[New RP Addon] Darken Chat Messages by Speaker Distance

I’ve been wanting this exact feature for YEARS and was told by add-on developers that it would be very resource intensive. Due to the limitations on distance assessment, as you mention.
I’m so thrilled it’s here now! All hail Blacktongue! :raised_hands:

1 Like

Hello there, since we were told about TRP3 emote/OOC/speech color not working well with your addon, I’ve checked a bit on what we could do to let you modify them.

I’ve put a few functions in public tables so you can access and modify them from your addon (cf. https://github.com/Total-RP/Total-RP-3/pull/488/files, color getters and the detection function itself). This change will go out with our next version, although I can’t give an exact date. Hopefully next month…

It should be enough to let you adjust them with distance but you can reach us on our Discord server if you have any trouble.

3 Likes

It doesn’t seem to work for me for some reason sadly, the color is always dark regardless if standing next to someone, even tried to put brigtness upp to 1 :3

Currently the addon just applies the ‘far’ colour to any speaker whose distance is classified as ‘unknown’. I’ll probably just make it an option to choose what colour to use for unknown speakers, and maybe an additional fallback option for opposite-faction speakers to work around this.

This is fantastic. Thank you very much! I’ve taken a quick look at the functions exposed in the API in that PR and it should do the trick. I’ll expose an API for this addon too so that others can hook into it as needed in a similar fashion for inter-operability.

Have you enabled the nameplate scan option? The addon’s functionality is unfortunately quite limited (target,focus,mouseover,group) without it due to limitations in WoW’s API.

2 Likes

Just tried this tonight during RP, works wonderfully and I’m glad we have something like this which will greatly help me during events from now on.

Merci beacoup!

1 Like

Will be giving this a try, seems very handy to have in busy cities or in large campaigns

1 Like

Glad you like it!

I just released a new major version (0.3.0) on WoWInterface and Curseforge (See links in first post).
Version highlights:

• Addon Communications to synchronize range/position info between users for faster, more accurate functionality
  • Better handling of speech from opposite-faction players
  • Optional prefix tags such as ‘[F]’ for friends in chat, ‘[G]’ for Guild members, ‘[NPC]’ for NPCs, ‘[S]’ for strangers, etc. - These tags will be more configurable in a later version
  • Optional colour-highlighting of Friends/Guild-members/Group-members in chat
  • Better config UI (Can be found under: Esc Menu -> Interface -> Addons -> ‘Darken Chat Messages’)
  • Instance control - The addon is disabled by default in instances such as Dungeons and Raids, but can be enabled on a per-instance-type basis in the addon options. It will always be disabled in PvP instances.
5 Likes

It’s working flawlessly for me, I’m really grateful for this addon!

I only took a quick skim across the many options so forgive me if I’ve overlooked it: is it possible to change the highlight colour of friends/guildies/party members? I’d like to be able to make my guildies’ chat bright white rather than green.

1 Like

Glad you like it! :slight_smile:
Changing the colours for friend/guild/party messages will be coming in the next version; hopefully Soon™.

As a short-term workaround until the feature is properly implemented, you can use the following commands to set the corresponding colours to bright white:

/script KvChatDistance.guildColor = "FFFFFF"
/script KvChatDistance.groupColor = "FFFFFF"
/script KvChatDistance.friendColor= "FFFFFF"

Note that this won’t persist between logins/reloaduis so you may want to put it in a macro.

1 Like

Version 0.4.0 has now been released:
https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/kvcd-darken-chat-messages-by-speaker-distance/files/3198389

Version Highlights:

• Configurable highlighting for Self, Friends, Guild, Party/Raid - Colours for each can now be set in addon options.
  • Distance-shading can now be toggled in options for Friends/Guild/Group individually.
  • Configurable prefixes for Friends, Guild, Party/Raid, Strangers, Target, Focus, NPCs - The exact prefix text can now be set in addon options.
  • Separate brightness slider in options for speakers at unknown distance
  • Fine-tuned distance calculations to provide a better gradient across typical chat/RP ranges

4 Likes

Got it to work, now will try this add on as well. Is there a way to make the nameplates look just like default, tho? I am kind of used to the default interface.
I just want that awesome function to show the RP names instead.

Edit: Unable to get custom TRP titles to show.

Let’s keep discussion of other addons to their own threads or project pages to avoid confusing people. :slight_smile:

Bump for a fantastic addon that really enhances and facilitates RP!

2 Likes

Damn! This is really cool, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

As someone that is dyslexic I sometimes I find it to much with lots of chat going on. I can see tihs will be an awsome addon to aid me as in the past I have tried to stay away from large events.

3 Likes

Thanks; Glad you like it!

I hadn’t considered this benefit at all, but I’ll be delighted if it helps in that way!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.