[Meta] Worth the effort?

I suck at using the WoW forums on mobile so I can’t reply to everyone individually but thank you for your responses they are much appreciated, I am excited to start a new adventure on WoW :slight_smile:

Also, out of raw curiosity I googled Lilynore. 30 minutes down a rabbit hole and 30 minutes of my life I am never getting back. :joy::joy:

Have a lovely day everyone! If anyone else has advice I will check back :slight_smile:

4 Likes

All the best to you! Find the people you like, a place you enjoy and get going and all will be great.

Ps. I’m sorry you lost that thirty minutes.

“Knife ears!” But…but you’re a Troll, have you seen your ears? Does that make you ‘Cutlass ears?’… “Felsucker” But, but you’re an Orc, I mean -look- at you, your species quite famously did drink felblood, I mean, you even liked it, whereas we just got these crystals in to keep the buildings floating…for like…a year, then sacked them off when we found the ignition key to the Sunwell.

“Puny and effeminate!” Errmm, lets be fair here, it is always the other species getting sexually confused, not the elves…as for Puny, we did a pretty good job of messing with a 25,000 year old civilisation’s spacecraft, and pretty much with our allies did conquer the home world of the Orcs, which gives us a kind of higher success rate than the Orcs have ever had…and that was with 1.5% of our species…yeah, sure, puny…

Kalimdor was fun times back then, still is sometimes.

1 Like

You wouldnt get it

2 Likes

Like some others in this thread, I also struggle with having friends on all sides who more or less dislike each other. These days I fear that if I join guild/group X, then person Y will cut their ties to me and that closes a lot of doors for me. All my friends are important to me and I don’t want to lose any of them. :frowning:

1 Like

I will pray for your soul and sorry you had to see it.

Looking forward to see you around, I can be found in the valley of honor when I’m up for rp.

There are for sure people that should be ignored but as someone relatively new to AD sometimes it can be hard and often downright impossible to catch up with all the past blunders. However, people who deserved to be ignored often are both disturbing and disruptive in a pretty consistant manner.

As for a more “lowkey” type of “ignoring”, there is plenty of “casual” RP that usually consists of self-inserts and while I wouldn’t ignore those characters per say, I find that interactions with them can be very tedious because character development is not something those people seek and it shows.

There is an addon called Gryphonheart Items. It’s an RP inventory that allows you to make custom items with various effects, ranging from displaying information on your screen to really immerse yourself, or just things like books to share with other characters.

Like all things on the internet, GHI comes with a disclaimer to never accept unknown items from strangers. The reason for this in GHI’s case is a dwarf called Coldforge.

Coldforge was perhaps the most successful troll on Argent Dawn in terms of pure damage he caused, yet few know his tale. Since most people think trolls are just OOCers disrupting your RP with mounts, nobody ever suspected this kind dwarf mage who struck up an interesting conversation with people.

Coldforge was by all accounts a good RPer. He’d prowl the streets of Stormwind IC, looking for his next victim and roping them into RP. Before long he’d pass a GHI item to his newly found RP friend before going on his merry way. Using the item made your character spam slurs directed at all manner of minorities, both racial and sexual non-stop until you were muted or banned.

He went unnoticed for long, and eventually as his infamy grew, Coldforge vanished. To this day it is said he isn’t banned. I saw Coldforge the other day in Stormwind, but someone claims it’s an imposter who had claimed the man’s name.

3 Likes

I’m genuinly curious to what degree people will /ignore or exclude others purely due to association. Say, if someone never did any ERP in their life, nor was in a guild, which had any of the sort, but was friends with someone, whom did ERP. Would you choose to ignore or exclude the person in question merely due to association?

You shouldn’t be friends with someone who ERPs.

Doing that would suck cause you’d end up with fewer and fewer people to RP with in the long run.

I personally only ignore people who’ve done me, personally, wrong. Which is like UHHH… well, I do believe all three left WoW or are hiding now. Nobody to ignore luckily!

“We don’t RP with those people” has been the cancer of the server for all the time I’ve known it.

I was told this line verbatim in one of my guilds in the middle of the worst of it, ostensibly as a means of defusing tension and for everyone to get back to wholesome storytelling but people were obviously still sharpening knives and I was painfully aware of the source. Later, I learned more and was appalled at the way both sides behaved.

I’m only happy when I don’t bother and just log on to make my stories but it’s honestly getting harder with all the meta server politics and layers of dirt to wade through just to participate.

3 Likes

There is a difference between personaly ignoring someone and adhering to a group’s rules. If a guild let’s say makes it clear that some people for whatever reason are not to be interacted with one should respect that or move on imo.

I don’t think anyone does that

In fact even in the PCU we recruit players who have ERPed in the past as long as they’re aware that if they do it from the point of joining on any character they will be kicked / not return.

It’s more important to show people a better way than to chastise them for things they’re no longer doing (with some notable exceptions)

11 Likes

You hit the nail on the head. Barring the obvious factors like ERP and people who roleplay generally inappropriate themes, there has always been a power complex issue for a lot of people on this realm who consider themselves “above” other roleplayers. This only encourages other toxic behaviour like only roleplaying in cliques, unnecessary bullying of new players or those who may not be deemed “good” based on simple things like not being as articulate or having problems with spelling.

Guild-wise, I’ve never heard the term “those people” had actual legitimate reason behind it. It’s always, in my experience, been down to jealousy or petty RP-power struggles.

2 Likes

The thing is, it’s not wrong to question why a guild or community won’t interact with another group-unless it’s for obvious reasons like I stated in my post above. Plus, a lot of these “reasons” aren’t actually that reasonable.

When I have joined guilds in the past and they’ve instantly blacklisted other guilds/communities for whatever reason it usually just means “we don’t like these guys for a petty reason and we’re not going to try and fix things like adults whilst also respecting our guild members are their own people, not an extension of our own opinions.”

I’ve witnessed people being kicked and verbally abused because they’ve roleplayed with someone the GM just personally “doesn’t like”. That’s not adhering to perfectly sensible guild rules, that’s a power complex.

1 Like

I would rather have new people whisper me OOC to clarify things, ask questions, and be willing to improve than having self-inserts too proud of their OC, who’s character development is shorter than the walk to the inn.

We’ve all been new at some point, but too often advice is mistaken for unfounded criticism.

That’s what I’m talking about, not just ignoring troublesome elements but rather this corrosive game of controlling interaction and actively feeding divisions and a destructive exclusionism. Often, it’s based on nothing but hearsay, chinese whispered rumours and manifactured outrage and controversy based on nothing but deliberate misinterpretation via old grudges or miscommunication by refusing to communicate meaningfully and with a steady, mature mindset.

But then, that’s just a self feeding ouroboros and the problem grows itself beyond all reasonable recovery. All I can imagine just trims some hedges and at best convinces one of hundreds that they’ve been doing something detrimental.

Such is life. I can’t burn myself out on this again. I’m neither a guild politician nor a relationship therapist.

1 Like

these days if you say you’re in the pcu you get arrested and thrown in jail

1 Like

Are we talkin IC? Because that’s a part of the realism I think people look for when roleplaying.