New player, need tips for Mythic+ and gearing

Hello everyone,

I’m fairly new to Wow, I started roughly ~6 weeks ago, and I’m really enjoying the game. I’ve been doing some world pvp and dungeons, and I want to get into Mythic+, I’ve got a couple of questions though.

• Is 354 ilvl okay to start Mythic+? If not, how can I improve my ilvl?
  • Which Mythic+ dungeons are good/bad and why?
  • Besides affixes and time limit, what’s different from heroic dungeons?

A quick extra question: When do weekly quests reset? I completed against all odds before weekly server reset, but I can’t seem to be able to get it now. Does EU Alliance not have it this week, or was I too late on delivering my quest?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome! Glad to hear you’re enjoying yourself. :slight_smile:

A quick look at your armoury suggests that you’re starting with the right things. World Quests open, several Heroics done, Arathi Warfront done - don’t miss Darkshore Warfront when it’s next up - all that.

So you’ve been on the right track, and you’ve got very solid 355 gear.

So bookmark this. You’ll be coming back to it:

You understand how M+ works? A very short summary:

1. You do a plain Mythic, aka M0.
  2. From that, you get a Keystone, usually for a random different dungeon +2.
  3. You get a pary together, travel to that dungeon, enter on Mythic, place your Keystone into the font (there will be one just inside the entrance) and then your party tries to clear the dungeon as fast as you can.
  4. If you succeed, you get 1, 2, or 3 chests, depending how fast you went, and a new Keystone for another random different dungeon at a higher level/
  5. If you fail, your keystone gets reduced one level.

Now, you can also join someone else’s key. That is, if someone has a Keystone, you can join their group and do the dungeon with them. In that case, you will get a chest, but your Keystone, if you have one, will not be changed at all. If you didn’t have a Keystone before, you will get a Keystone form that run.

At the end of the week (which is early Wednesday morning, btw!) you will find a chest in the Harbourmaster’s office, with a piece of gear reflecting the highest M+ you did last week.

355 is OK to start M0 and low M+, but your experience is sketchy. Since a failure will downgrade the leader’s key, it is only polite to be sure you have at least a basic grasp of each dungeon on a lower difficulty before trying it in M+. People get really tetchy if you start going the wrong way, or pull an unnecessary pack of mobs.

Here are some groups where you might find friendly people to accompany you.

Group code
0yDDDxs25L

Also Fail Train:

Scared of Dungeons:
Group code
BoLReWSqWo

Don’t expect any of them to provide you with 24 hour groups, but you will find people in them if you hang around and watch and ask.

Ok, so your best way to start is by filling in the gaps of dungeons you haven’t done on Normal or Heroic, and watching videos of the dungeons on YouTube. You might start with Fatboss guides. Here are some others:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mythic+plus+guide+bfa

This is a great week to start! because this week’s Weekly quest is to do 4 Mythic dungeons and the Group Finder is pretty busy with people forming groups to do them. These will mostly be plain Mythics (M0) so there is no timer, and a good chance to learn.

People tend to avoid Temple of Sethraliss and Shrine of the Storm in general, but it’s not just about the dungeon, but the combination of dungeon and affix. Some affixes are really horrible in narrow corridors, for example.

Apart from affixes and time limits, Mythics are harder than Heroics, and M+ are harder than Mythics by about 10% per level, in terms of mob health and damage.

I haven’t seen Against Overwhelming Odds today, now you mention it, but I was barely in. Maybe we didn’t get it this week?

7 Likes

Yes. This is fine for +2/3. Depending on your ability (and if you were more experienced), 354 is enough to get you close to +10, but without experience, anything above above +3 (maybe +4) is going to be a struggle.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but Atal’dazar is generally regarded as one of the more straightforward.

Each level of m+ gives mobs more health and increases their damage.

Overall, the difference between m0 (simple mythic) and +2 is not that much. But Fortified weeks (where trash is buffed further) can be tough). The difference between +2 and +3 is trivial. You then get a bit of a step-up to +4 with the next affix.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for very thoroughly written guide Grainne, I’ve read the wowhead guide before and I’ve been watching guide videos on YouTube as well. I’ll make sure to gather some more experience before I join other people’s keys I think. So probably some heroic and some mythic0 runs before pushing keys. I’ll also make sure to join the communities!

Also thank you for your input Darkleth, it helps a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. 354 is good enough to start m+. Still you can improve ilvl is from m0, world quests, raid finder and warfronts.
  2. Can’t really say which one good or bad; it’s about getting familiar with boss and trash mechanic + pulls. Still look at loot table from dungeon journal and you can decide which loot you want from that specific dungeon.
  3. Mobs hit harder and they have more up pool- inshort as m+ lvl increase it’s kind of unforgivable.
  4. Weekly quest reset each week I guess and you need to provide more info about which weekly quest you are talking about.
2 Likes

The best way to learn is through experience. Feel free to add me and we can do some m+ at your convenience.

Tibbity#2707

1 Like

It looks like you’ve already gotten some good upgrades pretty quick - and it’s great to see all the help here given. Welcome back to Azeroth Kydris, I hope you enjoy your stay ^^

2 Likes

I would recommended you to do some mythic 0 first and learn the mechanics. Usely i mythic you got more mechanics to deal with then in hc. You need to learn these first before you should try m+. In m+ you got a timer to beat, so it is a great idea to learn things in advance. The easiest instances to go is Ad, Fh, wm. The hardest one with most mechanics are SHRINE Of the storm. All others are just in the middle.

You should be between 360 to 365 before you enter a m 2. Usely pug grups want atleast these ilvls for joining now.

M2 365 - 370
M 4 375 - 380
M 6 380 - 385
M7 385
M 8 385 - 390
M9 390 - 395
M 10 395 and above…

The other thing you need to learn before going into m+ is there affixes. From m2 its a affix called fortified, or tyricinal. This week there is tyricinal, which means that bosses got more hp and do extra damage. Its importent to do all the mechanics on boss, and boss fights can take some minuts. Next week there is fortified week. That means that trash has more hp, and deals a lot more damage. Interupts, and cc is importent.

Then you have second affix on lvl 4, and third affix and lvl 7. On lvl 10 you got the seasonal affix as well.

You should google mythic plus affixes amd read all about it. There is also videos on Youtube for every duengon, so you can get an idea for what you should do in the different duengons. But the best way to learn at the end is learning by doing.

Weekly chest resets wedensday at 0900 server time.

Good luck

2 Likes

Maybe another two cents from experience (these are my notes on improving and they are open for discussion of course):

• Do not try to do everything at once. You will not and cannot read and learn everything about a dungeon by reading it or running through it once. Therefore, just try to gather basic knowledge of the mechanics in Mythic-Dungeons and then just start somewhere and try to have open eyes for what is happening around you, preferably with some friendly people around.

• Be curious. If you do not understand what is happening around you try to gather knowledge about it.

• Be patient. There are some things that will require some practice. Therefore, try to find an M+ level you feel kind of challenged on and try to become comfortable with it until it is too easy for you. Then move on to the next level. If you want to try higher keys too that is fine of course.

I am just stating this because it is quite easy to burn out from M+. People will be mean sometimes because of mistakes and not every run will be successful. However, usually you will learn more from runs that you did not time but from runs you cruised through easily. I wish you good luck with your runs and if you have any questions at all and you do not know who to ask, hit me up (Lioxle#2214).

1 Like

This may well be what people are asking for in lfg, but it is certainly not what you need.

A skilled player could +10 at 360; a competent player who tries is fine at 370-375; by 385-390, you outgear +10s and any fails are down to stupidity or ignorance.

Good advice.

Pick one (or two) dungeons to start with (Atal’dazar and Freehold?) and just run those. Once you’re comfortable with them, try others.

1 Like

I would suggest doing World Quests, Random Heroics and Mythic 0 to reach overall ilvl of 365 before you enter M+ environment, i know it will hurt you but it may be hard to enter even M0 on lower ilvl.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.