Help for new rp'ler

Greetings !

First of all im not a native english speaker, it’s my third language. so i apologize for my bad grammer.

Hey everyone have a few question’s that i want to ask and get help with.
getting bored on normal server’s since it’s lvl as fast as u can and start farming ur end stuff and raid e.e i’m more like lvling slow reading my quest’s dialog and trying to enjoy playing my char, so i tought normal server’s are not so mine why not try a rp server, since im not im not familiar with it wanted to ask some question’s.

i know there are rules on rp server like ic/ooc or name rules. i really want to get into it so is there anything in particular i need to care for? how beginner friendly is ad ? and the guild’s out there do they accept a beginner in rp ? how about a background stroy for my char can i writh that i’m new or would it scare ppl away ? i guess farming and raiding are like other server too. need to say i don’t know the lore very well but can still look into it but would love to get to know it while playing so would that be okay or do i need to look up to it bevor starting ? well guess that’s it for now kinda shy so sorry for that and thank you for replying appreciate it.

10 Likes

Stay away from places like Goldshire, the Bazaar in Silvermoon City. If you’re not RPing, always be mindful that you might bump into RPers, and make sure to give them space if you do.

I would also recommend getting the addon called TotalRP3 if you are looking to get into RP. It will allow you to create and share your profile with other players.

AD is very beginner friendly. There are certainly guilds that accept beginners. We all start somewhere :slight_smile:

It’s more than fine to write that you’re new to RP, and people might be more inclined to help you out some.

As long as you have a basic grasp of lore, you should be fine to learn as you go. By that, I mean knowing about how different races behave. You can get an idea of this from how the NPCs in the game behave.

Also, keep in mind that everything that you know and everything that you have read in quest dialog or online might not be what your character knows. In many cases, your character will know far less than you, the player.

The last thing to keep in mind is that World of Warcraft is not set in the 21st century. A lot of phrases and behaviours do not really apply here (such as saying things like ‘oh my god!’).

10 Likes

Not an issue. Most here aren’t native and even those who are oftenly can be a bit odd when it comes to grammar and such. Myself included. Your English will get super good, trust me.

Give this a read. Also install an addon called “Total rp 3”. It will give you a small profile to fill out, others will see that profile as well as you being able to see others profile.

I’ve seen people who started having zero knowledge at all. There might be the odd one out, but you can in said addon give yourself a little badge that tells others you’re a beginner.

I don’t know any on the top of my head but I am sure people will post their guild stuff in this thread. Plenty of guilds do and are ready to assist you with learning roleplay.

In the TRP profile you can write that you are new. Although I suspect you were more meaning in character? Maybe try a simple role and a more simple race to portray. Just to get the hang of it.

Yes.

Whatever race you choose to play, you should know some basics. Like for example a human probably knows that Anduin is their king. Very basic stuff. You don’t need to be a lore wiki in character. It’s important to know some general things though. But it really does depend on the race. A gnome would know about what happened at Gnomeregan, a blood elf what happened to Silvermoon and so forth.

I can also recommend just walking a bit around in Stormwind with a TRP. Read other peoples profile, watch how they play and stuff. You’ll get the hang of it eventually.

5 Likes

Good and informative responses and pretty tired (3AM, help) but I’ll just jump onto this bit -

Yes, absolutely! In fact, I think that’s a very good way of learning more about the lore and getting into roleplay. Your character may well not know much of the other races of the world, distant lands, and so forth… so they can learn about it, from other characters! I’d say the only lore you’d really need to understand and know is that which is directly relevant to you - so that of your race, for example, or what is directly tied to your character’s occupation (if you’re going to play a mage, you’ll want to know some stuff about magic and the arcane for example!).

I think by far most people are very accepting of beginners and newcomers and wouldn’t at all be scared away by you stating that you’re new in, say, your Total Roleplay addon ‘character profile’!

Finding a roleplay guild once you’ve thought of a character is a great idea, as it’ll give you people to frequently interact and do things with in roleplay, going on adventures and all! Outside of that, going for a stroll through Stormwind in RP for example could work very well too - you’ll undoubtedly find people to have some conversations with and that’ll usually help you get a ‘feel’ for your character and what they’re like, I’ve personally found!

Hope that you’ll give things a try and enjoy! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Welcome to Argent Dawn!

A lot of guilds are very excited to teach new RPers so I wouldn’t worry about that.

Not at all. I think you should start with a simple concept and fill out the backstory of your character as you go. Checking up on a bit of lore around the race/class you choose is also helpful.

A lot of RPers do normal content as well so yes, it’s the same.

I think some very minimal knowledge about the lore would be good, especially lore that is relevant to your character’s backgound, but it’s more then ok to not know most of it and find out IC.

Stay away from Goldshire and the Bazzar in Silvermoon as those places are filled with harmful people and predators.

I would say a few addons are very helpful. TotalRP3, CrossRP and Listener are what comes to my mind, but you can learn more about them and experiment with them at your own pace.

Also, I see you’ve posted on a Void Elf. I don’t know if that’s the character you want to RP on (assuming it is) but here’s a nice guild that might fit Umbral Reliquary 🔮 - Void RP

Enjoy!

4 Likes

I would really recommend playing someone like a mage apprentice or a knight’s squire, relatively young and not fully aware of things in the world. If you find the right guild or players then they should be more than happy to educate you and your character! It’s how my mage here learnt a lot about the world and it was such a fun experience, I’d honestly love to get the chance to do it again.

3 Likes

welcome to argent dawn! to echo what everyone before me has said, no one who is worth interacting with will judge you for your non native english or being a beginner, I’d say find something in the lore that really interests you to build a character around, so you end up rping something you really enjoy. enjoy your rp!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.