Here's a fun thought... WoW lore resetting itself since Classic

There is no way Blizzard will do this. Too much work for them and multiple times lines seem way to confusing. They will go the easy route.

However I agree WoW’s writing and story was very convoluted and held back since classic. It hurt the overall story and lore of the game, or even the franchise in my view.
But those things are not really the same.

Of course there are many different possabilities that could have been very interessting.

Thermore Humans and a Horde faction as one random example (and really nothing more).
Night Elves as their own faction and so many other possibilities.

1 Like

crapstic+ will never be a thing the current blizzard don’t care they’ll take the money of you naive crapstic players and laugh all the way to the bank

Funnily enough, I remember when TBC and the new races were first announced nearly everyone complaining about the race/faction choice. Nobody wanted a “pretty race” in the Horde and everyone was really dubious about a more “monstrous” looking race in the Alliance. Although this might have been fuelled by the shaman / paladin swap too.

Here found a silly video from 2006 parodying the whole situation using good old Pink Floyd:

“Hey, Blizzard, Leave the Horde alone!” :rofl: I’m gald YouTube keeps trash like that forever in its database!

Thinking about the topic at hand there might be a way this whole subject could happen. You know Activision - Blizzard basically owns so many other studios, publishers etc in the games world right? They’ve some massive successes with remakes in recent years (obviously W3 is the biggest exception here since it sucked). Take Crash Bandicoot, after having a lot of success with the HD remakes got a brand new game too. Maybe Blizzard will smell the money and basically license this wow+ to some other developer who works under them, and give them some creative control. They’ll still rip the benefits since it’s all under the same brand… And here I thought capitalism is the bane our existence…

There is a question about that in one of pre-release interviews.

We’ve done some stuff that’s involved with time travel and alternate realities. What happens to those souls when they pass on? Do they go to the Shadowlands?

This is a complicated question. How do you deal with things like alternate Draenor? There was a Draka there. What is that Draka? Is she alive? Is she dead? Is she related to the Draka in Shadowlands that we see? Or is there another Draka? We know that in Warlords of Draenor, Velen of that universe died. Does that mean there is a Velen in the Shadowlands? But what about the Velen in Azeroth? All these things are very complicated questions.

The way I would have you think about it is think of a rope… If you look at a rope, it is one thing, right? It’s something that you can grab onto, you can hold it, you can see it; think of that as a character. Think of that rope as Draka or Velen.

If you look at that rope more closely, you can see there are different threads that make up the rope. There are different twines that pull together, and you can pull off one of these threads if you want. But it’s still a rope, and each of those threads you can think of as one of the realities of the character, one of the streams of time… There is a thread that is the Draka from Draenor we visited in the Warlords of Draenor. There is another thread that is Draka on Azeroth as we know her… And there are many other threads that could be other realities that we never peered into. But all of those threads at some time come together to make that rope. And remember also that, as you’ll see, that there are many characters in the Shadowlands when they refer to time, they usually say that time is not a construct of Death. Time and Death are not related. Death is about eternity, not linear time. The manner in which these threads come together, that can take a very long time from mortal perceptions. Those threads can be separated for a time, but sooner or later, they do combine to make one rope that is that character. You can think of it as the threads of that rope, all the individual threads, are just waiting. And over time, they will come together but they can exist as separate entities for a time. That still doesn’t change the fact that they are part of one rope.

© http://lorekeeper.net/en/maldraxxus-shadowlands-and-beyond-interview-with-steve-danuser/

Which is one of those answers that barely answer anything.

The only in-game mention of this topic is no better.

Do you record where all souls have gone?
Caretaker Kah-Sar:
We do, but we do not.
Forgive me for the cryptic nature of the reply.
We record, but we may not recall. Only the Purpose may reveal whether the threads of a soul will rejoin the tapestry of an individual existence.

Yes, they did. Which raises the question about what is that experience alike when a creature combines all the “threads” into a single entity while being alive. Not sure how the devs decided to unravel that complication.

IMO Vanilla (and to a degree TBC) was much more of a journey, and focused on the journey of the player. Currently the story feels like the devs have a few favourite characters, and treat the other characters and places as tools to tell the story about the selected cast.

I remember watching a panel about Thrall during the last blizzcon. By the end of it I had 2 thought:

1. it’s kind of cool that they are passionate about the thing they do;
  2. so… where is the place for the player in all of this? Why is it supposed to be fun to participate in uncovering the story? Where is attention to the fact that this is an mmo? And mmo with slooooow narration. How do you retell the older details to new players? How do you take into account that a lot of the story you claim is relavant, was placed in other media?

And like, no answers. As if they sit together, and discuss what would be cool in their opinion without thinking about the way the players see all of that.
:man_shrugging:

Actually, if this job will be given to that team that managed to make good re-masters of Crash Bandicoot, Tohy Hawc Pro-Scater, and now working on the Diablo 2 one… maybe there is a chance.

But I’ll keep my expectaions low.

gl hf

3 Likes

Ah yes, I do remember stumbling upon this info before. Even if it did answer anything it’s such a dumb concept. If there are infinite realities with infinite possibilities, surely this means that everyone’s “shadowland essence” can simultaneously be a hero, a coward, a king, a slave, freedom fighter, a fascist etc etc whilst having lived countless different lives with different results… Marvel got the concept of “Nexus beings” to basically justify how some characters will be always the same across the multiverse. Simplistic, but more effective than this nonsense.

One may dream… One may dream!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.