PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Imagine a game mechanic where you implode from diving too deep without a suit.

1 Like

→ Steps into waters separated by the Stone of Golganneth in Nazjatar
→ Flipping dies

Sounds fair.

3 Likes

I’m willing to bet a finger that Lightforged Garrosh is going to be a skin they will give out to all returning Chinese Hearthstone players.

7 Likes

Exarch Hellscream will free the orcs of their inequities. Theirs has been a story of failed redemption and discarded epiphanies, the looming spectre of honour askew poisoning their souls to the point where right and wrong is decided at the edge of a blade.

3 Likes

At this point, the honor of the orcs can be summarized as this:

Anything I do, and if i win, then its honorable. Anything the enemy does and if I lose, is dishonorable.

12 Likes

Victory or Death.

Unless I’m losing then retreat is allowed.

4 Likes

Until Orcish honor is codified and given a hierarchy regarding personal, societal/clanic and military honor, I will struggle to be engaged. A character, if consistent is cool for them at kind of theme, I won’t deny that.

PS : No, Sadfang wasn’t a good poster boy for it.

4 Likes

Headcanon that orcish society weirdly complex. More headcanon incoming below

The core principle of their society is Victory at any cost, no matter what. It doesn’t matter if its in combat, a contest, or even something as simple as a simple recreational game. However, because of this notion that your personal victory is all that matters, orcs have developed a societal, extreme level of poor sportsmanship and being absolutely horrendous in defeat. If you lose, it wasn’t because the other person was better, first or even lucky. It must be because they cheated, they were dishonorable! Their victory no longer counts and your families are now in a generational blood-feud.

This assumption that everyone else cheats, combined with that you must achieve victory at any cost despite this, has given rise to a society in which EVERBODY uses all matter of nefarious means and skulduggery to achieve success, all while pretending not to and calling out everyone else. Sabotage, spreading nasty rumors, poisoning, assassinations etc. Whatever can be used to give an edge, no matter how insidious, an orc will always take it. Because they naturally assume their enemy does as well.

So we have a society built on a strange almost performance, in which everyone talks and boast about their honor and how everyone else is untrustworthy. All while they are all doing exactly the same thing in the shadows. For a tribal society which on the outside looks fairly simplistic, there is a strange complexity to them due to this odd song and dance of betrayal and keeping up appearances.

Edit: Further headcanon. This is also why we have seen so many examples of orcs being so brutal towards their defeated foes, often committing torture and humiliation rather than a simple kill. In their minds, their foes have been just as insidious, more so actually, than they have been. So now that they are defeated, a quick death or graceful defeat is not an option. They must be punished for their dishonorable ways, in the most painful and humiliating ways imaginable.

And just like before, it doesn’t matter what this is or who their opponent is. It could be a battlefield duel, an innocent civilian, a child. Even animals. It could be something as simple as a children’s game or just reaching a line at the vendor stall faster than you. Your foe is wrong, dishonest and must be treated with utmost hostility and you must be as awful as possible when you “win” to show that you are better.

2 Likes

You simply aren’t allowed to write an honour culture without establishing what it deems honourable. At this point we basically have to do fantasy sociology to peel the onion of what they respond to and when hypocrisy is best ignored.

4 Likes

It doesn’t help that the concept of orcish honor seems to differ not only per clan but sometimes even per individual…

1 Like

I really don’t like having to reduce Orcish honor to just “Whatever their gut feeling says” but it does appear that way upon cursory look. I’m sure someone who ravenously devoured all Orc content could do so but that ain’t me.

Having a list of what all clans considers honorable would be a good start then go downstream to what each clan see as honorable or not so even if they contradict what all clans have agreed upon. Does they only extend to Orcs only? Do sapient creature count even within that framework?

Damn warlocks have to provide a loicense to be one but Orcish honor is vagueposting or straight up whatever feels right.

1 Like

Reminds me of Klingon honor from Star Trek. A line from DS9 where they come across damaged ships and Worf advises against trying to rescue survivors because cloaked Birds of Prey are likely lying in ambush. Bashir questions if that’s honorable, ambush and using injured as bait, and Worf dryly responds “In war nothing is more honorable than victory.”

Worf is honorable to a fault, while the other Klingons only care about appearing honorable while gleefully engaging in all sorts of dishonorable things the moment the back of anyone who would call them out is turned.

Thrall is Worf. The rest of the orcs are Klingons.

8 Likes

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/561287824964452363/1259203154525028352/honour.PNG?ex=668ad3d2&is=66898252&hm=937d6f10a8896519734b9fab048138d8576679fb4414466a471e377a136ef780&

correct

1 Like

those are all objectively good + honorable things to do

4 Likes

It’s genuinely insane how little it takes in this forum for any appearance of anything Horde related in any official Warcraft media for everything to quickly turn into lore discussions of Horde lore from people not any more interested in it than justifying their main roleplay character’s motivations.

Please, the faction lore containment thread is that way.

8 Likes

Honour is just a morality system. Some people have their own independent morality and what they believe is good, and so do other people, which leads to clashing perspectives. There’s also a general societal sense of morality, that most people within that society subscribe to, though there is likely going to be some deviation.

So there’s not going to be any objective definition of what orcish honour is. It’s just morals with a martial coat of paint and for the most part, what is obvious works.

I mean, paladins and the Light have been just as complicated and difficult to pin down for over twenty years, ever since Of Blood and Honor, as written by Chris Metzen, but you don’t see this forum going out of its way to dunk on the Light.

3 Likes

More often than not it comes across as a thinly veiled way to flagellate other players for what faction they like.

1 Like

Well, ‘Paladin’ is not a race, so…

Also, people were pretty heavily dunking on Paladins/Light during Legion, vis a vis ‘Stop homogenising everything, good grief!’

1 Like

It is kinda funny how often a thread devoted to PTR and Spoilers just devotes into 200 post long discussions while anything spoiler related ends up ignored.

1 Like

I can’t help but feel it needs something in the middle of the chest. A bit more flair.

4 Likes