User Interface and Quest Updates in The War Within™

User Interface and Quest Updates in The War Within™

We’re making some improvements to the User Interface and to quest icons in The War Within™ that will help navigate your adventures even better— including a new arachnophobia filter!

View Full Article

3 Likes

It’s great a key is included in game now to explain what everything means.

I also love this new spellbook, especially on my slightly wider monitor

2 Likes

Oh have they finally shrunk it from taking up the entire screen? Thank goodness, felt like I was being punched in the face xD

Also that spider creature has a cute little face :dracthyr_hehe_animated:

OK but when will I be able to hide quest markers I’m not interested in?

1 Like

" Delves (not shown in screenshot): Content designed for a party of five adventurers using any combat role, and provides loot. "

Mistype? Fairly sure that’s meant to be " Content designed for a party of one to five adventurers. "

If Delves are now 5man, that’s kind of a substantial design change, 4 weeks before launch! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

‘Up to five’ would seem more appropriate

2 Likes

I thought it was up to three?

I guess the boosters need work :smiley:
I just hope they will not be too much harder to do alone

If they are not easy to do alone then they have failed as a “green whatever it is” feature.

I would think (hope) that it’s merely a typo the intern who wrote this article made. :sweat_smile:

No it was always 1-5 and role agnostic.

I hope revamping the guild UI is on the short-term list of overhauls. As a social game, guilds play a huge part in player interaction, and will be even more important when they become cross-realm with The War Within. The current UI is, frankly, horrible and lacking by modern day standards. I am definitely digging the overhauls done so far, though!

…trying to work out if this means I can remove some Quest assist type addons :thinking:

Delves are 1-5 player, role-agnostic, 10-15 minute adventures throughout Khaz Algar. Delves have narrative tie-ins and will have an NPC companion accompany player(s) for a narrative tie-in and to help out. Delves are a permanent addition to WoW going forward and are meant to be the new endgame pillar for world content.

:wink:

Thanks, I hope they get the scaling right with it then.

2 Likes

Icons look like from some free to play mobile game

1 Like

I like these new changes, makes it all much clearer, but if I had the opportunity to make two adjustments:

1. Alter the Hub icon, as its color blends in too much with the map’s color.
  2. Enable the world map to be movable, allowing it to be dragged as needed.
2 Likes

Hi, can you undo all of it? Maybe except maybe the Arachnophobia mode and the crafting reagent thing, that’s nice.

Vanilla WoW map:

Just the map, figure it out or get a strategy guide
Default expectation is no strategy guide cause it’s more fun for the people who care, write quests accordingly

Retail WoW map:

Quests
  • Campaign: Quests that continue the main story.
  • Legendary: Quests that give legendary rewards.
  • Repeatable: Time gated quests.
  • In Progress: Quests that are currently in progress.
  • Important: Quests that unlock important features and rewards or teach you about the major mechanics.
  • Meta: Time gated quests that give valuable end game rewards.
  • Local Story: Quests that explore local cultures and side adventures.
  • Turn In: Quests that are ready to be turned in.
Limited-Time Activities
  • World Quests: Open world activities that give varying rewards.
  • Bonus Objective: Bonus open world activities that give experience and varying amounts of rewards.
  • Rare: A special creature that provides various rewards.
  • World Boss: A difficult open world boss that drops valuable loot, intended for large groups of players.
  • Event: Various patch specific activities that provide valuable rewards.
  • Rare Elite: A rare special creature that has a chance of dropping valuable loot.
Activities
  • Dungeon: Content designed for a party of five adventures and provides loot.
  • Hub: A central location with NPCs, activities, and available quests.
  • Pet Battle: Challenge NPCs to pet battles.
  • Raid: Challenging content that is intended for large groups of players, and provides valuable loot.
  • Delves (not shown in screenshot): Content designed for a party of five adventurers using any combat role, and provides loot.
  • Digsite: An archaeology location where you can dig for artifacts.
Movement
  • Teleport Point: Teleports you to a different region.
  • Cave Entrance: The entrance to a cave or different zone.
  • Flightpoint: Transports you to a different area in the same region.

It’s hard to imagine a way to be more disrespectful to the game’s original vision. I gave my feedback about this on the beta forum; stop telling players where everything is out of the gate. You’re destroying the sense of discovery and world.

As for the spellbook - nobody asked for a full-screen spellbook. Not a single person. Why do you do this?

Honestly, at some point we should get some addon developers together to create a classic UI panels addon; as opposed to ClassicUI which “just” overhauls action bars etc. back to what they were, now we need an addon that makes panels and buttons consistent and functional instead of this hilariously colossal thing.

4 Likes

Just as a reminder that MANY players today don’t value “sense of discovery” over a well explained game.

Because there are other players than just you that want or need those changes to feel the like the game is playable.

Why do you think it is so hard to get new people to play WoW? Because the game in its design is oudated since years and needs to go with the time more. They dropped the leading position and as result, have to catch up now.

1 Like

That’s not just an explanation, it’s a spoiler.

Well, they’re wrong. The game was perfectly playable. And if they really want it, we’ve had addons that do it anyway.

No, precisely the opposite. The games that are popping off these days share far more in common with Classic than retail. Retail has begun to resemble what people these days are calling “Ubislop”. It sells, but I don’t know for how much longer, and it doesn’t sell as well as the big hitters.

BEHOLD MY OPINIONS PRESENTED AS FACTS.

You keep mentioning people and players when you mean you.

Try googling the term. Perhaps then you’d realise I’m not the only one using that term? :person_shrugging:

I’ll just leave this here as an allegory for what has happened to WoW.

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fkavp1h82csl81.png

And you know what? Create a new game and do this with it? Fine. But taking a game that set out to not do that and then doing that to it is kinda disrespectful.