Playing classic... And thoughts about next expansion

I can get more in an hour by doing island expeditions. Doing anything else than IE for AP is stupid if you want AP.

When your absolutely biggest upgrade comes from getting 65 HoA it is extremely daunting to start playing the game now. All my friends I’ve tried to get into retail get to 120, realise how far behind they are and leave.

Then they level to 60 in classic and are having fun instead

2 Likes

I never said that it was the fastest method. If I was farming AP in the most efficient way possible. I would be running with a 65 neck long ago. I chose to take it slow and don’t pay attention to it. Fully knowing that I will get the 65 neck level at my own pase. If you want to grind the neck NOW NOW NOW. Then be prepared to grind for it. But if you want the lvl 65 neck NOW NOW NOW but will do NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING to archive it…then I guess complaining on the forums is the last thing to do. And before you start with the “thats not fun and etc”. Well deal with it. I also had to farm sieges at the start of S3 for like 2-3 weeks until I finally got the trinket I wanted. The last siege runs I did, felt like getting your teeth pulled is more “fun” than to run another siege. But I swallowed it and did it. Done.

Getting your 65 neck level. Does not give you a “world shattering difference”. Yes its an upgrade(for my mage like +2k dps). Yet I can easily do good dps against people who have neck lvl 65+. So unless you are part of some hard-core very competitive mythic guild. You can just take chill pill. Also, all mythic big boys who are competitive, know that they will need to do some heavy grinding at every raid tier start to stay competitive in their high raiding levels. It comes with the “territory”.

I am also leveling a paladin now. Since I really want to play a paladin in m+s(hehe. Dont laugh :D). I am fully aware of what a big cesspool of grinding is ahead of me, once I reach lvl 120(99 atm). So if my main had to go trough all of that. Then why do people who start late/make alts suddenly have to get a “free boost”? If anything they are already getting a boost. The amount of AP needed to reach next levels gets reduced every week.

If you want AP, it’s going to take years by doing mythic plus.

Yes, retail is screwed up and could have been a lot better

1 Like

Yeah, that’s great and all. But that also defeats the PURPOSE of the grind. In Classic, once you’ve gotten something, you know you surpassed that boundary and others will have too. I’m not saying it is a bad thing it gets reduced, but right now, getting to 65 is a haul. I am not certain how much you need anymore, since I haven’t played retail since at least a month, but I was at some AP level and needed 39k AP. Telling that to my friend who is 100k+ AP behind me isn’t exactly enticing.

That being said, HoA is a time gate, and now we’ve gone full circle. I can come back in two months and just fart in the general direction of an emissary and gain 3 levels on it. Why bother starting NOW, if you haven’t been playing a while already.

1 Like

Do an inspect on me right now.
Neck lvl 63(close to 64).
Now what I did when it comes to AP grind:
M+ spam every week. Since this rogue is my “m+ main”
Did the weekly 3/3 islands but I skipped at least 3 weeks in S3(the last week included haha).
Emissary quest wise: Only did the 4/4 emissary which gave AP. Didn’t do the other emmies+only 4 quests to finish it. Not 1 WQ more.
Edit: oh yeah and I did 3x HC EP clears on guild HC nights. Since I wanted the wep+ashvane trinket. :smiley:

So. Was I grinding like a madman? Haha no. So if you don’t want to get AP in a way which is acceptable to you. Then there is nothing me or any other forum poster can do to help you.

Just a note. Complaining on the forums won’t make your neck suddenly magically become lvl 65. Or maybe its your “secret plan” scream out of your lungs about it and Blizzard will give in and give you neck lvl 65? :rofl:

Edit2:

First, never said it was the perfect system, nor I am a big fan of it. I can just tolerate it -> “If it must be done then gonna get it over with”.
Also I just play the game and find stuff which are fun to me. AP grind was never fun for me. So I don’t mindlessly farm it. Also we have a different attitudes towards the neck grind. Some people(NOT targeting this at you) consider neck lvl 65 as “TOP prio. A question of life or death” and such are annoyed by the time gate. I don’t consider it it as some top priority objective and thus allow it to accumulate its AP while I do stuff which I don’t mind doing.

So you aren’t even 65? How long have you played? How many M+ have you done?

Try reading the OP.

Raider io shows: 75 timed runs(all brackets). Also a ****load of un-timed runs+runs which did not get recorded at all. Playing on high pop realm(Silvermoon) can do that sometimes…
Playing since start of BfA(obviosly started earlier but what does bfa neck levels have to do with tbc or wotlk? :D). Also keep in mind. I started to even do islands when patch 8.2 hit and essences appeared. In patches 8.0-8.1 I didnt do a SINGLE island. :rofl:

Edit:

Read your previous OP. Didn’t take me “years” to get to neck lvl 63. Might even get neck lvl 65 this week if I feel grindy enough haha.
Or…do I have to read the start where you are whining about the grind and worshiping Classic?

Not in terms of gear. I came back to the game, ran M+ a bit, geared up quickly. The ability to catch up in BFA relatively easily is a major benefit of retail for me, because I don’t feel so “trapped” in the game. In vanilla or BC, catching up after taking a break was very difficult, so pausing was fairly prohibitive as far as the end game content was concerned. Two weeks to get the heart to 65, without unreasonably amounts of playing. I’d go weeks without gear upgrades in vanilla.

No, you didn’t.

It’s not that bad. Yes it has some bad stuff.
Guess what; so does Classic.

And attunements. And rep.

Yeah it’s stupid.

Artifact weapons were AWESOME.

For you maybe. I loved it. Sure, in BfA not so much because I really don’t like the HoA.

Agreed.
If they do add a post-max level system, I hope it will be one that’s engaging, fun, adds actual choices and playstyles and is a system that STAYS.
I’m fairly fed up with “GRIND EXPANSION SYSTEM A” “EXPANSION B RELEASES AND EXPANSION SYSTEM A IS NOW GONE” type stuff.

???

Choose one.

No. Nice bait though.

EDIT: Seeing as I haven’t played for a full month due to it being mundane, you might be right and I forfeit that statement.

So NOW it might be okay to start, it wasn’t before.

I thought it was pretty clear;

I loved the artifact weapon AP grind.
I don’t love the HoA AP grind.

You just said you loved it when it was introduced and then you say you don’t like it.

???

Dude, learn to read. It’s very clear.
So either comprehend what I wrote or stop trolling. Take your pick.

I know how to read. You said you loved when they introduced the grind but then you also said you don’t like it.

Yes. Because the artifact weapon was cool. I loved that system.

They took what was cool about that system and removed it and then made the Heart of Azeroth system from what was left over (the not cool parts).

If I’m grinding for something I’d like the end result to appeal to me. That makes the grinding itself more fun. That’s how it works for me anyway.