Join the Fun of the Community Discords Program

They then took all of that out and provided explanations of what rocket bot actually did and would be doing in servers as part of the contract (Which is really not very much at all, just checking how often a few keywords are said in specific marked public channels). I commend the community for rightfully holding blizzard to account for an initially awful contract but the amendments made are very agreeable.

No it didn’t say that. Whilst I agree that it was all very legalese, the community twisted it into something it was not.

I do agree there was an uproar. I disagree it was unfounded. Yet, I do agree it became hysteric in the end as the narrative ran wild.

It stated the program partner could not speak ill or negative about blizzard AV, blizzard, blizzard AV partners, blizzard partners or anyone affiliated with blizzard entertainment. This shall last forever, under threat of all and any legal action that could be pursued. Main issue was, blizzard was not only protecting themselves against slander, it was all negative criticism. Basically, they tried to browbeat people down with threats and illigal contract structures (do know, it is legal to put them in, it is illigal in most of the world to enforce them).

Now, I understand you think it is legalese. That the courts/commoner wouldn’t for some reason read that contract and be “it says A and B, so A and B is stated”. Yet even the lawyers that got brought in agreed that it was what it meant. So… yeah.

Anyhow, let us leave this discussion in the past where it belongs. I know you are super blizzard-chill on this topic in particular, and will not bend on it. So it is what it is. I won’t comment on the past any further. I just get annoyed when someone with a greentext in particular comes and handwaves away a huge issue and the crux of the uproar.

That uproar was just.

That’s not quite what it said but I’m really not going to dredge that whole debate back up again.

I didn’t struggle to read it. I did understand that people felt overwhelmed by it.

They weren’t going to sue anyone. That again was a presumption.

I’d just like to people to judge it for what it is and not what it might have been had there not been intervention. It’s for sure disappointing and shouldn’t be ignored that it was necessary to revise it at all, but what was the point of us wanting them to revise it if we’re still going to shun it after they’ve done so?

That’s the problem with perception. It’s like Elon Musk saying he’s going to remove the ability to block, he can’t actually remove the feature it’s a requirement for it to be listed on both the apple store and play store. But word spread like wildfire that he’s removing it.

So far there are a small number of communities taking part. It may grow once people’s perceptions change.

1 Like

Because they did basically nothing to change the legal document?

2 Likes

The fact that your old thread died should have gotten you a pretty solid indicator what the community thinks of your “program”.

Ye good luck lol.

Not to mention they basically, again, want the community to do their jobs while wanting them to abide to their rules at the same time. And considering all their forums (their very own platform they never properly utilized in the first place) have absolute pee poor moderation this is just hilariously sad.

5 Likes

Thats actually exactly what it said.

I find that quite patronising, yo’re basically saying people who disagree with you may have been a bit overwhelmed (poor dears!).

If they weren’t going to sue anyone why did they try to get all communities to sign up to this with the threat there?
Given how litigious US companies are the the devastating damage that could be caused by “US titan with bored legal department vs. discord ran by gamer where a member said something mean about Blizzard” lawsuit why would anyone open themselves to that risk?

It’s an initiative that was stillborn because of Blizzard’s legal teams heavy handedness, tone deafness and the unwillingness of whoever proposed the initiative to stand up to them with common sense. It’s tainted with that and should be.

The approved list is laughable, 7 discords. One of which I realised I was a member of. I’ve left it. A small mostly petulant act of no consequence, but screw this initiative. Let it die and learn from it.

1 Like

yeah this is gonna be a hard pass for me, way too much drama around that discord and i’m not even in it, yet all i’ve heard is bad things about it, so nah thanks

Also Puny already defended this terrible idea back when it was posted the first time, so not a surprise they are doing it again

2 Likes

It didn’t but this is futile. I’m really not here to start all that again.

It’s clear perceptions here are still the same. You’ve all made up your minds.

It’s a shame this always ends up off track.

I wish the communities taking part all the best with their ventures.

Oh stop it. Don’t say "I’m not going to start it all again when you did just that with the bit quoted below.

The original document https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/template_resource/8l/8LPPTKSM4OIS1683313493815.pdf

16 pages (for a community discord initiative for God’s sake) with clauses such as.

refrain from creating content that (i) includes inappropriate or offensive material ( as determined by Blizzard in its sole discretion)

and

PROGRAM MEMBER EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGES AND
UNDERSTANDS THAT ANY BREACH OF THIS SECTION I WILL SUBJECT PROGRAM
MEMBER TO CIVIL AND CRIMINAL LIABILITY TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT ALLOWED BY
LAW, AND WILL ALSO RESULT IN CONSEQUENCES INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION,
TERMINATION OF THIS AGREEMENT

and

Because of the unique and highly sensitive nature of the Confidential
Information, Program Member acknowledges that Blizzard and/or its licensors may suffer irreparable
harm if Program Member fails to comply with the provisions of this Section I and that monetary damages
will be inadequate to compensate Blizzard for such breach. Accordingly, Program Member agrees that
Blizzard may, in addition to any other remedies available to it at law or in equity, be entitled to seek
injunctive and other equitable relief to enforce the terms of this Section I and to prevent any actual,
potential or threatened violation of this Section I by Program Member and in seeking such relief, Blizzard
will not be required to post any security or to prove the inadequacy of available remedies at law. Program
Member expressly agrees that it shall bear all costs and expenses, including attorneys’ fees and costs,
incurred by Blizzard in an enforcement action resulting from Program Member’s breach of this Section I.

You’ve somehow paraphrased Blizzard reserving the right to threaten legal hellfire (examples above) into “community hysteria”. Because Blizzard have a long and illustrious history of acting with integrity, ethics and high moral values, don’t they?

Any initiative that pairs the phrases ‘casual discord owners’ and ‘enouraged to seek legal advice’ misses the mark on many fronts.

This isn’t “offtrack”, its core to the perception that Blizzard’s past actions have created about themselves.
When there is nothing at stake I’m happy to take Blizz at their word and hope they live up to my expectations. When a 16 page legal document is involved, not so much.

Anyhow, you’re right that minds are made up, and with 7 signups my feeling is most made the right decision.

8 Likes

Great all this months and you still learned nothing about the contract and impact how they want to use your personal data.

3 Likes

As I said I’m not going to comment anymore because people will presume what they want to presume.

I think it’s a lovely initiative for communities who want to take part and it’s great to see some taking part.

This will help with the misconceptions.

hard to disagree on that point.

Wym presume ? It’s literally written in the most clear way…

Lovely initiative to swarm casual discord server owners with lawsuits because some member posted some bad stuff in it ?

1 Like

Puny already defended this last time, for like 300 posts or so they kept arguing with people about how much of a “good initiative” it was and that it was “nothing bad” they’re basically just doing it again which is kinda funny

1 Like

You can see what the communities are offering if you read the article

No one wants to though, I wonder why, Hmmmmmm

1 Like

Sad that even community managers don’t help the community anymore and help to secure the privacy data of their members.

I can only advice everyone to check twice if it’s worth to join those discords that already sold their soul to a company.

3 Likes