[N-RP] Evermore Entries

‘This night all teleportation magic within Dalaran was disrupted due to an arcane storm south of Azsuna. Unfortunately, this meant that very few were able to attend the teachings of Mairead Greyleaf. Alas, we have decided to postpone her Leafy Lecture a fortnight. It is not easy being green!’

6 Likes

“Tonight, as the white lady rose, I talked of the peace I hoped would come in the wake of recent news but in my heart, I fear that this world has already lost all chance of peace. The darkness continued to stir as I spoke. There is still more to come of this, but what?”

7 Likes

(The entry is full of charcoal marks throughout the text. The marks are all perfectly symmetrical; they look strategically placed to censor out certain words.)

My lady found my **** journal again. ***, why did she open my pack on that *** night of all *** nights? I’d tricked her into thinking that I’ve stopped saying **** and other ****. Now she brought out that stupid *** swear jar again. I’m gonna go broke on that **** thing all over my big **** mouth.

I’m gonna start hiding this under that new hat I found. Nobody would think to look there. I never wear hats…****, I hope she doesn’t ask why I suddenly changed my style.

(Below the badly written, unevenly spaced passage is a message written in charcoal with slightly less squiggly handwriting reading: ‘caught you again.’)

5 Likes

‘Professor Pallin that works within the Scribes’ Sacellum is sometimes a bit absent-minded regarding books. I enquired to buy ‘Fantastic Herbs and Where to Find Them’, but received ‘Festering Herpes and When to Fight It’. Umber may be able to help me. A fine excuse to return to the Moonglade!’

4 Likes

Isilae flicks back through her journal to an early page. A smile upon her face she rereads the old entry.

“I see Long Ears lands. All forest. Beautiful forest, but forest still. Meet interesting Long Ear when take Snipper through forest. He ask I have green fingers. Poor thing colour blind. Draenei not green, we blue. I follow poor Long Ear incase need help. Meet many other people. He ask if have green fingers too. Agreed to help Green Fingers until madness gone. Maybe need Naaru.”

7 Likes

‘This entire night was spent looking at old herbaria with Malvor in Nighthaven. We also planted some Dreamfoil in his garden to commemorate Athelas. His son, my friend. It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the Emerald Nightmare at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love.’

4 Likes

Isilae picks up a pen to write the latest entry in her journal:

"Mairead show us ritual of tea. It very relaxing experience. Take much time but worth every moment. I travel Pandaria now and will continue ritual of tea as journey continues. I find out Draenei as difficult for other to learn as Common for me. Feel better knowing this, yes?

One of Beard people speak form of Common that confuse all. They not want ritual of tea. Stand and be drunk instead. Horde Long Ears also visit. They not kid me, they together! Cute! Wish them well, I do!"

She smiles as she closes the book.

[Draenei]: Blessed Naaru, I hope to be as happy as them one day.

6 Likes

I was on guard duty last Tuesday…I only get one day off a week, which is fine. I came here to help. I was on night shift, me and three of those local cat centaur things. Toll-fears, they call themselves. Good people. Our guard tower be across the delta from their big city. Isolated. Not near a trade road. No disturbances, which be disturbing in and of itself. I get jumpy when there be no action, but the locals seemed fine. We were usually fine.

Past midnight, me and one of the toll-fears got interrupted in our card game by gibberish from outside. I jumped up cause I was jumpy, so I got out there first to see if some traveler got dehydrated or another usual happening like that. On the flattened road, beneath a torch, this…thing was stumbling. Like a drunk, but I didn’t smell alcohol. It looked like a human but not Wastewander. The thing danced up to me when my buddy finally got her behind out there and tried to touch me, but not with its arm.

All over its body, it had cuts without blood. It was opened all over, but not undead…bloodless wounds usually mean aged undead, but this thing looked like holes had opened up naturally. Then I saw what was reaching for me: comin out of a hole in its stomach was a purple tentacle. Everywhere, in most of the holes, these feelers like a starfish were fightin to get out and poke me. The human’s face wasn’t scary, but it was weird. The toll-fear hissed in, well, fear when she got close enough to see what was babbling. The thing smiled at me like it wanted me to touch it too, and I saw a third eyelid opening on its forehead.

Well, what was I supposed to do? I don’t care how brave you think you are; you see crazy crap like that, at night, outside a city, and you gonna get scared. Rexxar himself woulda got scared. I had a stick in my hand since I’d forgotten my mace back in the tower, but the thing was - at one time - just a little Menethil human, so it died as soon as I hit it against its temple. Dropped like a rock and stopped babbling, and my buddy comes over with her torch meowing and hissing when it changes back to normal. All those tentacles, the mutated parts, they didn’t even melt or pull back; they were just gone.

I looked at my card buddy and asked her if she saw it too. She said yeah but started havin a panic attack, saying we’d be punished for killin a traveler. I told her to go wake the others and tell them the human was on drugs; I planted a knife on him, and the others believed our story.

My card buddy hasn’t been to work since then. Last I heard, she kept claiming to have back pain and other fake excuses. I don’t blame her. Every time I hear a cricket, my shoulders tense up. I hope I’ll get over it soon.

5 Likes

The diary in question seethes with magic. Most of it arcane, but also significant amounts of frost magic, and some fire magic.

The date is very recent.

"I finally did it! I pushed through my stupid plateau!

I always tell everyone I’m a mage extraordinaire, and I really think I am, but now…

I’m not entirely sure how, exactly, but I was following a lead on a ‘tome of power’, and I came upon an enclave of some sorcerers and soldiers.

I do not know which power or master they served, but it seemed to be a moderately significant one.

I focused on the tome, attempting to channel and draw my powers through it.

I immediately felt the power responding - resonating - and amplifying, through the tome, and I knew this might be exactly the tome i had been searching for all this time…

I felt the power ripple and - lacking a better word - explode through me…

I must have blacked out; when I came to, I was still standing in the same spot - but I was utterly exhausted.

I felt like I had run until my legs gave out, and then got back up and kept going for days without rest.

I still felt stronger than before - which surprised me enough that it took me a while to realize I was alone.

Well, the only person still alive in the area, at least. There were a few dead bodies, and the air was thick with traces of rampant magic.

I think what happened to me is sometimes referred to as forcing. It means a spellcaster takes in, or on, more power than he or she was ready for - but instead of dying, I was lucky. (And it truly was dumb luck - I cannot take credit for being alive.)

I narrowly escaped burning myself to ash, along with the unlucky bastards around me…

And it made me stronger.

When I returned to my mentor in Stormwind, he surprisingly declared that I was ready to go to Kul Tiras and Zandalar;
to face the toughest enemies yet encountered by the adventurers of the Alliance.

I try not to dwell on the what if. "

4 Likes

‘This morning I arrived in the woods north of Hatherford in Tiragarde Sound to plant trees with a newfound friend that I met during my first travels in Kul Tiras. Lyssa Treewarden is a gentle soul deeply concerned with the workings of a nearby lumber mill. In the chain of species, trees are a pinnacle, a perfect living sculpture. They are the only natural element in perpetual movement toward the sky. They grow unhurriedly toward the sun that nourishes their foliage. It is a privilege to be among them.’

5 Likes

[OOC: sorry for the long post previously. After reviewing the thread, I’ve decided to keep things short to better fit with the original theme Dulvarinn started. I’ve moved my longer posts to an off-site fanfic called “Mirage of the Corrupter,” and I’ll just post tidbits and odds and ends here along with those of everyone else.]
———
Was walkin at the edge of Ramkahen yesterday afternoon. Near some store huts, I heard laughter off-road, behind a line of shrubs which the toll-fears use like sand barriers. I went to see who it was and ended up in a spiny thicket by myself.

One of the date palms was crumblin. Not just dyin, but crumblin into dust. I never learned about plant stuff like by siblings did, but I think it be called…wood rot? We got that back in Dustwallow, but Uldum be so arid; I didn’t think that desert palms could rot. Those palms are real beauties…nice, and they drop free snacks, but I touched this one and it the entire trunk broke apart in my hand like a sandcastle. Nature got its way, but for some reason, I felt sad when I crushed that tree trunk.

Still don’t know who was runnin around laughin like a kid.

4 Likes

'Another day shift of planting trees. Lyssa keeps singing a jig tune that somehow seems stuck within my mind. I am told that humans refer to this as an ‘earworm’, but I prefer the Darnassian term, ilion’dari, which roughly means ‘to breathe the sound of music’. The lyrics are as follows:

Evergreen, evergreen, evergreen tree,
a sea can wave, but a wave can’t sea.
With soil and seed we shall plant for thee,
an evergreen, evergreen, evergreen tree.’

3 Likes

The humans here, in the south…Uldum, Tanaris…be a lot more complicated than I thought.

One of the toll-fears took me for coffee in a neighborhood for humans in Ramkahen, all of them locals from Kalimdor instead of EK…by the loa, they hate the Wastewander people. Every one of them either be related to or know somebody who was victimized. They be real mad that the sultan or king or whatever of Ramkahen let the Wastewander join the Accord.

Seeing humans hate other humans reminded me of how I feel about other trolls.

4 Likes

‘This morning, Lyssa and I walked along the longing shores of Tiragarde Sound. Washed ashore I found a curious bottle that Lyssa recognised with a sad tune of the past. It is time to return to Dalaran. I expect to arrive by nightfall.’

4 Likes

Last night, I dreamt of laughter, an orange eyeball, and date palms. The wind blew the fronds and tickled my ears, and I realized I wasn’t dreaming anymore. My legs felt tense, and I didn’t feel my mattress against my back. Spent a few minutes staring at the trees after I realized I was awake and went back to my bunk.

I never had sleep walking ever. Now I lost a few hours of sleep. Gonna request a transfer to a tent with other personnel in the Accord…I thought that I be lucky to get a tent to myself, but if I be with other people, maybe they can stop me from sleep walking again.

4 Likes

‘Tonight I met with botanist Greyleaf and botanist Wells to examine the vegetative components of Northshire Merlot, Thunder Ale and Rumsey Rum Black Label. An interesting Herbal Hangout with hopefully no Herbal Hangovers!’

5 Likes

[OOC: come on, don’t make me feel like I’m hogging the thread! I’m sure others have little bits and pieces too.]

A lion has four limbs, but a toll-fear has six limbs. A lizard has four limbs, but a dragonspawn has six limbs. So a lion be to a toll-fear what a lizard be to a dragonspawn? Then a dragon be to a dragonspawn as a toll-fear be to what? Be there any giant flying cat creatures?

But then a croc has six limbs, and they be different from dragonspawn limbs.

A bat has four limbs, but a dire bat has six limbs. Where do they fit? I be so confused.

4 Likes

[OOC: I’ve been so busy lately, I’ve not been able to do much at all :/]

“We set sail from Feathermoon, the moon rising in the distance. There have been accounts of Naga activity along the coast from here all the way to Darkshore. It’s a risk the Stronghold has to take with every supply shipment from the northern forests. This will be my last trip north as a member of the Sisterhood. I’m full of nerves but must remain a symbol of hope and strength for all the crew. My mind is racing with what the future will hold now that I have taken this path. Only time will tell.”

4 Likes

"Today I met very joyful lightforged mage. She said that everything can be handled better with a smile. Then she set nearby adventurer aflame while trying to light a torch. She called it mistake. And laughed. Dear book, let us never meet this lunatic again.

P. S. She joined us on our trip. Wear a fire resistant clothes. "

5 Likes

I visited the greenhouse to consult Kuhuine on some herbs to soothe the ache of ageing. When I could not find her in the greenhouse, I decided to have a drink in the Ledgerdemain. A bit posh for me, but when in Rome… There was a host of Sin’dorei, seemingly invited there by a worgen. War makes for deep connections, but peace seems to make remarkable new ones.

5 Likes