One Currency for upgrading gear

Their previous experiments of having a progression system that’s unique to a specific type of content wasn’t that popular.

Exactly.

It can DEFINITELY offer worthwhile content.
It doesn’t need to be challenging; that isn’t part of the problem with world content. The people who enjoy that content, aren’t doing it because they want ‘edge of their seat challenges’.

That’s because that’s the only way you choose to look at it.
Try to look at it from (for instance) MY point of view: I simply want to have that progression because for me working towards something is FUN. It’s not even about the gear itself, even though yeah getting stronger is also FUN.

The journey is what matters to me; working towards a goal.
And it just so happens that I like doing that journey out there in the world as opposed to instanced content (where your journey depends on others).

Which one was that?

But the thing is; I’m suggesting a system where, in regards to ilvl and gear, it’s the same as it is right now, except that ONLY for world content you have the OPTION to keep the gearing going. If you’re looking to gear up in world content and then progress to ‘the big 3’, then there is literally no difference from how it is now.

My suggestion would give OPTIONS to people who want that; it’s not changing or taking away anything from people who have no interest in it.

1 Like

For what purpose? To kill world mobs with 1 button instead of 2?

Sigh.

To. Have. Fun.

2 Likes

What’s the fun part?

It might not be fun for you. That’s fine. You could ignore it.
I think it’s fun to gear up; work towards something and get stronger.

I don’t think raiding is fun.
Am I here to ask for raiders to not be able to raid? No.

2 Likes

I’m asking you what you find fun about it, since you’re asking for an exclusive system for your content.

Stronger for what? Damage on world bosses? 1 shotting world mobs?

Please… Stop.
I’ve already answered your question.

Fun.

I think it’s fun doing content faster and easier. It feels nice being stronger.
It’s FUN.

2 Likes

Isn’t this coming in 10.1 with the flightstones?

• Thorgast was solo content that had a progression system with the box of all things (or whatever the name was). You got currency from, and spent it to unlock abilities. So every week you came back stronger than the week before it. It’s actually one of the most hated content they ever made. Casual players found it too hard. Raid/M+ players found it too boring feeling forced to do it every week.
  • The maw was a bit challenging outdoor content, that got easier every week with reputation and items you purchase with that currency. Same as Torghast. It was hated by casual players as too hard, and too boring by raiders/M+ players.
  • Visions of Orgrimmar/stormwind was also solo content with some progression tied to it making it easier, and masks to make content harder.
  • Training the undead NPCS in Sauramar was solo content had a progression system were each week you came back stronger. I think 90% of players either don’t even remember it or are unaware of its existence. It was completely optional content, probably no one cared.

So you find it fun 1 shotting world mobs - which was my original question. No need to get so defensive, pull that stick out.

I remember you now. We had the same exact discussion in shadowlands, and I believe you accused me of harassing you when I disagreed with you. I will not respond to this thread anymore.

Only very limited; it’ll be the same as with this season and progression will stop very fast if you don’t want to participate in ‘the big 3’.

That’s not character progression; that’s for torghast and torghast was, imo, stupid. It was bad content for the get-go; bottom of the barrel type content as far as I’m concerned.

The maw was THE single most unfun zone ever in WoW’s history.
Making people suffer is not challenging; it’s irritating! Also; it wasn’t character progress.

Again you name horrible content.

Everthing you named here was horrible because it wasn’t fun.
At all.

And none of what you mentioned gave actual CHARACTER progression (except for the legendary cloak, but that didn’t change the fact that I absolutely HATED HATED HATED doing visions), because that’s the type of progression I’m speaking of (I would have thought that was clear, but apparently you misunderstood):

Character progression.

There’s also the fact that most of what you named was instanced content.
I like doing world content: outdoor stuff. Not be locked into a cramped, ugly, depressing instance (like visions were, like torghast was).

1 Like

Torghast and Visions are not in world content in my view, they’re instances that can be ran solo or as a group.

I’m interested as to what world content might be purposed to providing meaningful gear progression. Since World Quests rewarding gear that’s similar to say mythic keys, seems like a bit of a spit in the face against people who spend hours farming keys to get gear. I want this game to thrive, so I’m all ears for ideas as to how world content might become more rewarding, while also feeling like the reward is just for the effort required to attain it.

I completely agree with you that a progression system provides some form of content.

The problem is that players will become disillusioned fast because they will progress their gear, but they will have nowhere to use it.
In open world after 370ilvl, everything becomes easy. At 390ilvl everything is a joke. So if people reach 421ilvl then mobs will just insta die.

This is not a problem, although it will “feel” even worse if they try to join any other mode of play (m+, raid, pvp) and see that the gear they spent their time farming, is “useless”.

So yeah, if you find gearing fun by itself, I understand where you are coming from, although I am not sure what other problems it will create.

Exactly my thoughts. What’s the point in gearing if you can’t feel differences in items?
There are no open world area when you feel like “ok, I’m too weak right now, I either have to find a group to clear it or do it later when I’ll get stronger”. Every area, every world quest is just boring, not engaging activity without risk of failure.

I don’t think so, because that’s only looking at it from that perspective.
I simply don’t share that perspective and I have to believe I’m not the only one.
Players who prefer doing world / solo content usually have a different take on WoW than someone who participates in ‘the big 3’. Those things require a different mindset.

And that’s cool. What’s the issue?

Well, 2 things:

First; I don’t think that people who are going to pursue such a grind are the type of people who are going to participate in ‘the big 3’ anyway.

Secondly; It should be communicated/made clear that this ‘grind’ would be ‘world content’s version of endgame’ - it’s not a gearing progression meant for higher end group content. If this is properly communicated it shouldn’t lead to disappointment (and sure, there’s ALWAYS someone who’s going to be disappointed; that’s true for ANYTHING they do in the game).

If I earn a piece of PvP gear now, am I disappointed that it only has its higher ilvl in PvP? No. The item clearly states that its ilvl is higher in PvP content, so I know what I’m getting into.

I don’t see any problems honestly.
It’s an optional gear grind with limitations set so that it can’t be used in ‘the big 3’.
Sounds perfect to me. :sweat_smile:

But at the end of the day, I would just like world content to be worthwhile/relevant for longer than 3 weeks or so. I personally enjoy never ending grinds (if the reward is worth it) and I understand that’s not everyone’s cup of tea; that’s why it should be optional.

Yea i get that, however for me i log in and i really cant find much to do, without having to dedicate or commit a block of time. After having mythic raided for a while i decided that life takes priority over a game… its just unfortunate that whenever I do decide to play a bit, there really isnt any character growth of progression i can put 10mins here and there into. I guess the system that im describing is some sort of ap grind to upgrade a neck/weapon, but i wouldnt want those to come back.

I feel that game would benefit from encouraging new/casual/relaxed players to participate in an easy to understand, easy to use upgrade system… that would inevitably lead to higher amounts of participation in all forms of content, creating a sort of way for players to get hooked into a system from the bottom up.

Maybe the discussion is more about the game just not being rewarding enough across the board. But i do think the world needs to be incentivized just as much if not more to create a solid foundation for an mmo. Wouldnt it be nice to have a gearing system that is universal to all content?, rather than separating everyone out into pvper/pvers/casual/mythic plusers/raiders… I personally like switching content, but sadly theres no way for me to collect a currency from lets say arena and put that time and effort into upgrading a mythic plus set. And like i said before legion was a game where i could do anything, anything i wanted and still have gear progression through legendaries, titanforging and artifact upgrades that was relevant in all types of content.

1 Like

Im not sure if its a good idea to purely reward players based on how much theyve suffered… wouldnt that lead to burnout? also if nobody did the content wouldnt blizzard need to reevaluate how fun their group content really is?

also im not suggesting that one world quest will instantly give you a mythic plus piece, hence the varying amounts currency based on difficulty. Whats a couple hours doing mythic plus to a couple hours farming world quests … isn’t the time consumed enough of a justification for the reward? You can still keep the prestige of the harder content by putting in mounts/titles and cosmetics like they already do.

1 Like

I believe harder content should have better rewards. Although it’d be interesting to see everyone have the same gear and how it balances out gear vs ability.

I’m all for world content not ending as the “big 3” starts as why not have a “big 4” or better yet “play how you want”. Adding optional hard modes to world content or perhaps allowing people who farm to craft items that are similar to those that drop from raids or dungeons are the only ideas I can come up with.