Mac Support Update -- November 16

Ok, sounds nice I guess.

Will WoW 9.0 then run better on my MacBook Pro 2016 ? Thx :slight_smile:

I know quite a few Linux users though. As long as games are not made available it won’t be worth making it available. It’s a chicken & egg problem. If wow would natively work on linux, I could finally ditch windows…

Never expected that from Blizzard. I am interested to see benchmarks

No it is not easy. First listen to this clip by Linus Torvalds (The creator of the Linux Kernel). Note the entire video is more than 1hr long, but the relevant part start around the 5min mark, and lasts about 6-7 minutes.

The TLDW of the clip, is that maintaining the app for many distros is hard because distro maintainers don’t care about binary compatibility and they even break compatibility between different releases of the same distro.

I know the video is 6 years old, and may be some things changed since then, but a lot of what Linus says in this 7 minute segment is still true today.

Since as you say people ALREADY can run WoW on Linux using WINE, so Blizzard is not losing a lot of subscribers by not supporting Linux.

So, it’s simply not profitable.

… compile? Compile? “Manually compile binaries and libraries?” Compile? Literally copy pasting one command to start whatever build system? Compile? First IT lesson in middle school was literally how to compile our Pascal hello world program.

Compile? Literally the only time developers talk about compiling, is when it’s taking too long. Literally no one goes “well, finished writing code, time to roll up my sleeves and get to compiling”.

Compiling lmao, he did compiling, this hackerman lol.

Of course they “can” and of course they “want”.
But it is a matter of money. Plain and simple. How much money spent versus how many more subscribers they will gain.

Anyone see this video, guy played WoW even through Rosetta on high settings.

Go to 2mins 30.

1 Like

Even more footage:

2 Likes

In the case of WoW it’s literally running the makefile I’m pretty sure. They don’t depend on large external libraries other than the ones Apple provide anyway.

Wait - everything maxed 40 FPS?!

That’s really impressive on a laptop. VERY impressive.

What’s impressive is that it’s got no fans.

Yet it is still 2-3 times faster than x86. Shows how much behind PCs actually are.

They’re going to have to move it to Linux at one point as it looks like Windows is heading in that direction anyways. But they can just continue to support Windows even with linux type kernel and all underneath so doubt there would be that much of a problem coding and maintaining the game anyways.

Microsoft is doing it in small stages really, little bit here, little bit there but it’s on the way.

The biggest problem is getting the game to work with the soon to come Big.Little chips. I would hold off on those for at least half a year to a year until scheduling can be figured on both on OS kernel level and WoW client as well.

But until Linux gets to a single standard, it’s never going to get a good gaming market share. If it does, it’ll be under the Windows name with MS copyrighted addon code that makes things work such as DirectX and all.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.