Kangji's Daily Snapshots ((Forum Game)) ~ Thread Now Ended !

Lore on the location:

Lore

This is, as Punyelf pointed out, the home of the Fire-God Ordos. Located high in the Timeless Isle, Ordos sacrificed his mortality to become a demi-god, and ruled over the Timeless Isle and the Yaungol. Due to his transformation, he is in constant pain, as his flesh is always in the process of being burned.

As leader of the Yaungol, he is revered by many of them, and in rare occasions Yaungol Pyromancers set themselves on fire in honour of Ordos. Especially the Ordon tribe has based their culture around the Fire-God.

The Yaungol in general were not always so violent; they are the predecessors of the Taunka and the Tauren, but unlike those races, the Yaungol were in constant conflict with other races. After the great Sundering, the Yaungol were unable to contact the Tauren and the Taunka, and were left to their own.

The Timeless Isle in general is a mysterious location. After it suddenly disappeared in the mists surrounding Pandaria, it had only appeared a few times, moving through time and sometimes appearing on different locations. It is here that we learn more about the Pandaren empire, but we are also tested by the August Celestials.

3 Likes

I thought this place is in Talador as I am just questing in there, but that dragon in the background tells me this place is in Pandaria, but no idea where.

So, 0 points for me on this one :sunglasses:

edit: sorry Haiete I cannot like your post as i have used all my love for today. But i do like and respect the Lore part you provided, thanks for that!

1 Like

And I appreciate your appreciation. I still want that like though. :wink: (jk)

1 Like

Hey guys. Time for another Snapshot. :slight_smile:

#33 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/ruy46qF

^^ Wow… Punyelf, you pretty much nailed it! :smiley: You may be surprised to know that this particular path way happens to have a name. The correct answer is Firewalkers Path - Timeless Isle. Well guys, if you ever get lost in WoW & need some directions, Punyelf is the perfect guide. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also thanks again for the lore post Haiete, a very interesting read… I actually had no idea that there was any lore made for the Timeless Ilse. :stuck_out_tongue:

Now lets see where the next Snapshot takes us…

#34 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/mXQEEs9

2 Likes

I really have played this game a lot and for many years :kissing_heart:

Imgur

Summary

Temple City of En’kilah, Borean Tundra, Northrend

Cool picture and I did recognize the place immediately :grin:

Spoiler

Borean Tundra / Temple City of En’kilah

Thanks Punyelf for posting the picture here in the forums, makes things a bit easier. We have to get Kangji to higher trust level so he can post the pics directly to the forums

2 Likes

Howdy folks.

#34 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/mXQEEs9

^^ The correct answer was Temple City of Enkilah - Borean Tundra. Well done again to the usual suspects, Punyelf & Leroch. :smile:

Now onto the next Snapshot…

#35 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/NNqc4Kx

2 Likes

Imgur

Summary

Entrance to Blackwing Descent on top of Blackrock mountain which is kind of in two zones, Burning Steppes and Searing Gorge.

2 Likes

Lore time!

Lore

Blackwing Descent is a Raid that was added in Cataclysm. To understand what is going on here, we need to go back in time.

When Azeroth was still intact, and had only one continent named Kalimdor, the Dragonflights decided to work together in defeating the invading Burning Legion, who were summoned by the Highborne in Zin-Azshari. Neltharion of the Black Dragonflight created the Demon Soul, a small disk that would contain the powers of all Dragons combined. It would be used against the Demons, and it was capable of destroying entire legions completely.

However, what many did not know was that Neltharion was being corrupted by the Old Gods, something that would also happen with the rest of the Black Dragonflight. During a battle between the Kaldorei Resistance and the Burning Legion, the Dragons showed up to lend their aid to the Kaldorei Resistance. However, Neltharion soon seized the moment, and suddenly forced everyone suddenly to bow before him, and killed the ones who refused to, Kaldorei, Demons and Dragons alike. The Blue Dragonflight refused, which resulted in Neltharion wiping their kin out, only leaving a few alive.

This was when all Dragons realised that, while they were agile and powerful, they are also vulnerable. In fear of the Black Dragonflight dying out, Nefarian, the oldest son of Neltharion (at this point called Deathwing) started experimenting to create a new Dragonflight. The first results were created in the Blackwing Lair. The Chromatic Dragonflight was created, but only a few survived, and the rest were either too weak, deformed or died before hatching. He was incautious, and the Adventurers took out Nefarian.

When Deathwing returned, he resurrected Nefarian to conduct these experiments again. Nefarian did not take unnecessary risks, and started experimenting in the Blackwing Descent… Monstrosities would be created, twisted and deformed creations - such as the Drakonid and the Drakeadon, who would pose a potential danger against those trying to take out the Black Dragonflight.

This Raid shows how deep the corruption of the Black Dragonflight goes. They were willing to create deformed monsters to protect their kin, methods that were only scarcely used and only by the most dangerous and vile groups and armies, such as the Nathrezim in the Burning Legion.

2 Likes

Hi everybody. Really sorry I didn’t post a Snapshot yesterday… Quite a busy weekend at work! Got called in for a few hours of overtime & completely forgot to make the forum post. Today will be a double whammy to make up for this. :stuck_out_tongue:

#35 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/NNqc4Kx

^^ The correct answer is indeed Blackwing Decent - Blackrock Mountain. I believe Blackrock Mountain is pretty much considered its own zone, However it is situated between two other zones, Burning Stepps & Searing Gorge as Punyelf rightly points out. :slight_smile:

And now for the next two Snapshots… Yesterday’s & today’s. Good luck & i’ll be back tomorrow.

#36 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/Jz736yA

#37 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/0lTFruw

1 Like

Man, I was a bit worried for not seeing another screenshot yesterday :sunglasses:

The first one is obviously

First

Grizzly Hills / Blue Sky Logging Grounds

one of my favorite zones in the game. The second one is

Second

Thousand Needles / Fizzle and Pozzik’s Speedbarge

Do you have any screenshots prior Cataclysm? Would be nice to guess the old zones :sunglasses:

edit: Waiting for Haiete’s lore part for the zones

A bit harder since the locations don’t have a lot of background info, so I’ll have to go with general stuff.

Lore for number 36

Contrary to what some may believe, Northrend has been colonised by multiple races, especially the Humans. Human settles have lived in Northrend for a while. Many of them chose to become a woodcutter or hunter, as there are plenty of trees to cut down and game to be hunted, but their relatively secluded lives changed when the war in Northrend started after the Lich King attacked Stormwind and Orgrimmar multiple times.

With the war going on in Northrend, the Alliance have turned some of the settlements in military bases, as Grizzly Hills has an abundance of resources necessary to fight a proper war. The Horde, however, also turned their eyes on the zone, for the exact same reason. The Westfall Brigade, part of the Valiance Expedition led personally by Varian Wrynn, has fortified multiple settlements to be used as a military basis.

Tensions between the Horde and the Alliance went high here. It even escalated and led to a skirmish in various places. The war properly started after Varian Wrynn declared it during the Battle for the Undercity, after seeing how the Forsaken were conducting twisted experiments in the Apothecarium.

The Blue Sky Logging Grounds is no exception, and veterans of the war in Northrend will know that it was a daily questing hub mostly focused on PvP but also PvE elements. It is supposedly a strategic base, and is necessary to have a steady output of lumber.

Lore for number 37

The Fizzle and Pozzik’s Speedbarge is a bit harder in terms of lore. Most of the history of Thousand Needles got wiped away after the zone was completely flooded by Deathwing, including the race track that was built under the location of the ship in question, on the Shimmering Flats (now called the Shimmering Deep).

The ship is supposed to be enormous. We’re talking about a city-sized ship that is probably a major trading hub with tons of ships coming in every day (or it just has a lot of boats docked). It is also one of the few places where Goblins and Gnomes were able to work together, and they have been able to run the daily operations smoothly together for a while now.

They were also able to move the race track to the city-ship, and races are still taking place. The Speedbarge however is also under constant attack by the Southsea Freebooters, a group of pirates who can be found along the eastern and south-eastern parts of Kalimdor, composed of multiple races but mostly Humans.

2 Likes

Hey guys, time for another Snapshot. :slight_smile:

#36 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/Jz736yA

^^ The correct answer is Blue Sky Logging Grounds - Grizzly Hills.

#37 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/0lTFruw

^^ The correct answer is Fizzle and Pozzik’s Speedbarge - Thousand Needles.

Well done again to Leroch & Haiete, you guys got it in one! :smile: Also nice to read up on some fascinating lore regaring these locations, even if they are not of great interest or importance lore wise. :+1: :smiley:

Now lets see where the next Snapshot will be…

#38 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/nRDr4eX

1 Like

Imgur

Summary

I am not sure if it’s own zone but it’s the Yak Wash quest at Lao & Son’s Yak Wash in Kun Lai, located around Yaungol Advance.

I always go out of my way to do that quest. It makes me giggle.

2 Likes
Not spoiler

This is in Pandaria and there is the white tiger temple behind. Can’t remember the zone or location, sorry :expressionless:

1 Like
LOOOORE

Like the others, I am not entirely sure what the name of the location is, but yeah it’s something with having to wash yaks, a quest you don’t easily forget. :’)

Yaks have always been important for those who lived in Pandaria. Grummles use them to travel around Pandaria, but they are also used by many other races. They function the same as Kodo’s do for the Horde - they are strong and heavy, being able to carry a lot of stuff, and they can endure many forms of different climates.

They are also able to fight, and have been employed for that by the fearsome Yaungol, who also… they kinda look like yaks themselves, don’t they? And apparently, yaks can be washed. Or should be washed. And if you ever need your yaks washed, you know where to go to. :slight_smile:

I think everyone recognises the temple in the background. That is obviously the Temple of the White Tiger, built to honour Xuen, one of the August Celestials (and a Wild God!) and he is meant to resemble Strength. Not only physical strength, but also willpower and discipline. Like the other August Celestials, he advocates not for good consequences of your actions, but for a strong character. Adventurers visit the temple to gain entrance to the Vale of Eternal Blossoms, provided after they completed three tests.

3 Likes

Yo folks.

#38 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/nRDr4eX

^^ The correct answer is Lao & Son’s Yak Wash - Kung-Lai Summit. Well done again to Punyelf, you are today’s winner. I always go out of my way to do the quest associated with this on any character I happen to be levelling… Always gives me a giggle too. :smile:

And now to the next Snapshot…

#39 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/PWN5nny

Go’shek Farm - Arathi Highlands (pre-BfA).

Lore

While the Arathi Highlands has… not the most engaging questlines, it is a very interesting zone in terms of lore.

Before the first Human kingdoms were established, the Humans lived in tribes after being banished from their former Vrykul kin. Thoradin unified the tribes and created the first Human empire, the Arathorian Empire and the first city, Strom, was built. This was not welcomed by their Troll neighbours, and the first Human empire was led in a war against them, the Troll Wars. The Humans allied themselves with the High Elves of Quel’thalas for the duration of the war, and the Humans were taught the basics of magic by the Elves.

After a decisive victory for the Elves and Humans, their attention turned inwards: Thoradin explored the northern parts of the Eastern Kingdoms to find out more about the history of humanity. However, the immense power of Arathor was not long-lived: many Humans left Strom to establish new kingdoms, including Dalaran, Kul Tiras and later also Stormwind and Lordaeron. The power would slowly shift to Lordaeron and Stormwind. Arathor renamed itself to Stromgarde, named after Strom, and the whole Arathi Highlands became part of that kingdom.

The kingdom was still powerful, and with their location near the water, it became an important harbor. When the Second War arrived, and the Seven Kingdoms united in the Alliance of Lordaeron, Stromgarde sent a lot of help to defeat the Orcs. Following their defeat, Stromgarde housed at least one group of Orcs in the internment camp of Hammerfall.

However, the Third War did not go well. Nearly all Human kingdoms were destroyed, including the powerful Lordaeron. After Archimonde was defeated at Mount Hyjal, the power of the kingdoms shifted to the newly established Theramore and the rebuilt Stormwind. Stromgarde still existed, thanks to their remote location and Thoradin’s Wall, and was nearly untouched by the Scourge. However, Stromgarde was unable to keep itself standing for long without any of the northern kingdoms to trade with, and internal problems such as Galen murdering his father, Thoras, to become king himself. This instability resulted in the Syndicate and the Boulderfist Ogres to take most of the kingdom, including the city of Stromgarde itself. The remaining Humans created the League of Arathor, and dreamed of rebuilding their kingdom one day.

The Arathi Highlands became a sandbox for other races, and the Orcs from Hammerfall turned their former prison into a town. The Forsaken, who had allied themselves with the Horde, entered the kingdom from the west. Both Forsaken and Orcs expanded to the south, and occupied Go’shek Farm. The Forsaken started experimenting here to create the New Plague, and the Orcs used the farm as a source for food for Hammerfall.

Go’shek Farm reflects the rest of the Arathi Highlands. Abandoned and desolate, but with a rich history. He who visits Stromgarde would see that the city is destroyed, with only a few Stromgardian guards still walking around.

However, the League of Arathor had not fought their last battle: during the Blood War, King Anduin Wrynn ordered the Alliance to rebuild Stromgarde and the surrounding towns and farms. The Horde responded by building Ar’gorok, and attempted to attack Stromgarde. The Kingdom of Stromgarde has become part of the Alliance again, and is currently lead by Danath Trollbane, a cousin of Galen (who was slain by the Ebon Blade).

I know, it’s a lot, but if you talk about the Arathi Highlands and Stromgarde, you cannot ignore the rest of the history that took place here. In my opinion, the Humans have a very interesting history (up to and including the Third War, I don’t care much about Stormwind) and the Arathi Highlands greatly show that Humanity was once the very center of the world.

2 Likes

Howdy folks! It’s time for “Wheeeres Kangji”!

“Where, where, where, wheres Kanji?! Where-O-ho where-O-ho where is Kangji, where is Kangji, where, where?!”

^^ Nah, the “Wheres Wally” theme doesn’t quite fit… I’ll think of something. :wink:

#39 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/PWN5nny

^^ The correct answer is indeed Go’shek Farm - Arathi Highlands. Well done Haiete, you are today’s winner. Also this must be the biggest lore post you’ve made so far, so congrats on that as well. :stuck_out_tongue: Oh, & thanks for taking the time to post it too. :slight_smile:

Now we move on to the next Snapshot. Today is another mile stone, 40th. As usual, two for the price of one, with the inclusion of a bonus Snapshot! :smiley:

#40 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/kGDe9NT

Bonus - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/qLXnPsL

See you guys tomorrow.

1 Like

First is definitely in

Spoiler 1

Crystalsong Forest, Northrend, but the area, my guess goes to The unbound thicket

Second one is

Spoiler 2

Outlands Nagrand, maybe Laughing Skull Ruins?