Opinions about Vampire Roleplayers 🧛

I think translating vampire lore from other media to fit into the framework of wow lore can be a lot of fun - especially when it comes to nomenclature - as long as it’s not overdone to the point of the framework no longer being used whatsoever.

For example, when I came up with the name for my San’layn I made a list of fictional vampire names together with blood elf/high elf prefixes and suffixes, such as thel, thal, etc etc and mish-mashed them all together.

One of the worst things I know is when I bump into someone whose name doesn’t fit their character whatsoever. Immediately takes me out of the fantasy and ruins the immersion.

1 Like

I’ll add that I mean no disrespect to people who do like it or rp things like Sanlayn or vampires etc, you do you.

I like the asthetic too and a big sucker for vampire stuff in general(as in other medias etc) , and I loved the Venthyr.

For some reason though it just never struck a chord with me in WoW in terms of roleplay. Could be due to the bad experiences.

Draenei with surnames gives me this feeling.

2 Likes

No shade, but the Draenei community are plagued with bad names in general.

1 Like

Well I am sorry my name isn’t Sir Gab Teapotter of Darrowtree Gilneans.

Probably, I assume a lot of people translate the vampire into wow wholesale
to rp the archetype instead of how they are portrayed and always have been in the setting.
Dreadlords the big bat humanoid with non of the classic vampire weaknesses.
to san’layn for the more modern sexy vampire lord but still clearly undead look, still with non of the classic weaknesses
to the vrykul who sleeps in a coffin, is not weak to stake through heart and whos vampire minions can walk around in daylight.
to finally the venthyr in shadowlands with some of the weaknesses and all the style of modern day sexy vampires.

1 Like

Thuzar sounds very warlock-esque though.

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s anything in Warcraft that really feels like an equivalent to either medieval fantasy vampires or modern day vampire kind of characters; I’d honestly just recommend playing one of the Vampire: the Masquerade tabletop games for all vampire rp enthusiasts (5th ed is very cool, and Dark Ages works for a medieval setting well!), hell, the 2nd edition of WFRP has a sourcebook for vampires that’s pretty okay to play with

Just to make sure, these are genuine recommendations for getting something conductive to roleplaying vampires (5e VtM especially!) - you could do it in ESO, MMO-wise, but the nature of MMO RP often doesn’t feel very conductive towards roleplaying (or at least getting to show/display in your story) the aspects that make vampires an interesting concept

6 Likes

for those looking for mmo rp, ESO would be a close second to VtM tabletop as it has vampires that are exactly what people seem to want from WoW vampires but exist in a place where you dont need massively complex reasons to be one, be in a normal city etc etc

3 Likes

I just so happened to have edited my post to mention it hehe, I think it’s the best bet MMO-wise, but the inherent traits and aspects of vampire characters that make them interesting to me are still v. difficult to play out in the context of an MMO RP setting/community, at least for a prolonged amount of time (which I imagine is what most people want to do)

2 Likes

I found V rising to be a fun vampire game for fantasy vamps. Dont know if it has dedicated roleplay servers, but it does feel fun as a power fantasy to play+asthetics.

I do wish it had horse carriages though.

1 Like

I just noticed yeah and I agree, the MMO does show a side of a previously unseen vampiric strain and too its credit, shows more variety in vampire clans than prior games did (The Hollowfang Khajiit vampires :pray: ) it rarely gets to the meat of their story and lore, even with a vampire themed expansion. Which is a shame because spend any time at all reading their UESP page and they are quite fascinating

imagine being a vampire without a carriage of the damned…smh

1 Like

On the plus side it does let you have a cool castle, gothic statues, a coffin, servants, blood prisons, shapeshifting, magic and tons of other fun things.

And lets you terrorize villages.

It’s a very fun game, they are still developing it; though I don’t know if there’s much of a roleplaying community around it and my experience is people pick up the game when an update is out but numbers tend to drop off after a while.

2 Likes

They are a plague.

3 Likes

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/556162089111126026/1059931507843674122/aeb3f6d7c0650dfde0041cff6259e46e.png

I have a jumpscare for you.

1 Like

Oh dear god no.

1 Like

That is what the San’layn are. Death knights are cursed with a need to inflict pain, more baseline undead like the Forsaken are cursed with a desire for humanoid flesh, and the San’layn a desire for blood.

I’ve dipped my toes into vampyr RP now and then, and it’s mostly been fine. No OOC whispers condemning the concept, and only a couple of “Main Character Syndrome” RPers desperately wanting to add my bloodsucker to their list of slain beasties.

(Disclaimer: I have no trouble with consequences befalling monstrous characters, but when you’re obviously being TRP scanned and literally landed upon by their flying mount after a single minute online, you know something’s not kosher.)

Obviously, it’s a very niche slice of RP, and I wouldn’t ever recommend maining such a character for RPing purposes. It’s a nice bit of spice on occasion, but the nature of the beast is such that cordial IC interactions are predictably rare.

And you do run across of the V:tM copy-paste types now and then as well, but in my experience they’re happy to learn and adopt actual lore into their RP. In their defense, vampyr lore is somewhat obscure unless you actively go looking for it.

1 Like

Can’t think of a better of way to replicate the “traditional” Gothic, medieval-esque style Vampire than roleplaying a Forsaken aligned Blood DK.

Got everything you need right there. :drop_of_blood:

… except the drinking of blood. I suppose you could include it as character quirk. Something to do with savouring the suffering they have to inflict?

They are no more vampyr than the blood-thane in Stormheim, and neither of truly vampire for they lack the weakness of typical vampire.
the vampire aesthetic is spread out over a multitude of different creatures.
we have at least 4 different groups ranging from demons, to undead to creatures from the realm of death who am not sure count as undead or something else.
and we have another 5th version if you count the old scholomance boss who drinks blood and turns into a gargoyle.
the actual part that matters in-so far as wows setting cares is defined by the trait of draining life

San’layn is a vampire archetype, but they are not vampire in the same way Dracula is a vampire.

Tomorrow blizzard could add a Gnoll in a cape that turns into a bat and hates the sun called Gnollcula and it would be yet another take on the vampire archetype but overall just a vampyr no different from the blood thane in legion and the venthyr in shadowlands.
who are both arguably vampires but ever so different.

1 Like