Northrend Clan RP Idea?

To be honest, only the Vrykul seem to have the viking-theme. All of the humans in Northrend are just simple trappers or people that the Alliance brought with them ( see the Farshire townsfolk). You don’t see them sailing around in longboats or behaving like the Vrykul do.

Now there’s nothing against humans living in Northrend, but they’re not vikings. So, for loresake I’d say don’t rp a viking clan, but if you stay in a bubble then there’s little to stop you.

Edit: And I forgot the Scarlet Onslaught, those still dwell there too. And the Argent Crusade outposts that are still manned.

12 Likes

Many of my guild have spoken of dreaming of a guild where you are just fighting for survival in Northrend day by day. Not many supplies, little equipment, many dangers.

As much as these concepts are amazing, they’re hard to pull off. There are outposts and encampments of both the Horde, Alliance and Neutral factions everywhere which removes the whole feeling of being alone and in need of help.

But if you steer clear of settlements and just keep to yourself it can work. Though, survival instincts will eventually kick in and draw characters towards the settlements for help and supplies. Might become an issue. I like the idea though!

2 Likes

Better to do normal human settlers who moved north. Look at the Grizzly Hills settlers and the farmers who tried to establish themselves in the Borean Tundra.
The viking based concepts are fads and die out quickly.
Standard humans in Warcraft don’t really lend themselves to being vikings. It’s not their thing.

10 Likes

Yeah I think that’s the best idea, I wasnt aiming to -Do- vikings, but the show made me excited about the concept of a more…primitive style human society?

I guess similar to how I perceive orc clans to be/have been, surviving in a harsh landscape, hunting for food, claiming territories for their people.

The above info from everyone is all pretty interesting though, looks like theres a few ways it could be done to fit with lore…just with a little tweaks I suppose?

An idea you can go for can be a group of Silverbrook trappers, who have interest about Vrykul, and their roots and relations to them. Pursuing their culture and past to find out more (a bit like how Explorer’s league are towards Earthen) and therefore, having some of the aesthetics! But not being outright Viking or Clan at all, though still can fight like one, etc.

I myself did a storyline on my Paladin related to his Vrykul Ancestor, and it has been great. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Not exactly a “clan” but if you chose the red team, hello :slightly_smiling_face: :wave:

Out of date

3 Likes

I’d say Wildhammer dwarves lend themselves more to the whole viking type deal.
Maybe they’re an option for it?
Yes, I’m asking you Kump.

3 Likes

Wildhammer are more inspired by Celts. Everything from their general aesthetic (charging bare-chested) to their incredibly Celt-core names.

6 Likes

I can’t remember much of the Celts, truth be told. But it’s nice to know.

1 Like

Generally Dwarves do in my humble opinion, aye.

2 Likes

If this exact concept itself doesn’t work out for you, it sounds like orc clan rp would be something you’d enjoy.

If you have not done any research, your first step should be to do some research. As others have pointed out, human settlements in Northrend are only vaguely described at best. Mograine mentions in Old Hillsbrad that “Northrend is lost” according to rumours, which causes audible gasps so there is at least a presence there. However, humanity in WoW left their primitive\tribal state thousands of years ago at the closing of the Troll Wars when the Arathorian empire formed (which later fractured into the seven kingdoms). A close analogy to what you are after in terms of primitiveness would be the wastewander tribe of Tanaris and Uldum, but even they make use of modern technology in Azeroth such as guns and gnomish fighter planes. They are also not native to Uldum but descend from pirate crews who made landfall in Kalimdor around the Third War.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Ashbringer/Old_Hillsbrad_Ashbringer_event
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Arathor
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Wastewander

3 Likes

I genuinely don’t see what about the Wastewanders could be considered “primitive”. They seem fairly civilised from what we saw in Uldum, and even in Classic they were more just bandits as opposed to anything really primitive; the fact they had such a rich hierarchy and society implies the exact opposite. The very link you shared shows how they have ports, trading caravans, and are far from a “tribe” by any means.

2 Likes

If you’re doing Vikings, don’t forget to include the ritual sacrifice of women and murdering innocents :]

1 Like

Sounds like a good idea for a true Orcish Clan / Roaming Warband, something which this server lacks

Trolls / Orcs / Tauren / Wildhammer (maybe?) are the best to try and do this.

Ice trolls / Taunka would fit in the region of Northrend?

The same as everyone else from the time then.

3 Likes

I was mainly referring to their tribal cohesion and nomadic nature. They don’t settle and they live off the land (or steal from others), which seem to be key elements to what OP is trying to achieve with his idea.

Which, as seen in BfA and Mogi’s previous post, changed over time. They’ve settled down, they have constructed permanent settlements, they’ve created the Uldum Accord together with the Ramkahen, whom they trade with regularly ((presumably)) with caravans. They’ve created a fully functional and civilised nation led by someone that appears to be a king in all but name, and whom promises you that the Wastewanders have greatly changed from the savage, desert dwelling brigands we knew them as.

What’s the source on this. As far as we see they’re still just wandering around the desert graverobbing. The only difference is that they joined up with the Ramkahen to fight N’zoth’s forces. The nationbuilding seems to be a figment of your imagination, to be totally honest.

1 Like

They’ve taken over several settlements in Uldum that had been left abandoned, ranging from Schnottz’s Landing to Orsis and the Temple of Uldum. Many of their settlements were then promptly overrun by Aqir, which is why they joined the Uldum Accord to begin with.

1 Like

Human settlers in Northrend are more Wild West than they are Viking, or anything else for that matter.

2 Likes