Music Thread đŸŽ¶ (Part 1)

2 Likes
2 Likes

Pirate music is always good, but tbh there are better tunes than PotC theme.

Good ol’ Finntroll.

When it comes to pirate themed music then the german band Running Wild is among my favourites, especially the “Black Hand Inn” album.

1 Like
5 Likes

Aye, Finntroll is one of my favourite bands. My lynx tattoo on the right shoulder was done by their guitarist Samuli, who has a tattoo shop in Germany. :'D

Massive fan. Been even travelling to Iceland to see them together with Skalmöld in December 2019. One of my last shows before the pandemic

Running Wild is awesome, too. I have Under Jolly Roger here and the album patch on my battle vest together with the finntroll version of the Jolly Roger. :skull_and_crossbones:

If you’re edgy though, you need to admit that Running Wild is more Power Metal than Pirate Metal.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Doesn’t most pirate metal fall under other broader genre terms though? But yeah, it’s why i called it pirate themed, even if i’m not huge on specific genre labels outside of when i need to look something up. That being said then Under Jolly Roger is another great song and honestly cool for you to have gotten a tattoo by Finntroll’s guitarist.

It’s probably telling of how active i am in regards to concerts and festivals that my last one was Sybreed and Hatesphere way back in 2013. At least i got to see Sybreed before they parted ways with their lead singer and decided to stop producing music under that name.

My slight preference for more industrial/groovy metal probably comes from listening to Mnemic - Ghost way back in my earlier teens.

1 Like

Pirate Metal can be defined as a subgenre of Folk Metal specifically using musical elements dating back to the Golden Age of Piracy, such as the Scottish reel or the Irish jig. You also have sea shanties which have their roots in African work shanties.

Not much into Industrial except for some bands like Die Krupps. More into Doom, Viking and Folk / Pagan. Viking especially if it has a doomy note to it like in case of Ereb Altor or Skalmöld.

NWoBHM, Thrash, Melodic Death and Atmo Black / Blackgaze is alright too. And I very much enjoy Psychedelic Black Metal like Oranssi Pazuzu.

Prog depends
 Djent is fine. Can’t deal with the Core side of it though.

1 Like

I’ll probably have to disappoint a bit when it comes to how much i do enjoy some metalcore and a bit of deathcore from time to time. That being said then the djentier side of prog metal is something i very much enjoy, especially bands in the vein of Tesseract where it has a bit of atmosphere to it like with VOLA.

Besides that then i listen to more or less all shades of metal. It mostly comes a bit in waves where the different subgenres are concerned.
Another thing i have a slight soft spot for is metal with an oriental/arabic note to it like with Myrath (power metal), Al-Namrood (black metal) and Aeternam (probably symphonic/melodic death metal, not entirely sure). Narjahanam is a bit of a lesser known one with a base in black metal.

Definitely adding Oranssi Pazuzu to a list here for when i want to listen to something on the more atmospheric end.

2 Likes

That was lit thank You, can’t believe we forgot about them. It went down smooth :wink:

1 Like
3 Likes

Yeh, I’m guilty. Not much of a Metalcore / Deathcore fan. My main issue with that are those whiny sequences hitting whenever I almost started to like a song. Plus a lot of Core fans behave absolutely toxic at Metal festivals while having absolutely no clue about the genre’s roots or traditions (e. g. no karate in the pit
)

Tesseract is alright though. Same for Meshuggah, Periphery, Devin Townsend and Animals as leaders. Oriental Metal’s also great from Nile to Orphaned Land. I’m a big fan of Pentatonic / Phrygian Scales anyways. Currently looking forward to finally seeing Lowen regarding that. They’re a somewhat sci-fi themed Mesopotamian / Sumerian Doom band from the UK with an absolutely adorable female front singer whom I share a common love for Klingon weapons with. :')

Aeternam is really good live. Think I saw them opening for Venom a few years back. Didn’t disappoint. Symphonic Metal has quite the potential for exceptional compositions. Therion’s album Secret of the Runes is absolutely legendary there just like lots of Nightwish stuff when Tara was still part of the band.

Symphonic elements like male unisono, opera choirs and orchestrated melodies are something that floors me every time while listening to Viking Metal or Pagan bands like Russian Arkona. (Valkyrie Metal really
) I’m like Carter Pewterschmidt imitating the Maxell commercial there, with such atmosphere haha.

Talking about atmosphere, your VOLA reminded me of a medieval electro band I haven’t listened to for way too long. The name’s Helium Vola and since it’s one of my “autumn playlist bands”, I shall just leave it here for your Industrial / Gothic heart to fall in love with. :')

2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

Avatar is at it again with a solid song.