Lack of social activity within the playerbase

You can find nice people and horrible people in all mmo’s
i dont think that wow is the worst not the worst by far!

continue to be nice be helpful and you’ll find nice people to play with eventually but try to find them and begin friendships don’t expect them to find you

Honestly this social awkwardness comes from the Playerbase.
This has hardly anything to do with LFR/LFG. -Since it’s the attitude of the Players.

I left the other day my guild because I felt like there was no space in this already friendbase for an outsider.
Sadly there aren’t many good Guilds to pick from on my server since every other gamer seems to simply move directly to AD or the other top servers.

I also miss the good times when players were players and Guilds were actually not just a tool were the main group of the guild needs to do everything for the poor “I want everything free” Member. When Teamwork was still Important for the playerbase.

There is too much “Ego-Playing” nowadays.

1 Like

it has everything to do with LFG/LFR and other covinience features like crossrealm, sharding etc…

3 Likes

There’s plenty of friendly people. And the negative behavior exists in game is how people would behave IRL as well if they were hidden behind anonimity, that’s why all online communities have a percentage of toxic players, the % that exists is based on the amount of policing the company does and how competitive in nature the game is, i.e, league is definitely more toxic than say Animal Crossing, lol.

I can’t say I’ve spent that much time playing other MMOs, I’ve only played GW, FF XIV and LoL, all of which had a much more toxic community compared to what I’ve experienced in WoW.

I partially agree that the game design can lead to bad interactions, but I personally wouldn’t have it any other way. One of the main things that I enjoy about WoW is that the game is based on cooperation between players, and has a multitude of difficulties that can make the game more or less punishing, but I don’t feel that the game should be dumbed down to the point where individual performance doesn’t harm the group’s performance, regardless of whether that’s doing the raid boss mechanics properly or failing a damage check.

As far as I’m concerned, the fun is in the challenge. Obviously, wherever there’s a challenge, there’s also the chance of failure, and I don’t think you can fault the game for the way players react to that failure. There will be some guilds that will be very tolerant and others that will resort to insults and flaming, that’s something that every player should figure out depending on how thin-skinned or thick-skinned they are.

You have no idea my friend, be happy for wow community how it is trust me.

The sadly defunct Age of Conan had an amazingly friendly community…

Although, now that I think about it there was only ever about 12 of us playing that game.

You cant have toxic community if there is no community is propably what you had on mind. Toxicity being part of your experience is prove that game have heatly and active community. Becouse if you desing game where toxic behaviour is limited or you trying to prevent it. It also means you removing ways and reasons for all players to interact with each other.

I have played WoW and other MMO’s and the base communication is…

The same.

People just don’t use the In game chat system nearly as much as it is really clunky, nor the Voice one as it is pretty bad. I have spend nights in discord with fellow players, but rarely type more than 5 sentences in an pub or LFG unless a memery occurs.

If you removed LFR and LFD how would dead realms do anything ? think about it even with new connections realms are having a tough time . LFD was buoght in during wotlk when game at peak at 12.5 mil players communities back then even way back in classic were just as toxic and anti social .

Server identity died in 3.4 when cross-realm was introduced. That was a major turning point in the game.

HOWEVER, if I chose to be a moron it’s up to me, shame on me, I won’t blame the game. Join a nice guild, enjoy!

WoW have pretty unfriendly community. Mostly they relate to each other aas business partners, but not like game friends. So if i’m(we are) interested in you then you are welcome. Thats basically coz this game very similar to second job - a lot of players said that(job) about WoW btw. Game forced players to reroll their favorite classes, people frustrating by a lot of thing in PvP, PvE, tryhard and all of this lays an imprint at social things. A lot of players just want that other MUST help them in 100% case, others don’t want to do that for free, especially now when there is a tons of “helpers” for gold and RMT services(why i should do that when i can do it for gold/money?). Actuall this is a big problem tho. The game is not the game anymore.

1 Like

Because wow is a Pseudo-MMORPG, its more like a dungeon based game.

The lack of social activity has to do with the fact that the game is designed around Esport enviroment such as timming of mythic runs and the ranking system in pvp.

I think a lot of the problem is the gatekeeping the community has within itself. You aren’t considered a “real” player unless you do X that everyone else likes to do. Someone will always have the correct opinion about what you should do in the game and will generally act superior than others. But that isn’t really specific to WoW, that can be said about everything. With all that being said, it isn’t that hard to put forward the effort for a change! Generally change starts with the person wanting it, be the change you want to see in the game. And hey, you’re always welcome to a friendly chat with me some time. :slight_smile:

Pretty much this. There are many open doors, but noone want to come in, rather close them.

Wrong. LFD and LFR is why the game is anti-social.

I bet if you removed those things for ever, over time it would start being more social again.

Classic says otherwise. It’s entirely possible

1 Like

Because that version of the game dosen’t have instant que’s implemented in the game. So you are forced to actually communicate or start grouping up with others.

AD Toxic? There are toxic people on there, just like anywhere else. As for a lack of social activity, it is kind of sad yeah. I’ve been in a guild where the highest ranking officer and the guild master were some of the kindest people I can recall meeting in recent years and they made me want to invest myself. Unfortunately, people rarely responded to greetings or questions to instigate some form of social activity (except for those two).

What’s your reference though, I’d like to hear. The only other MMO I’ve tried to any real extend, even though I never reached level cap, was FFXIV. That game seemed to have the same exact issues and I played on 3 different servers.

I also played Star Wars The Old Republic a fair bit and that game was like a single-player experience through and through.

Are they less or more social? Well SWtoR was definitely less social, but FFXIV was the same as WoW I’d say.

One thing I’m slowly learning is that arguing with others online, people you’ve never actually met: Hell, you don’t even know what they look like - Think of that last part in particular and arguing tends to feel a lot less relevant. It’s not bulletproof, but it’s a start.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.