Ion doesn't deserve the hate

I dunno, maybe the actual teams responsible.
Director doesn’t mean “be all end all responsible for everything that happens”
But people do blame him for stuff that he would have zero impact on. For example, people on Reddit literally blamed him for Pandaren starter gear not being transmoggable… a decision made before he was director… and something that would be changed with literally NO input from him if it was to be changed.

There are certain things which sure, Ion would have a degree of blame for, but people blaming him for absolutely ridiculous stuff, like what I mentioned above, is insane.

1 Like

Yep, fire Ion, hire vanilla devs back, would be 10x better use of investor’s money. Then maybe I’d get a chance to be invited to Betas again, I’d shill for them all day.

Pls no snarky replies, I can already see people fuming, I am right, you’re wrong.

Nice, we’re getting slow paced gameplay, melee get to auto shots only and bosses get mechanics pruned. Now, let’s also make the game as ugly as in 2002 !!!

Let’s make the game slow and unskilled so it’s become enjoyable once more !!!

Erm yes it does. Directors are ultimate heads of a team that then generally report to the company managing director. Things fail -> director gets the crap who then passes it down to the team/person who is responsible. Its his job to make sure systems, art, music, back end stuff and all the rest all work in tandem to give the narrative they are after.

Everything that is developed for WOW has at some point gone via Ion for the ok. Wether that be the initial concept or the final system. He is game director. if things are going into the game without his ‘ok’ then they have serious organisational internal issues at Blizzard.

8 Likes

Complete ignorance

Sorry. This is not how the corporate world works. If the boss can take the credit and take out multi-million pound/dollars/yen bonuses then they can take the sword when it falls on them as well. Its a double edged sword. They are responsible and accountable.

13 Likes

You guys want a boring slow game, I ain’t ignorant, this is what you guys want. Don’t deny it ! You want content gated behind long rep grinds !! You want it !! You want an easy game, just face it !!

Partialy i agree but in the end its him doing decisions.

what i dont like about him thats he has 0 passion for the game and he probably dont even play it. His soulless answers like “we are so excited to xy” he ussually doesnt even answer the question somebody is asking.

1 Like

as someone else pointed out, yes it does. if he is not checking on those under hims quality of work, then that alone is a failure of his position, nothing to do with the game.

5 Likes

everybody in charge of making decisions at actiblizz sucks

2 Likes

you think if the vanilla devs came back they’d make the same slow combat as 15 years ago? like they were just forzen in time while the rest of the world went on? Yeah ignorant

1 Like

This is what the people who want classic back are asking for.

Of course he is responsible and deserves even more criticism than what he is getting.

3 Likes

Investors only care about their investment / £/ $, they don’t care about game design/implementation

Ion is not in charge of project deliveries or timeline as it is the job for project manager or game publisher in some gaming companies title

Ion is the lead game designer, so his job is to design game systems and overall world for expansions.

So no, he deserves the hate and should be rid ASAP

8 Likes

My only issues with the game currently are balance and RNG. I can understand how RNG is linked to longer sub time and drawing in $$$, but balance is completely on him and the dev team.

I’ve got a basket of rotten fruit and veg at the ready to throw at him.

No i don’t want his head on a spike but a nun with an annoyingly large bell walking behind him shouting " shame , shame!" Would suffice.

Coming back to 2021 , don’t like his ideas about my game. Don’t dislike him as a person.

1 Like

Is he naked in this fantasy of yours?

No no ! take those images back ! my eyes … time to be the first dk to go dh !

Wasn’t he the one who told us to wait til the end of expansion so we can solo legion raid though?

3 Likes

yes exactly. again, alienating a substantial portion of the player base for NO reason.

always remember, it was Ion who took flying away in WoD. never forget.

7 Likes