Old vs new

Whoever worked on TBC and WOTLK and you can add Cata had a reason to wake up in the morning and create something that is worth playing. The developers, programmers, designers post those expansions were nowhere as creative as the old ones.

Now i dont have any data or readings but WoW players now will never be as much as the players played during those expansions, it just keeps getting fewer every year.

Now we get Azshara as a patch boss, and one of the strongest of the old gods dies after 8 days of invading azoroth, i mean im not sure but the original lore was that titans were afraid of them, hell even titan Sargeras Only solution to stopping them was destroying the whole planet, and we did it with a beam.

Im not salty or anything but i just hate to see the only game that i was truly attached to just goes down the hill.

1 Like

Yes you are salty. :stuck_out_tongue: But that’s ok, that’s understandable.

AFAIAC, the story this whole expansion has been on the level of fanfic - bad fanfic. And if you’ve ever tried to read any fanfic, you know just how bad that is. Yeah, well consign BfA’s main story to that same dumpster. There have been a few brighter spots and characters and set-pieces, but the appalling and unbelievable pre-patch events set the stage for a disorganized mess.

You are wrong about the Old Gods’ power relative to the Titans. though; it was the Void Lords, who created the Old Gods, Sargeras was afraid of …

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Old_God#Comparative_strength

Sargeras and Aman’Thul both demonstrated the ability to kill Old Gods with ease, mostly by taking advantage of their significant size difference. Sargeras killed numerous Old Gods simultaneously with a single stroke of his sword, destroying a nameless world-soul infested with Old Gods.[17] Aman’Thul killed the most powerful of the Old Gods on Azeroth, Y’Shaarj, by tearing him from the surface of the planet. In doing so, he inadvertently wounded the sleeping world-soul due to how deeply Y’Shaarj had burrowed into the planet’s crust. Though the titans could have easily destroyed the rest of the Old Gods in a similar fashion, it was avoided so as to not damage Azeroth any further.[4]

… however, Old Gods are plenty powerful enough on our scale.

And N’Zoth has been one of the Big Bads through the game’s history. He was the brains behind unleashing Deathwing. He definitely did deserve a stonger story for his send-off.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s pretty awful. The only thing that’s kept it afloat for me is the allied races.

I suppose it depends on what you play the game for. If this was the last quarter of TBC or WotLK, I’d at most be raid logging. But with M+, there is always something interesting and engaging for me to do. I don’t feel the Visions are so bad, actually.

And of course, the game won’t have as many players ever again, because it’s now 15 years old and MMOs as a genre aren’t as popular anymore as they used to be.

I don’t really care about the story or the lore, since those are not the reasons I play an MMO for. That’s what single-player RPGs and books are for. The WoW plots were always pretty generic and predictable, I feel.

I could agree in theory, but then i start to think about that maybe it’s just players and times in general that have changed and made all the post-wotlk/cata stuff seem inferior and we now linger on nostalgia.

Or not, but no one can prove that’s not the case either.

We defeated An old god and azshara with no struggle, they didn’t build any story For N’zoth, it was like “alright heres an old god and some necklace, go beam him cuz he did horrible things to vale and uldum for 1 week”

Lich king and even deathwing, we fought almost a year just to reach them.

1 Like

Everything past Wotlk is 100% bad, including cata.

Were they really that hard or were we bad at the game ?

Agree completely. I am now leveling an alt through woltk zones and notice the huge difference even in small details. It’s the feel, the atmosphere, the feeling of being very small compared to the marvelous mountains and the landscape…not even talking about the main story - you start in Howling Fjord and say to yourself “wow…”

The only other zone I could compare could be Drustvar, but still, although mysterious, it lacks that “calibre” of zones like Storm Peaks, Howling Fjord…

Everything now seems a smaller version. Flying has nothing to do with this. With or without it, the present zones are still kinda shrunken as a feeling. So is the story. The “big bad” should be a thing to be afraid of.

I think it’s not the same developers anymore, that’s the reason. Back then I heard the team had split, that was shortly before Cata.

1 Like

He wrote “we fought almost a year just to reach them”
it’s different than the boss himself being hard or not.

That’s how I understand that sentence.

Its not the boss mechanics, its the story that lead to killing Arthas, the events, how the story was told. Now in bfa its like They just put bosses to defeat no other reason, he is an old god that died after 1 week of invading while with Arthas they told us how he became lich king and what he did, why and how and it took almost a year to finish his story. Dont get me wrong i love bfa but to have a boss with limited story kiinda what makes it a turnoff for many players.

2 Likes

Now I understand what you meant.

Sure, story build up made used to make sense. Still, in the case of the lich king, Blizzard turned into vilan clichee.

It’s bad writting and lazyness. Imo, Sylvanas should have been BFA’s last boss.

Actually, raiding population is far from being the largest one in the game. And as a raider, imo, story has less importance than actual fights. I won’t hate a raid for it’s lore in the first place. I hated Uldir, because bosses were poorly designed.

I started to raid in woltk because of the story. Raiding was a kind of “finalization” of my experiences through the rest of the expansion (like he said) and since they were “epic experiences” I wanted to finish them with an epic event like stepping into a raid and defeating the LK. I raided then 25man heroic ICC.

Since Cata I don’t feel any such urge to raid.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.