Malefic Rapture is unfun

I mean if you don’t like it, that’s it and you can’t really change someone’s mind about it.
I think it’s well designed, fits well within the spec, rewards good DoT management, gives us tools we didn’t have before.
But to each his own.

1 Like

It killed historically great arena spec that won the most Blizzcons and turned it into mobile target dummy. It doesn’t fit spec if it’s all about running and dealing passive damage.

But I don’t understand, in arena you don’t really use malefic rapture no ? You use the 3 shards spender that make your DoTs tick more often no ? Or Deathbolt ? And occasionally the drain life burst with inevitable demise. Or am I completely uninformed ?
I don’t do pvp a lot, mostly chill rbgs in guild where I do rapture a bit though.

Rapid Contagion by itself doesn’t do enough pressure to score a kill. It’s mainly used to deal damage when enemies line you and it has CD. It’s not that you can win by just using it. That’s why some people play Casting Circle into certain matchups to just spam MR that is your true meaningful damage and it’s actually too much. The problem is corelation between damage when you cast MR and when you are trained.

On the other hand MR can crit up to 20 k with all dots and CDs. Such gameplay makes Affli basically clunky. That’s why you won’t see it in AWC. It’s too easy to shut down.

For me the big issue with MR is that because of it the dots itself (which to me is what the specc should be all about) don’t matter at all. All that matters is the amount of dots on the target. There was a good post on the US forums recently which sums it up well imo:

You only care about how many dots are on the targets, rather than what the dots are or what the dots are doing for you. Your only concern is how many dots you can cram onto a target while you spend your five shards rather than what your dots are doing or how they interact with the rest of your kit. Corruption, Siphon Life, and UA may as well be the same button with three different binds. Agony’s only saving grace is that it generates soul shards so we can use Malefic Rapture more.

Phantom Singularity and Soul Rot feel flat because they reinforce the playstyle of buffing Malefic Rapture and don’t impact our kit in an interesting way outside of that interaction.

Phantom Singularity and Soul Rot should be dots that we want to press on cooldown because they are powerful dots on a cooldown and interact with our kit in a unique and meaningful way rather than something we cast solely to buff Malefic Rapture. While Phantom Singularity and Soul Rot do have additional effects, as a player, I am not really considering these secondary effects because the primary reason why I am pressing those buttons is to buff Malefic Rapture. In this case these two dots just feel like Corruption #4 and #5.

Even our class cooldown, Darkglare, doesn’t feel like a real cooldown in its own right. Its core purpose currently is that it gives us a longer Malefic Rapture window with Soul Rot and Phantom Singularity. It’s extending our dots, the effects which we don’t actively care about, so we can press the only button that we do care about.

This is not just a tuning problem. The problem is that Malefic Rapture itself is the only way that we can optimize our spec. Even if Malefic Rapture was only 15% of our damage, the spec would still feel as though it pivots around maximizing the number of dots on a target to buff Malefic Rapture because we can’t interact with the spec in any other way.

Full post: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/feedback-warlocks/1302299/20

2 Likes

Dont you think if your spec has ramp up it needs to have a point it peeks higher than
non ramp up specs? MR did that for aff until they nuked it. In modern wow you cant just be ramping up into nothing, the design of most fights benefits having burst windows, unless the dmg is considerably overtuned ofc.

Aff lock pvp damage during regular Dot dps cycle : 4-5K dps with all the usuall disruption

Aff lock pvp damage during Malefic Rapture spam : 14-16K dps with all cooldowns+PI

I think we can see what is wrong here don’t we :slight_smile:
Rapture sucks up all our damage into a super unhealthy gameplay, that revolves around vomiting all your damage into a 20 sec window and then wait.
A single spell basically puts a 3x,4x modifier on our damage, and everything is gated behind cooldown stacking and hardcasting shadowschool over and over.

→ Unfun

I want to do high consistent DoT damage again, for real

My suggestion would be, make MR work like UA during BfA. If we need a siehe to deal dmg it should be a dot

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.