Is noone interested in the community / guild-system anymore?

2 months ago or something my group of friends tried to get back into WoW.
So we tried looking for guilds / communities.

Outside of hardcore “progress-guilds” and those that are wannabe hardcore “progress-guilds” we couldnt find any communities nor guilds that were interested in the general content of WoW in 2019.

We mostly didnt even get replies. We couldnt find people who were interested.
We waded through a swamp of dead small-scale communities we found on Reddit, etc.

I get that players are using the LFG systems, but that’s not what we were looking for.
It wasn’t our “high-standards”, really.
Is noone interested in using the community-tools to build cross-server interest-groups?
Is there an underlying issue that makes them useless?
Were we just terribly unlucky and always in the wrong place at the wrong times?

Our standards

Casuals looking for "large" active communities for PvE, PvP, M+, etc. content

2 Likes

I think the problem in aiming for a ‘large’ community is funneling it down into the 5 man content.

Unless you’re raiding with a set group, I can’t see the attraction of being in a large group which will just split into small cliques to run Mythic+ anyway.

It’s a shame in a way that the nature of the game has changed this much - but here were are.

1 Like

I’ll just venture a crazy thought, that most communities or guilds of the sort don’t have someone actively searching for players to join them, but instead already rely on the fact that they already exist in that form and thus players could look for and apply to them instead. Especially since you are looking for relaxed, casual players, you should possibly figure out that they wouldn’t be online 24/7 to actively recruit, nor pressured about that.

After a quick glance at your standards I would say you are looking for everything under one guild, that’s not that common to find. Most guilds either concentrate on raiding OR pvp OR being social and not really doing that much of the other two.

You are looking for something very niche.

3 Likes

It’s about a resource-pool of players with shared interests which you could potentially always try to tap into.
The LFG tools as well as the open world of WoW nowadays are largely populated by completely random people you’ll likely never see again.
The interest being to put a more personal note to it again, potentially getting to know the others in said resource-pool, etc.

Compare it to ingame-communities like the “Haulers Channel” in Eve Online.

I’m afraid you misread the intention, but I see how people could get confused / scared away by it.

It becomes a habit when there is hardly any benefit of interacting with other players

Its all about rush and push those days sadly

3 Likes

People don’t want to enjoy the whole game, they want to finish the end boss in a sensational way.

…very much a single player mindset.

1 Like

I am an officer, and I login 3-4 times a week for a couple of 400-ilv quests.

Regular members level alts or don’t login at all.

At times there are 2-4 people online in entire guild. We accept new members, but nothing really offsets the huge outflow.

2 Likes

There’s potential for any type of guild to be successful - if you can find the right members: motivated and proactive players that care about the guild. They make it work.

How to find those ideal guild members… and how for them to find your guild? They are out there. If only you/they could connect. Guild finder, chat and forum recruitment, too clunky. Word of mouth can work for the very popular guilds, good for them.

We need an overhaul of the guild finder UI - turn it into a matchmaking system, with an interface to find either a guild, or guild members (opt in). Use in game guild and player activity data to filter the results. Players can pick guilds based on activity, guilds can accept or find players based on their activity. Make it all easy to search and join, as easy as LfG.

I’m trying to build interest in WPvP guilds, because that’s my interest. But it relies on a % of the small % of War Mode players that come to the forum being interested. There could be plenty out there interested, but they just don’t come to the forum. If they had an easy in game guild search UI, as easy and intuitive as LfG… if if if.

4 Likes

I feel yeah there bud. You couldnt said it better.
I to have the same problem. Only recently i stumbled on a nice pvp community where i made myself some new awesome friends where i can enjoy pvp for how its ment to be . Got damn lucky with it after so many months in the search of a nice home.

If i could find one for the pvp part wpuld be epic.

Unfortunately that’s what the game has become, WoW is now very much a single player campaign game with multiplayer elements.

There is also the problem of too many small guilds who want to grow on servers. No GM wants to give up their guild to merge with other small guilds.

I’m still really enjoying the game in my small guild of 5 friends.

4 Likes

I’d say there are plenty interested but the game just lacks a proper way to search communities or a dedicated way to advertise them ingame

I mean only so many people visit the forums

2 Likes

What do you consider “general wow content”. Ive seen raid , dungeon, pvp , leveling and rp guilds. Even erp guilds.
If you join a casual guild you get variety.

My guild when it was active waa great.sometimes grouped for chill dungeons, we did casual as f normal mode raid night. Few people dud pvp,but was mostly leveling and chat

Also I heard that the forum player base is different then the ones who never use it for example I had ppl in game tell me:Do those forum posters even play the game,which tells me they are clueless about us :joy: .

If I scroll through https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/c/recruitment/communities I see plenty of communities that may cover at least some of your needs. So yes, they exist and some are actually interested in them.

But there are also advertisements on reddit etc, gotta look around a little :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was so excited when Communities came out… I made Calm Keystones Horde and it grew huge… then we had trolls come in… caused issues and kept coming back. So we had to keep changing the invite link every day… it got tiring as I was spending most of my WoW time feeling like an admin worker.

On top of that we grew so big… we reached cap and I needed help to run it… trouble was any promotion in the community also gave that person the right to kick everyone out of the community :frowning:

So for me it was amazing, but in the end was a failure.

With a few tweaks it could become even better than guilds… I loved the way we could have people from any server with us.

1 Like

One thing that could help Communities and Guilds both is some transparency.

I would like to see statistics like:

• Number of members
  • Number of members online this week
  • Max number of members online each day
  • Number of dungeons done in a group
  • Number of current/old raids done in a group
  • Number of BGs/Arenas done

displayed on the website.

Then people could see what kind of activity and which levels of content were being focused on. As it stands, there is a huge graveyard of guilds and communities created with a lot of hope but no activity, and you can’t really find out what it’s like without joining.

4 Likes

I read your list, you are looking for a guild that does it all. Nowadays most guilds are only actively doing 1 or 2 things off your list.

This is usually due to time constraints of people to lead such events. On my horde alt, I am in a guild that focuses on achievements, mythic raid & dungeon progression, and the odd fun event.

This guild only holds events at certain times and we have one event per day. While it may seem like a pain, it just worked out that particular time worked for most of the guild members (after the guild leaders did a poll on discord).

We do have other guild members who do battlegrounds and arenas but we do not have guild events for those.

Similarly I was in another guild on that same horde alt, where the guild tried focusing on like 5 things on your list and people simply were not showing up, so the guild leaders got upset and tried refocusing the guild on like 2 things and that guild died, because they kept changing the guild’s focus and people would leave each time they did.

I am in 2 communities that seem to hold events, but they are once again focused. Your best bet would be to join a guild that is active and holding events, then supplementing the other things on your list with communities either in WOW or on discord.

1 Like

worst time to search for a guild in wow,
intereste in wow and bfa is at lowest point ever,the only hype is for classic

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.