Burning Crusade Classic Arena Match Making System

Over the first few days of ranked Arena play in Burning Crusade Classic, we’ve seen some feedback and inquiries from players that we’d like to answer with a brief explainer.

There are multiple PvP performance ratings used by the game. Every Arena team has a team rating that starts at 0 and increases as the team plays Arena matches together. Additionally, each player who is on a team has a personal rating that is calculated based on the results of the Arena matches they’ve played as a part of their team. If a player leaves a team, their personal rating associated with that team will be reset. If a player joins a team that has already played matches, the player will join with up to 1000 rating points of the team’s current team rating. These values are displayed in the PvP frame, and they are used to determine end-of-season awards and weekly points.

To keep players matching against opponents of similar skill, the game also calculates a matchmaking rating (MMR) for each character. After each match concludes, your MMR is updated to better reflect your skill level, and your team rating and personal rating are updated depending on the match result and the matchmaking calculations. This MMR follows your character from team to team, so when a player leaves a team and joins a new team, they will immediately face similarly skilled opponents, even if that new team starts at a team rating of 0.

Ultimately, the more games you play as part of the same team, the closer your personal rating will get to your MMR.

6 Likes

I am afraid most will not understand the above! :slight_smile:

ok now fix bg queues

12 Likes

Ofcourse blizzard responds to an issue, which barely anyone has written about.
But the elephant in the room that is BG queue are not addressed.

Please Blizzard if anything, just give us a short bluepost that says “Lol get rekt horde, you wont be able to do BGs”
Atleast then I can quit in peace.

7 Likes

Thanks for the writeup, I never fully understood the way MMR works just thought it would probably be fair.

Now for an exercise in theory: I am in team Ultragankz, we are at 2010 arena rating, and probably all are at 2010 MMR rating, as we all played 2509 matches together and we are really close an so on. I leave the team, because one of them is German and I didn’t know. Now with that personal 2010 MMR rating I make a new team Phantastyko and invite 2 brand new lvl 70’s. Will we face 2010 ranked players, 1000 ranked players, or 0 ranked players?

There is nothing to fix. Working as intended.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. Are there any plans in making arena more like retail? It really sucks that some ppl can’t play together because they don’t want to leave their arena team.

Do I understand correct that the team rating is worth nothing then?
Its not affecting the weekly points, nor the end-of-season awards, nor the enemies you face.

So having team ratings has zero impact?!

Almost nobody asked for this, however we asked solutions for BG queues (horde), for example faction transfers, and we get what, 0 replies??

There has to be a problem before asking for a solution

1 Like

When is paid faction changes coming?.
Plz the 1 hour bg que is killing the game :sob::sob:

who asked

fix bg queues

This matchmaking system feels really bad compared to the original TBC.

I have gone 40-15 in my first week of 2v2 and because I played with 2 different people i’m at 1540 rating. With TBC rating system id be +25 games = ~1900 rating (obviously likely less in reality as id have been playing vs better players).

I know you’re supposed to stick with your teams etc but this seems pretty unfair.

There fixed it for you

2 Likes

blizzard fixed it just now

ty blizz (:

You think this will fix faction balance?

i asked for bg queues to be fixed, not faction balance (:

Thank you so much :heart::heart::heart::heart:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.