somehow work… and yes, they were even using bows xD

Yeh ive seen that with shiver venom and ink pods? Looks nutty km hoping i can try it if im lucky enough

Not sure what they use exactly, but I nearly lost my mind when I saw this hunter with a bow go into turtle and use mending bandage. Was like wtf, is that a Survival??

everything is designed for humans so human will look good with literally every item in the game

What do you reckon looks best with raptors? I use that bluenspirit raptor normally i guess himan would be fine in that regard too…just tested a human and their animatoons are rather nice too

A sad thing indeed! Or well…maybe you don’t think so, just shocked that it wasn’t here anymore?

For me though:
#[Suggestions updated] Pre-Legion Survival [4th spec]

I actually love the melee version but ranged survival was my fave spec in the game so id prefer to have it back i tried to make a version work in MM as explosive shot is there but…nope

Nothing wrong with liking melee SV.

The reason for why my suggestions lean towards a 4th spec option is because I wouldn’t want any other players to be in the same situation as me(people like me who loved that spec).

Implementing the old SV spec into any existing spec or making it a replacement for one of them, would not actually fix anything. It would just upset other players who like their current spec(s).

Anyway, back to topic!

I always thought that Raptor pets fit well both with Orcs as well as Trolls.

For Alliance though…I’m a bit hesitant.

Survival was always meant to be the melee aspect of the hunter, it kinda just lost its roots for some reason, meanwhile there was BM for pets and MM for ranged weapons.

They fixed this and just put the 2 ranged abilities that survival had into MM, the problem with this however is that they were not considerate on the sheer number of buttons you would need to press, especially when you consider that stupid rapid fire ability that nobody asked for nor wanted as a baseline ability, i mean you already had barrage talent for that.

and don’t even get me started on that joke of a trueshot change, way to tailor to different builds that use less aimed shot/rapidfire btw blizzard, real good job on that one (/saracsm).

I disagree survival was always the hybrid, ranged and melee…if they gave back explosive shot and a bow as well as a melee weap so basically a dual wield class like it was then i Think they could solve a ton of problems with the community especially if they made latent poision baseline and gave rhe bow black arrow back to detonate it + some damage.

Im all for the fourth spec anyway and survival was always mostly ranged with options for melee.

survival was never a dual wield class, it’s benefit was only felt in pvp where it could utilise large 2-handed crits from raptor strike, swipe people with mongoose counters and immobilise them with counter attacks, in fact the only reason it even stayed at range was so it took less damage while it wore the enemy down while they got into melee to which they would be met with critical strikes close to the level of a warrior.

Back then, even the traps were melee which were survivals “thing” on top of the added melee power.

If you go onto classic wow you will actually see this in place. However, you will not see people using it because everything the spec has is niche abilities, like really niche.

I use it its what i pkayed bsck in the day.

By dual wield i meant bow and polearm i didnt explain it very well tbh

In early Vanilla development where the spec was still called “Outdoorsmanship”, you could say that this was true due to the talents it had at this stage.

But once we got the live version that had been renamed to “Survival”. They had changed that.

In Vanilla and TBC as well, the specs weren’t really designed to heavily define your playstyle(they did not heavily focus on spec identity, like today).

Beast Mastery was mostly just providing you with ways to make your pet stronger. Along with some other stuff ofc.

Marksmanship focused mostly on lowered mana cost + damage to ranged attacks and shots/stings. And…some other stuff as well.

Survival focused on doing just that, allowing you to focus more on survivability. It improved tracking skills, traps and utility + some extra defensives. And it also provided an additional melee-based ability.
The reason for this though, was due to the class generally being punished for being in melee-range of targets/enemies. With the prevention from using ranged attacks. It was meant to make you not so helpless in case you couldn’t get away from an enemy.

But no matter the spec chosen back then, you still had the same core abilities/toolkit. And no matter the spec, you still wanted to attack from afar, as much as possible.

Not really what I would call a fix for those who loved the old ranged SV spec.
Also, the abilities they put into MM talents in Legion weren’t even designed like they were before. Meaning even if you picked those, it wouldn’t feel like you were playing the old SV spec.

Anyway…

This discussion is kinda off-topic so unless @Theloa is fine with us continuing it, best to get back to the topic of the thread.

All hunter chat is good chat :slight_smile: actually been a rather nice discussion so continue away :slight_smile:

1 Like

I dunno, im pretty sure it is based on the concept of wilderness survival, like the ability to make traps to catch yourself some food, or create other makeshift weapons, like a javelin to toss at an enemy, just generally using the environment, plants, animals and all.

The main problem survival always seems to have is that they never seem to be able to capture this concept, even in legion where it was kinda awesome to play it was a bit more like a beast master.

It’s rather curious that they never actually added an actual ranger class into the game which of course would completely fix alot of the problems, not least the whole 2h/dual wield arguement as well as allowing them to further other concepts such as the “marked” mechanic from legion… right now the big issue is that it is an entirely different class for some reason even tho they could have just put that extra class in, instead of changing the one that was already there and working.

The ironic part about all of this is that in giving survival that awkward crossbow for serpent sting, it has created a situation where there is no reason for it to “not” have explosive shot as it clearly has a ranged weapon available now… other than the fact that you still pretty much have explosive shot, its just a grenade now.

The current Survival that we’ve had is loosely based on the fantasy of a Wilderness Stalker yes. For anyone who might not know what that is, think Rexxar. And I say loosely due to SV not utilizing the Dual Wield-option as opposed to currently where it uses a 2h weapon.
Also, current SV has a few other abilities which aren’t necessarily tied to that of a Wilderness Stalker. But hey…the devs have to put some additional flavor into it.^^

Anyway, I was basing my reply(the quote in your post there) on what you said about SV was always meant to be the melee aspect of the hunter.

Which in itself has only really been true for the last 2 expansions(Legion + BfA).

I expanded on that due to what you said about the “roots” of that spec, and losing them over time. Those “roots” being the design we had back in Vanilla.

The thing is, I would actually argue that not a single version of the SV spec we’ve had since Vanilla(and TBC sort of) was actually theme-accurate.

Because no version of SV, since the end of TBC, have actually focused on survivability. Simply due to the change in spec design philosophies on the dev side. The versions of the spec that we’ve had since, including the current ones where it’s now a melee spec, are not actually about Survival(survivability). At least not in the way it was originally intended.

It could. But that would also bring a lot of new problems.

What would the basic core of a Ranger class be?
Ranged weapons? Okay, we now have two classes that mostly focus on ranged weapons.

What specs should it have? What roles should they fill?
And also, what distinguishes the new class from that of the Hunter class?

Not using a pet? Okay, fair enough.
Not using traps? Okay.
Then what?

You could technically make this class fill the long sought after Dark Ranger-fantasy that players have been asking for.
This class could focus on more magical-oriented attacks/abilities.
As opposed to the Hunter class which is mostly about physical attacks and pets + using animal venom/poison and explosives.

But apart from this, what else could you give that class?

You can’t really give the new class the same utility/defensives or offensives as the Hunter class.

Anyway…

There are a few issues with current MSV which prevents us from “merging” it with that of the old ranged SV spec.

The new SV is meant to focus on melee-combat.

Serpent Sting for current SV is not like it used to be(or like Serpent Sting for current MM). For SV it’s more of a niche-ability with no actual ties to the core theme/fantasy of the spec.

Wildfire Bomb is nowhere near what Explosive Shot was for the old SV. Not by it’s animation, nor by it’s mechanical design. I would argue that the only similarity, is the Fire damage.

Having said all that, I very much get that suggestions towards a 4th spec option for the class are ofc a stretch in terms of class development. Simply due to past mindsets and statements made by developers that they don’t really want classes to have too many spec options.

But what makes it a justified thing to do for the Hunter class, part from the fact that this class, have the most diverse plethora of fantasies/fighting styles etc. to pick from, out of all classes.

Also, the old SV we had between WotLK and WoD, it was just that, a previous fantasy with a strong connection to the overall fantasy of the Hunter class.
You focusing on enhancing arrows/ammunition by applying self-created poison or applying extracted animal venom, or attaching explosives to your ammo. This made sense!

It also happened to be a fantasy that was unique amongst the other hunter specs/fantasies. Not to mention the mechanical aspects of the spec, and how they differed from other hunter specs.

Anyway, enough ranting.

If you check my suggestions for a 4th spec ranged SV option, you can see that it would also happen to provide the class with additional strengths in combat(those being the capability to multi-dot, or to deal with spread out targets).
Strengths that the current hunter specs aren’t so good at.

And the upside? No additional ranger class needed for this to happen. Nor would it hurt the existing Hunter specs and their core designs.

Pick the best looking to you.
If you pick only for racials you may regret it later on, that said dwarves got best racial for pvp, nelf shadowmeld can be useful too to stop a cast.
Humans got big time nerfed.
Gnomes if you like to stand out, lol.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.