Potiongate - how it should have been handled

Or instead of doing 10 times more work that is not needed at all they could just suspend them because they broke the ToS.

Or not so.

Simple reasons appear to be things of madness these days. How dare we think logically!! Shame on us.

no it was not as simple as drink another one to refresh it, since its hotfixed it should be ok so share youtube link about it, as you can see its onley possible to do it on purpose: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoUmgmDsP80

1 Like

That’s not something you do, “by accident.”

what was handled poorly was that Blizzard didn’t react in time. Lock the character from being used for a set amount of hours or give everyone a 1-2 day ban. What in the actual crap did players do with the exploit if some are rumored to be unbanned 2nd week of Crucible?

When you have a lot of people reporting a bug, the very obvious thing would be for the developers to look into it. From the people I’ve listened to, Blizzard did the exact opposite. They simply ignored it and then people went “oh well if Blizzard aren’t doing anything about it, it’s okey”. It’s not some exploit which lets you one-shot high end bosses or something. it was a big xp boost. Players have done far worse exploits without being punished for it.

Blizzard are just useless when it comes to communicating with the community. A bug which makes a class underperform? Nah who gives a crap. A bug/cheese mechanic that makes a class perform a little better? NERF THAT CRAP! But let’s wait another month before we fix the underperformance bug issue. Or what’s better, communicate changes that are made to the game. Players have a right to know all the changes applied to the game. We are not supposed to realize a change in the middle of a raid or dungeon because Blizzard can’t communicate like normal adults.

Edit: It’s very easy to ban players after there have been several reports about the bug, but it’s super hard to change the xp potion so you can actually see when it runs out. That’s just too difficult…

There was a blue response on the Customer Support forum confirming it would be considered exploiting.

That was in the form of a suspension, which any exploit should be.

Or the fandom they would get for being the bad guy sticking it to the man…

We really did not need (yet) another thread… there are countless others you could have posted this in. It’s done. We get it, levelling is a chore which is why people did it… its a reason, but not an excuse.

2 Likes

Man some people here are way too harsh. Deleting someones character over someone leveling a few characters faster? Seriously?
Rules are good guidelines but you should never place your rules over your players. Honestly surprised they went this far on this one. Banning players that abused it on pvp I do understand though.

Took them more than 2 days to even respond to massive amounts of questions on twitter + no devs communicated in any way. Also lore makes a smug tweet 3 days after bug was REPORTED AND DISCOVERED. Why are you trying to only blame the players and praise blizzard?

1 Like

Blizzard went total overkill. 48h hours would have been enough.

Instead of banning people they should really open a discussion about leveling, nerfing our chars and XP boost (looms now limited to 50%, no RAF, no more boosting, removed the potions) doesn’t help thus why people hate it. But I bet they do already hence why we got the “Buy a boost!”. Making it longer while prunning chars doesn’t make it more fun. Give us a way to really speed it up along with even some challenge scenario to skip parts. Right now the only thing they want you to do is buy a boost, buying a boost means them keeping leveling the slow boring drag it’s now.

1 Like

Those that had not abused the game rules before only got 2-3 days. Those that got more… well thats based on their history, not this specific rule breach. Every time a penalty is added, it gets more severe the more rule breaks there are.

Even if I did not have green text, you don’t need an IQ of over 9000 to work out that this particular thing was NOT an intended mechanic. Taking advantage of it knowing full well that Blizzard did not intend it to work this way is what it is, taking advantage. To most it was clear, you can see that in the posts on this forum where people were discussing it and many replying “Its an exploit”… but they continued to do so… and I do understand, many do not use these forums, but they are quick to find these forums when they get banned for it. It was on Reddit, twitter, facebook etc but mostly it was on those sites I wont mention that are specifically for the purpose of leaking exploits.

I do have sympathy with those that did this completely unknowing of the consequences, I am sure there are many, but those coming here to the forums are not so wet behind the ears, they are on these forums, they have seen these type of things before and as such should have realized where this route would lead.

I’m not a blizzard fanboy by any means, but I am completely for fair gameplay. Why should someone get their heritage armor weeks before me because they chose to use something that was clearly an exploit when I would not?

4 Likes

it was closed 15th march you’d have to dig to find it since it would be buried under more recent posts. They should have said something on twitter since they insist on communicating through it.

Just a tweet that they are aware of it and a warning that exploiting it further might result in suspensions.

If you report an in-game event as a bug, and then continue to cause said event on purpose, and it turns out it actually was a bug, you deserve a ban. Doesn’t matter what Blizzard communicates.

1 Like

That’s more likely to encourage more people.

How petty can you be?

People out leveling you. Wow.

That doesn’t affect you in any way.

I get the feeling that you got a ban.

1 Like

I couldn’t afford those xp pots, and if I could I wouldn’t exploit it.

This just makes it clear that blizzard needs to buff the looms and add in new ones so that you can have a complete set, with everything giving 30-50%

imo a rollback to before the pots where used with affected characters and a 48 hour ban would have solved it.

i mean, people exploited it but also blizzard didnt fix the issue before it was to late yet they act like they didnt do anything wrong in the first place, even when they knew about the issue with the pots. (preach gaming and others even reported it but got no real respons from blizzard before all this).

And no i didnt get banned or exploited this but do think blizzard is kinda pathetic when they could have just fixed this instead of doing as they do in every ptr, beta you name it: Ignore the feedback.

2 Likes

Tbh if you want to give any kind of feed back, you need to do it on the NA forums, because the EU forums seems to be neglected, and that’s just bad because you need a NA account with a char of high enough level to even post there