Pet Battle - wait times

I just queued (3x 25s) and got a battle in less than 2 minutes. Not sure if it’s cross server though

For science i’ve created a new toon on Draenor server (called Battlepets). Seems to be high pop in EU.

Will see if that helps. Current ‘tiq’ = 8 mins

Edit: Seems to have improved it. Had 2 matches in last 15 minutes <3

The belief among battlers - and there is some evidence to support it - is that

a) The PvP queue is broken up into “pet battlegroups”, and the pet battlgroup you are in depends on the server on which your first-created character is. Discodoggy famously moved his main between servers and immediately got into a clearly different queue. It doesn’t matter which realm the character you are playing on is from - what matters is the pet battlegroup to which you are assigned.

b) Blizzard have said that they try to separare queues for accounts with experience from accounts without. None of us know what that means.

What is indisputably true is that PvP pet battles are deeply, truly crap at the moment, and almost nobody plays except those poor damned souls trying to get one of the PvP achievements. Most of the notables have stopped. Disco and Rosqo and Spinning have unsubbed. Zazon left when Wowprogress stopped updating its pet PvP leaderboard.

Now, WHY pet PvP is crap is actually a complicated discussion. People say things like “you meet the same pets over and over”, and that’s true … but getting behind the why and the how to fix takes a lot of thinking and working-out. Too long for this thread.

P.S.

Oh, and

This is a well-known display bug. Just leaving the queue and rejoining usually clears it.

3 Likes

METAPET!!!

There must always be … (Thunderclap) … a dominant meta!

Yeah, but in pets it’s a bit extreme.

There are ~1500 pets.

In separate surveys taken in WoD and Legion, 5 pets made up about 20% of all pets used in PvP teams, 20 pets covered more than 50%.

And then there are the people who run triples. :cry:

It’s just not fun. You either run the meta, or you devise a counter-meta team, and those are limited. If I build a counter to 3 x Anomalus, it’s likely to be so focused on decoy and magic-killing that it will be very vulnerable to another team.

God help the poor souls who try to get Family Brawler, who don’t have a lot of experience.

The queue tends to be better during Pet Week. I don’t really know why. Yes, you get a Purple stone as reward, but you can earn enough Charms to buy one a lot faster and with less heartache doing regular WQ.

P.S. Just to see, I took out my Green team. I haven’t queued for a long long time. I was surprised to get a battle in about 30 seconds.

1 Like

In one of the interviews pet battles were mentioned. They are aware of the lack of interest in PvP pet battling and know they need to change things.

It is an aspect that has never interested me, so it will be interesting to see what they do.

1 Like

Ion’s comment wasn’t encouraging though. He mentioned a non-interactive version, like a Mission table, where you choose a team and it gets automatically matched and battled.

2 Likes

Will get around to them eventually, maybe.
I’ve not done any PVP pet battles. Will need to read up on them before attempting those.

Currently doing the Argus Family Achievement. It’s tough, all the strats mention pets I don’t have so I need to cobble together strats by mixing & matching pets from different strats into one to see if they can work.
I have an unused DH running around a cave on Timeless isle looking for an Ominous Flame. I’m too tight to pay AH prices for pets…

ngl, other than doing the achievments i never understand the point of pvp pet battles

if there was tmogs and mounts to be gained it might be better but right now

its kinda low on rewards

really? damn. they are putting in bench some things.

in fact isnt bad. i suck in that, but is like do a chess game.

1 Like

They CAN be fun. They can. It’s possible. If you get two teams, each of which has multiple mechanics, and you understand the game, it’s like a miniature game of chess + poker, with calculation and bluff.

Usually, they’re not though. When you face a) strong teams that are b) no-brain to play in c) a totally predictable pattern, it’s all down to what composition you brought .Rock-Paper-Scissors.

In its present state, this is a mercy. If it gave absurdly good rewards, even more people whould feel forced to suffer.

1 Like

Pet battle PVP is great. My options are either… Don’t play wow and work or play some pet battles every 10 mins. Anything else and you’re not working, you’re just gaming.

Had lots of action since transferring server however so far 9/10 matches have been against the same person so not sure what to make of it all

Appreciate the replies. It’s clear that Blizz need to invest some time into this and hopefully make it more popular. For me it’s way more exciting than mount collecting. Solo some old raid content for a 0.2% chance of a drop. Nah not for me

edit: in regards to the changes, i’d love to be able to have like a mini series (best of 5 games) with someone. You each bring 2 teams and you can chose which team to play each game. First to 3 wins, wins).

2 Likes

Are weather moves still OP? Sandstorm hiting for over 50% of a pet’s HP isn’t fun.

2 Likes

There is lack of interest because of overpowered abilities. I like how they shift the blame towards the players when it was them who broke the game…

I think the key is to make sure that the meta pets aren’t hard to get pets. If all the super hard to get pets are the best then it creates a barrier to entry. Or store pets as well for obvious reasons

Yeah, That was a daft change

2 Likes

Not even the achievements motivated me.

1 Like

ngl i did it for a bit because beating the " trainer Masters " sometimes gave u a toy or pet

I’ve been doing some of the collecting ones and the trainer master thing but the pvp ones I just can’t find the motivation for xD

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.