MM scaling problem

Firstly, all of my posts are purely for PvE.

Nope, it’s not. Go press it in game. The problem that you ‘think’ it will cause, already happens, because aimed shot is closer to a 4 second cooldown with 0 haste. It’s completely irrelevant.

If you are unsure about anything written here you are more than welcome to join the hunter discord and ask some questions.

1. There are no haste caps.
  2. If it was a DPS loss then we wouldn’t do it lmao

Just reviving this to point out bad hunter scaling.
Now yes it was covenant that got “fixed”.

But point still stands, hunter withouth external powers is much worse than most other classes.
Please go and try to Sim other classes withouth covenant abilities usage and do see^_^

Wait what? Nothing has given evidence of bad scaling? People didn’t suddenly gain 20 item levels in the past week since you last claimed this.

Even if this was true (which I doubt but can’t be bothered to go sim it), it’s completely irrelevant because we will be playing with covenant abilities/soulbinds/legendaries for the entire expansion. Class power without them is absolutely meaningless.

They are meaningful though.

Having low base power and high borrowed power(covenant/soulbinds etc.) Means that some covenants are left too much behind, and imbalance in between covenants makes certain types simply better no much how low numbers are.
Even if wild spirits got another small nerf it would still most likely be picked n1 pve covenant due to fact other covenants don’t cover necessary things we lack.

Second thing is PVP: with low base power of class and high barrowed power, players who want to PVE might not be able to PvP at all due to fact that covenant makes or breaks the class.

Have these problems appeared for other classes? Not many. You see warriors, rogues, mages with different covenants, perfectly working in PvP, as they have high base power and can choose covenant more freely.

This does not apply to hunter. Hunter has low base power and as such unless specifically picking PvP covenant you will be behind in damage burst or utility.

Noone would swap for necro if they play all 3 hunter specs, as it doesn’t play to our strengths.

And here is the problem, would hunter be worse off Devs added real scaling to our damage abilities but nerfed covenant ones?
If your rotation got 10% damage boost that your covenant lost,we would have identical DPS, better sustained damage, burst would be tad bit lower but this would give power to our trueshot and double tap making them without WS higher value and you could just choose any covenant to want.

This would make covenant choice less about position on ratings and more about class itself.

I’ll be honest, I really hate how wild spirits in m+ clears where you nuked bosses fast was like 25% of your damage pre patch.

Now imagine same scenario in PvP.
If your barrowed power does 25% of your damage but is useless as it is easily avoided, you technically just lost 25% damage while some other classes do not. It is god awful to play with and it is plain bad tuning.

Scaling is not supposed to be bound to external abilities, at least not such a big part.

1 Like

Because I was bored I went and checked, and it’s just not true.

My druid dropping it’s covenant lost ~21% damage.
My warlock dropping it’s covenant lost ~16% damage.
My hunter dropping it’s covenant lost ~16% damage.
My priest dropping it’s covenant lost ~13% damage. (And is known for having notoriously weak covenants).

Hunter doesn’t seem out of the ordinary in regards to covenant power at all.

These are after the nerfs to wild spirits SST interaction. Last I checked it was n1 before that.

That would make it ~3% more of a damage loss, which would still be below boomkin.

Boomkin has a very RNG heavy covenant ability as abilities are cast at random. It has very big variance for the same effort.

I have seen boomkin in mythic do 127k DPS for about 10 seconds, with a perfect convoke. On Mists 1st boss right after droman died for damage boost with haste and all that.

I would really not know if you can sim that much at all, but it really is an outlier

My sim had 25k interations with a margin of error of ~6 DPS (0.1%). So the variance has absolutely no impact.

It should be about right then, but take current MM as having about 96.6% original DPS.
Our current covenant Sims at 16%.( Last I checked was a few weeks ago). So I’ll trust you on that .
16% of current DPS loss plus previous 3.4% loss taking into account 16% is taken from 97% of previous DPS is 19.5% more or less. And this is hunters single target, our known weaker side for MM. How big of a part is it for AOE?

You gotta realise hunters weakest side after our non existent 2 target cleave, single target is almost 20% bound in covenant ability.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.