PvP scaling and why secondaries don't matter

28/08/2018 07:21Posted by Johhnyßravo
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/302808819

sexy boiiiii gachiBASS

but yea %^-* is bonkers.
28/08/2018 09:52Posted by Deiman
28/08/2018 02:09Posted by Bómba

You never know anymore, cd on dispells, gcd on healers defensives and plenty of other stuff that no sane person would do.

Both dispell CDs and GCDs are there for a good reason, even though it could've been executed better for sure.

This random scaling all over the place, however, is on a whole another level of rubbish and I simply refuse to believe it exists. Blizz is on a trend of making some major shortsighted decisions for an RPG, no surprise there, but this is stepping over the line by a mile. This would downright annihilate whatever is left out of their reputation.

Hence, if anything like this is indeed happening, it must be unintended, right? RIGHT?

If the good reason is slowing down the game, it isnt good. Pvp should be fast paced, not the dampening !@#$show it was in legion. If you used to spam dispells you would run out of mana pretty fast, so if you want to dispell alot you could wear alot of spirit/mp5 gear but then your heals are weaker. Thats how it should be, trading one strenght for other with your gear. Also whats with 45 sec and increased cast time on mass dispell. Every spell that needs MD is on 30 sec cd plus you can rarely cast it since good people will find a way to interupt you. Better not to start on dumbenimg of classes, disc priest is in its worst state ever (took away PI, have to waste honor talent on SWD, cd on MD, have to talent scream to be 30 sec so why even have that talent row, penance went from strongest single target heal to meh spell etc.). Their solution is to increase smite dmg lol. Im sure same goes for other specs (warr stances), sure its easier for new players to pvp but whole point should be that we have alot to learn about our class and have alot of options what to do in certain situations. You can just switch to a new spec and be learn to preform good with it in couple of days. Good games are suposed to have high learning curve and high skill ceilings.

GCDs arent too bad on some skills but not on lets say rapture or archangel which actually reduces instead of increases my healing for next 3-4 gcds...

I feel like all those changes are made for mythic/pve and then they just patch it up for pvp (dampening).
about time i used my legendary staff from 4 expansions ago!!!
It still seems to work only for dmg tho.... my heal output dropped by around 40% and I was squishier as well.... of course disci do not suffer from that :^)
28/08/2018 15:53Posted by Lokraa
It still seems to work only for dmg tho.... my heal output dropped by around 40% and I was squishier as well.... of course disci do not suffer from that :^)

Atleast that is a somehow...compensation...?
Full geared people global noobs....not a fan of it but this system looks really bad.

Just bring back late wod system. Where you can easily farm blues and epic was +10 ilvls. Was perfect. Legion was awful with this artifact grind. And in bfa you want rng bless your items with 3 traits you want.

So blizz is like yeahhh we want people to be competitive even with worse gear. But its only easy for pvers with their grinded azerite gear.

Had capped like 5 character in wod 3 in mop from legion im struglling with one

Pls bring back holinka
From today's patch notes:
Player versus Player
Many low-level items with effects that provide crowd-control such as Silence or Stun will now stop working at a level appropriate to the item’s expansion.

This is the first time Blizzard has mentioned/confirmed the PvP scaling officially, however i would really prefer a blue post with a detailed explanation of how the system works. My testing seems to indicate that the scaling factor is indeed a simple targetHP/attackerHP multiplier, but maybe that is coincidental and the system is actually more complicated than that.

This hotfix btw also means that you can now put your Dark Iron Pulverizer and similar items back on the bank lol
Dear Blizzard,

Please explain in detail how this system works. What are the formulas you use to calculate damage done and how are secondaries weighted?

If it's a flat YourHP/TheirHP, what happens if I socket stamina? Is the tauren racial a passive damage nerf?

Is intellect ignored? Can't I socket int over haste? Do sockets work in PvP?

Please explain, instead of having us trying to reverse engineer it. It seems very susceptible to abuse in its current state.
I tested this yesterday

My mastery increases dot damage i do by a %

Deathbolt hits for 30% of the remaining damage of my dots

I farmed ilvl 100 gear from dragonsoul etc (the more sockects the better) And threw 40 mastery gems in EVERYTHING

i had around 60k hp (deleted my 340 gear and put the rest in void storage)

I was deathbolting for 60k on my screen (would be around 90k on their screen due to scaling etc)

It was BEYOND broken, i would literally one shot anyone and it needs to be fixed, why should having good gear and high ilvl in your bags make you do less damage? Where’s the logic?
Lol wtf gems working and ilvl not...

Also if im naked and have only 3 azerite items and all of them are crit/ mastery. Thats mean i have 0 versa 0 haste and huuuge mastery and crit after scaling?

Such a mess
29/08/2018 08:59Posted by Kadis
I tested this yesterday

I farmed ilvl 100 gear from dragonsoul etc (the more sockects the better) And threw 40 mastery gems in EVERYTHING

I was deathbolting for 60k on my screen (would be around 90k on their screen due to scaling etc)

It was BEYOND broken, i would literally one shot anyone and it needs to be fixed, why should having good gear and high ilvl in your bags make you do less damage? Where’s the logic?

seems fine to me.. Blizzard tried hard to create System that is worse than Legion templates.

i Think 3 Socket Low lvl items will be BiS

Maybe Next addon there will be a total Removal of items.
we wouldnt even need an inventory then. as there wont be anything to grind you could just stop playing. :)
If that's the case this is seriously a major flow and is either some fault in the scaling system or is a major flop of the design.
In both cases it should be fixed ASAP.
Scaling is such a stupid mechanic anyway proven time and again in the hole gaming community (not only WoW) that it doesn't work well in RPGs and always breaks games. Developers that first started using it, pulled back from it and those who use it created very limited, very restrained, more close to non-existent, scaling systems.
Blizzard trying to use it in such a complex RPG is just mind-boggling.
Do Blizzard want Oblivion fiasko again?
Worse when you level up, no point in gearing, maybe no point in playing the game at all? And they said gear will matter again.
If scaling does really work like that, it sounds pretty much heavily broken.
It's not based on base health, it's based on the ilevel of your gear and the gear in your bags vs the ilevel of their gear and the gear in their bags.

If you take off everything except azerite, weapons, trinkets and put it all in void storage, you get the 30% damage boost and damage reduction while also getting the process from trinkets weapons and azerite, making you more powerful than if you were 340

Super.
29/08/2018 08:59Posted by Kadis
I tested this yesterday

LMFAOOOOO i need to try this, 20k bleeds incoming
Someone should post this broken system on US forums since there are no mention of this on US forums.

And if there is a slight chance for blizzard to read this it's on US forums. It probably wont change anything but people in US should know about this.
25/08/2018 12:33Posted by Juicÿ
is this really true?
That means you wont have to get gear, just some 300 ilvl !@#$ with best in slot stats and just go with that the whole expansion. Feels like it takes away alot from the game really.

Could just level alts and gear with bis 310 gear and never do anything more the whole expansion to get new gear...
And still compete at the highest level of pvp.

Feels like a mistake that was not intended

This is wonderful. I only play arena and I don't bother with dungeons or raids so this is perfect, I don't have to do content I don't want to just to be able to compete in arena.
So what all this means is I can basically jump into Dragonsoul, get full set, put rest of my items into void storage and I'll perform better than with my current gear?
29/08/2018 12:10Posted by Hachi
So what all this means is I can basically jump into Dragonsoul, get full set, put rest of my items into void storage and I'll perform better than with my current gear?

Looks like thats whats happening,yes. LMFAO.
29/08/2018 12:10Posted by Hachi

It seems like it, and if it really is, then they do not deserve to make that much money.A poor indie company would be less clumsy then this so-called ''AAA-Gaming Company''.

14+ years developing the game and it's where we end up.
If you think that this scaling is a bad thing then you must be one of the people that want to have an advantage in competitive PvP purely from slaying dragons. This system is amazing and by far the best solution that Blizzard has come up with so far in making arenas and RBGs fair.