Is Check PvP legal?

Its always fun to do that as most of these laws are so generic and vague no one really know what they mean =P

My be that the info was already with the 3rd parties but wont be updated from now on.

3 Likes

I’m thinking the same.

Not my first rodeo.

I made a change and updated my character before testing, so the new data I saw could not have been cached.

There is no reason to believe that that setting affects APIs.

How long was it between you updating your pivacy settings and you rechecking your character?

When you change the privacy-setting on your bnet page there is a clear message saying: “Your preference is still being processed. If you need to update your setting for Game Data Privacy, please try again later.”

So I think the time between changing your settings and checking wether your characters were updated on that site was simply to short.

I just visited this site, to check its workings myself, when I noticed a wholly different issue with that site -> it has a link to a very illegal website of wich I will not share the link to.
Tha could definitely make checkPvP break Blizzards’ API rules. Especially part D of the API ToS:

Applications Must Not Negatively Impact Blizzard, Blizzard’s Games, Services, or Customers,

And that link on checkPvP impacts those points wholly.

Just by this rule all these sites should be opt in only, because they can impact negatively customers when offering data that can be used for stalking or such.

The intention of the website is to find players of your MMR, check players you faced and such. People who miss-use the system to stalk–shame on you!

I just found something in the account settings:

**Share my game data with community developers**

Blizzard allows external developers to build applications and experiences for our players using game data. Unless you turn this share off, some information associated with your Blizzard account, such as gameplay data and your BattleTag, may be shared with external developers. Your name, email address, physical address, telephone number and other similar information will not be shared without your specific consent.

Is this setting potentially the cause of it? if so, why is this default on and not off? I do not recall being alerted about this.

I would recommend turning this off and then changing your battletag after, to ensure your data tracking is not maintained somehow.

I would also recommend blizzard to turn all accounts to off immediately and allow them to turn it on, for the reason i stated earlier in this thread.

A small thing I should add to this, Check PvP is in fact harvesting a piece of your personal data, namely your email address. The only way that seems to work in getting your alts unlisted is to actually register with the site, thereby providing them with an address that is linked to the account proper (otherwise how else would you be able to claim ownership of a character to remove the data links?) as well as a log of your I.P. address.

Whilst not exactly the most incriminating of things it is still personal data that the site can potentially then sell on using the data it’s gleaned from the API and it’s ‘opt-out’ registration service.

Also, to the person who asked why I would want to deprive PVP-ers of a way to track someone’s rating across the board, I understand why this tool is useful to you, but at the same time no-one should be able to track a player across multiple characters on their account, as it opens the floodgates to potential abuse from players looking to harass or stalk others. PvP players probably won’t see the value of this at first, but anyone who’s played on an RP realm or who has streamed the game and attracted a few of ‘those guys’ looking to make a nuisance of themselves will. As a golden rule, if it’s something I could use to track down a streamer on their hidden alts to harass them for the lulz, it shouldn’t be available to anyone but the developers.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.