New to RP, few questions

Hi! So lately I’ve been considering making a character on an RP server due to the fact things are a bit quiet with my guild on Dreanor.

I actually feel a bit over whelmed with where to start.

I’ve read a few a guides over on the Argent Dawn forum (however most of the links seem to be broken & just redirected me to WoW home page). I think I want to RP an Orc Mage, I know lore pretty well thanks to various youtubers and wowpedia pages, so I’m not too worried about class/race RP (please feel free to give advice though :slight_smile: ) but my questions are more about;

• What addons should I use?
  • How to find a guild? Since RP guilds tend to have themes. Do RP guilds use Discord? I’m assuming yes & they just speak normally & leave the RP for in-game typing. Am I wrong?
  • Is there an active community? Any tips on how to engage/react with others?
  • Do people RP in dungeons and raids?
  • Goldshire seems to have a “fun reputation” but is there anywhere popular on Horde territories?
  • To speak OOC, I can only do that in whisper? or in Party chat?

What time line should I RP in?! Currently we are in BFA at 120, sure but if I start a character, I’ll be in Cataclysm… How do I RP and make sense traveling through Outland & Northrend?

Thanks in advance to any replies! :smiley:

I got just the thing for you!
Take a look at this. Should explain a lot.

1 Like

Hey welcome to our wonderful Community, allow me to answer your questions :slight_smile:

When it comes to addons most people uses a “rp interface” addon. It basically like a dnd character sheet, it gives information to other about your character like his age, alignement, equipement or whatever you can imagine. For example if you want your character to have a physical feature the models can’t convey you can put in there. It’s also useful to identify you as a roleplayer since even on rp server not everyone do rp. I would recommand TRP3, it’s very well made and the most popular.

If you are looking for a rp guild they are several ways to find one. You can ask around in game, either in character or not, look on the forum of your server where guilds usually have presentation threads. Some realms also have website listing rp guilde such as argent archive for argent dawn. Some guilds use discord, some don’t. From my experience most of the rp is written in game rp though rp guild discord server usually also have rp channels and sometimes even vocal rp channels but its rarer. The rule of thumb to remember is that they are places/channels for rp talk and other for normal talk, you don’t have to be in character at all time.

There is Indeed an active Community, if you are on a rp server with a large population there will Always be people rping in the capitals but other zones are very popular to like Duskwood. I don’t rp on Horde so I can’t help you for that, or in your quest for the red goldshire unfortunately.

The most important rule is to make the difference between IC and OC, IC means in character while OC means out of character. People who are IC are then actively roleplaying while OC they are not. Try to Watch your behavior when around IC people, you wont get hang if you pass by on your blazing flying mount but a more obnouxious attitude can be seen as bad manner. Usually when ppl are IC they will exclusively /say IC stuff and respond to /say party stuff. If you want to ask something OC to someone OC use /wisp. Party chat and guild chat are also an option but some guild don’t like ppl talking OC in it while rp is going on, matter of preference.

No, people don’t do rp dungeons and raid. That’s reserved to poorly inspired yt parodies.

Finally if you want to engage a conversation IC just walk up to the person and start one, people are here for that but I noticed a high proportion of rplayers are a bit shy and hesitant to do the first step but are Always very happy to interact IC, I never had someone tell me to f off when I approached them IC.

1 Like

Do people RP in Dungeons and Raids? Yes and No. No if you mean do we start to talk IC in LFG, LFR or any other group that is there to clear the content.

Yes if you mean do we use dungeons as areas to hold private events since cleared dungeons can be amazing as places to use a scenery. My guild tends to keep Nighthold cleared as it is a perfect zone for us Highborn to have parties in - though keep in mind we don’t go to Nighthold IC. Just use it a great OOC asset.

3 Likes

The Cathedral of Eternal Night is perfect for some nice Highborne/Nightborne RP, used as an estate or anything really, with nice little rooms behind opening doors, library, garden, etc

1 Like

Rembers to visit it then

“Red Goldshire”, I hate to say, but we do have that, although it’s worth noting no decent RPer ever goes there. We joke about it, sure, but seriously, no, stay out.

Either way, Silvermoon City’s bazaar seems to be the Horde side equivalent.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the replies! :grin:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.