Posting items for 499k gold

its for gold buyers for real money. You put up the sale on AH, then they buy it. The defence, if blizz ever queries such things, is that the goldseller bought it by accident and boo at the vendor grrr it makes them so angry they fell for it blah blah blah. No rules broken.

2 Likes

I’m sure assssssssdffffff would struggle say why hes bought 12 on that account in the last day.:smile:

i went to make a cup of tea and my roommate who I am having issues with currently (he thinks because im a woman that i shouldn’t be playing computer games instead of cooking his dinner)decided, in vengeance, to buy all the items he could to annoy me … oh gosh darn those roommates. Are you really going to punish me because im having issues with my sexist roommate and just wanted a cup of tea?
For every situation, there is always a scumbag willing to come up with a lie about it.

This is the main reason. And the old BC version of this was putting a piece of copper up on the AH in Stragglethorn to send gold to your Horde/Alliance alt.

I think you might want to either throw that person out if you own the house/lease or move out if not. They do not sound like a safe person to be living with.

That sounds like harassment that could almost be reported to the police.

1 Like

You might want to take his post in context, he was giving an example of a lie he could tell to fool Blizz investigators…

There was a thread about that, where someone bought … an enchant, I think? … in a hurry and lost most of his gold because of it.

Someone might list one item at a high price to transfer gold between factions, but that one item is likely to be a piece of grey or white junk. When you see a dozen of them listed for 499K, all listed by the same seller, it’s a trap for unwary buyers in a hurry.

Right now on AD I see a eight Netherweave bags listed at 499K
https://theunderminejournal.com/#eu/argent-dawn/item/21841
(bottom of the page)

Also Pact of Haste
https://theunderminejournal.com/#eu/argent-dawn/item/153443

It’s not a good thing. I don’t know what the right response is, though. Maybe the situation will improve with the long-promised revamp of the AH UI, but until then, use Auctionator or TSM, and be careful what you bid on!

Oh I missed that :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I was genuinely worried for their safety!

I use auctioneer, I don’t really spend much time in AH anyway and always list from cheapest buyout first and spend time making sure.

I’m still a little unconvinced how that scam is workable, you do get a pop up before purchase which asks if you are sure you want to spend xx gold. Or is that just my add on?

Don’t people click the arrow on price, so it lists the lowest one? Should be doing that on everything you buy lol.

4 Likes

The trick is to put a low Bid Price along with the high Buy Price, so that clicking the arrow may indeed show you the lowest … Bid Price. Since it’s the same column, it’s easy to overlook.

Here’s another thread about it. Not the one I was thinking of, though, where the poor player lost almost all their gold.

Actually, it is not.

You can sell whatever you want for whatever price you want. You are not forcing anyone to buy those items from you.
Also, those prices exist to mess up with the addons, because those higher prices will increase the mean market value of that specific item.

Also, if you sell something for a higher market value, only two things can happen: you either sell it and make a huge deal or you don’t and you eventually decrease the price.

It must just be my add on that lets you list lowest buyout price first then no matter what the bid price is?

A very dangerous thing to do on higher ticket items BTW as you will get people clicking to bid and not buying out.

but that doesn’t make sense, as if their account was hacked then the hacker would just have stolen the gold rather than use it to buy the items … either way theres a route for the gold, so its just extra effort to do the AH way.
Personally, I don’t believe that scam claim … and as above, its just a convincing lie for blizzard which just shows how manipulative some players are. Kudos for blizzard not believing it as, when you sit down a look at the facts, its obviously a lie. 20 quid says the person who bought the items was a real life pal

Yes, but we’re not seeing this used on top-tier BoEs. Just regular stuff that is high-volume and people don’t think much about.

If you don’t believe that this is happening, ok, but then how do you account for all the buy prices set at insane values like 499K that you can see on most realms? That can’t be a coincidence.

Please. Check The Undermine Journal for yourself on any high or even medium sized realm. Look up routine consumables and crafts that people regularly buy. Look to the very bottom of the page. You will see a string of prices in the insane range.

Here’s a couple to start you off:
https://theunderminejournal.com/#eu/draenor/item/153443
https://theunderminejournal.com/#eu/silvermoon/item/153443
https://theunderminejournal.com/#eu/silvermoon/item/21841
https://theunderminejournal.com/#eu/draenor/item/21841

This trick has been used since vanilla to trick people into buying stuff for a lot of gold. You cannot transfer gold across realms unless they are connected.

You can’t buy your own auctions either so you would need to give the gold to someone you trust to buy the item to transfer gold across factions.

I know someone who used the AH way to buy gold and they got caught.

Try disabling your addon and see the base UI. The same column is used for Bid and Buy price. Clicking on it either changes the sort order or switches between Bid and Buy. People can easily be clicking absent mindedly, choose to buy the first thing, and then click through without looking. Of course, most people won’t, but at 500K a pop, you don’t have to catch many to make it worth doing.

I shall check it out when I’m next in game. I’ve used the add on for so long I take it for granted that the UI is standard :blush:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.