Pet battles are the most underrated content in the game

Yes. /10ch

Don’t forget you can do many battles with a level 1 set of pets and Wowhead comments always show the best ones to use per fight.

They’re pretty good. And my roster isn’t the best. Not sure about the xp for them but the main reward is the teleports to the dungeons. You can teleport just outside Stratholme, very handy since Alliance has no cities in Northern Eastern Kingdoms to portal to. Other locations include Deadmines, Wailing Caverns, Blackrock Mountain.
Apart from that you earn some tokens to buy some pets.

The Celestial Tournament is one to work towards, pretty tricky with a smaller roster, took me ages to round up the required pets.

1 Like

well that’s kind of the same thing as a card game right, maybe they can balance the pets a little bit, but i guess the more patches the more zones that bring new pets and maybe that brings some more competitive combinations
tho it’s okay to be done with something, you don’t have to keep doing this

they are useful if you’re lazy to get world quests done lol, and to get quite a bit of gold from the auction house selling max level rare pets , some of them go for a few hundred thousands of gold
i think hazel did a pretty good job in this video that kinda made me realize what’s cool about pet battles

2 Likes

From Dalaran. Not like a mage’s teleport. Just clarifying.

Welcome to pet battling!

When I started with pet battles during the long, long drought of Siege of Orgrimmar, I too found myself delighted with revisiting all the beloved old zones with a purpose. :smiley:

It is really pleasant to tour the world collecting, and learning the mechanics of pet battling.

Like everything in WoW, it has been analysed to death, and I suggest you just work through the learning and beginning and collecting stages naturally rather than study the theorycrafting. They are the best, most enjoyable part!

Do please get these three addons:

1. Rematch
  2. Pet Tracker
  3. Battle Pet Breed ID

all three are essenftially mandatory for anyone collecting or battling. There are others that are optional, but those three are your basis.

These two sites are your bookmarks

https://www.wow-petguide.com/ - though this one is for later, when you have a roster of level 25s

PvP is not good. Long and sad story. Basically, the devs don’t want to promote competitive pet PvP, and they give it very little. The best reward is a level 25 Purple boost stone from Pet Week, and that is much harder to get than just paying 60 Charms for one at the vendor. There is no PvP apart from level 25s, and the current meta is sooo crazy unbalanced that most of the few people who did PvP have stopped.

You will need a beginning roster of Level 25 pets to do the dungeons. The Celestial Tournament, the original, is AMAZING. The others … opinions vary. Your main reward from the dungeons is more pets that you can buy with currency you earn in them.

There is also the WarcraftPets Discord where you will find lots of jaded but friendly old hands https://discord.gg/967Vu7G

I recently wrote some guides for another player at about your stage who wanted to get one of the Celestial Tournament pets. They might help you, too, and answer some of your questions.

If you want to know ANYTHING more, do check out the Pet Battles forum or the Discord!

1 Like

Good point but it is account wide.

thanks. i will probably have a look into it as i dont really know what to do in wow atm.

its just, whenever i look something up, its so much information and then i see what pets i have versus what i need and then i have to level them. it takes so much time in order to achieve anything that my brain already says

and then oh you have the right pet but you dont have the right spells because you need to level the damn thing first and then i cant help but thinking “oh my god i just want to do x why do i have to do a thousand things before i can do it”. and when you do something else you have to do the whole shabang again.

it probably gets easier once you re settled with a certain roster but… meh.

1 Like

I like this phrase from a comment in one of the latest threads on warcraftpets:

“PvP is a dumpster fire on a train wreck inside a toxic waste dump.”

So much potential. All wasted.

Ehhhhhhhhh. I don’t think it’s that.

Pet battles had a great start, agreed. A great start. An awesome start.

Thing is, it’s not so easy to expand on the basic structure, and I’m not sure the community would respond well to any fundamental changes. Lots of people - not the ones talking in the Discords, but the silent majority - quite like just pottering around collecting, and getting their Charms and quest credit for doing the WQ.

I could legitimately say that the devs deliberately backlined PvP, but they have supported the current collecting and PvE playstyle very well and faithfully across the expansions.

The legendary pets in recent expansions are actually the easiest of battles, but they do specifically need a Bleed & Stampede approach, and yes. you must have that in your toolbox. But pick up a Valk, Ikky, Skitterspine along with your basics an you’re good.

1 Like

Maybe you are right.

I mean, I am fine with the collection aspect staying at least. That thing works well for me. I agree they keep maintaining it reasonably well.

1 Like

They are indeed “underrated”(unappreciated) compared to mundane and pointless grinds like farming for months to get the ugliest mount in the game (e.g. TLP), but they are still not that great because they can be scripted from strats found on the web so the skill required is very little (you can mainly be skillful at using addons etc. compared to others but that’s not a huge deal for at least 1/3rd of players).

Basically in terms of gameplay richness: the battle mechanics of classes in PvE and PvP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> battle pets >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> grinding to get a mount you won’t even use.

1 Like

welcome to pet battles! signed: an avid collector!

1 Like

well that’s what i thought but leveling pets is the fun part for me, i take the quests from the orgrimmar guy and then i just go there and try to beat the different trainers, and do the quests he gives me, i look for counters ( for example elemental attacks do more damage against mechanical pets )
you’ll be able to beat pets that are higher level than yours and get a difficulty bonus, and you need to be careful if the enemy pet counters your type and it will be really hard for you
but eventually you’ll have a pet at level 25 and you can boost pets and then be able to dungeons and pvp
the cool part is not at the end imo, because at the start you don’t have a lot of pets to counter whichever one you’re against so you have to struggle a little bit and be creative and work with what you have instead of just getting the best pet available
tho don’t feel like you have to pet battle for any reason, just do a little bit of them when you’re bored or something

1 Like

This is the hazard of looking too far ahead before you’re ready, and then feeling “Why am I not there yet?”

You won’t feel comfortable until either

1. You set yourself a more modest goal, like get a specific roster of 12 or so pets to 25, (so that you can then take on more difficult content) or get the Safari achievements or

2. You outright buy a team of 25s, enough to skip the initial roster-building stage almost entirely.

1 Like

I think you are off on both counts. This mini-game is so extremely easier if you have the best pets: that if I started right now from zero: I would still try to get (gradually) the best pets and not rely on silly strats like “level-1-only strats” unless you actually don’t care about pets and only care about world quests but that’s off topic.

Regarding the buying 3 pets of 25 is also wrong because levelling 3 pets is extremely easy; e.g. learn how to do the tour of WoD and MoP trainers for 5k+ xp each; and there are more tricks to speed that up I may not know.

Oh, by now I know ALL the tricks. I wrote some of them. And I have also looked at Schmusedecke’s roster. So I knew exactly what was possible with Schmusedecke’s roster before I posted.

You won’t get around Draenor and Pandaria with only a Level 25 Fen Crab, Fragment of Suffering, and Shore Crab.

The point you are missing is that there is an level between “total beginner with no pets” and “I have a solid basic roster of 25s”. That level looks small and thin to someone who has completed the content, but it is very real and long to someone climbing it. I remember when I was in that layer back in Mists - I wrote a thread asking people “How do you stay sane when levelling so many pets?” :rofl: Catch-up mechanics have made levelling pets SO MUCH easier tha it was back then, but it is still real.

There is also the question of direction - without a mental map for intermediate goals of how to get from A to Zoroastrianism nothing feels like progress.

I remember feeling EXACTLY this. It was AWESOME. :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

I know what you mean (I’ve also wasted a lot of time in pet battles), but I would still go with gradually getting the best pets one by one even if it takes weeks.

To say it in practice and with terms we both understand: yes you might waste a couple of days to get Baa’l but Baa’l is worth twenty 25s in end-game.

1 Like

yeah i guess. i do have some level 25 pets but i suppose they arent the best. i even tried to get into it and tried to kill all the pet tamers for the achievement but after getting hard stuck in northrend i just gave up because i was utterly frustrated and tbh i havent really touched it ever since.

1 Like