Religion diversity in WoW

Priests, Paladins, and the Light-theme of wow seems to be very christocentric with christian symbolism, crusaders/templars, etc.

I think, if you hold diversity as an actual value, and you’re not just virtue signaling to look good, you should either change the symbols to something neutral.

Edit: TLDR is that I think blizzard should reevaluate their priorities and remove real life direct culture references and religion from their game, or have real diversity without painting dehumanizing caricatures of other cultures

5 Likes

I’m years ahead on this.

6 Likes

nice bait but you can worship the light in spaceship with flying goats. keep your stupid bait post out of this game and forum

46 Likes

While I agree that the whole Light worship definitely has a somewhat christian vibe to it, the only mainstream christian symbol I can think of would be a cross, and I don’t think there’s any decorations, sculptures or spells that has it?

2 Likes

The people in the cathedral have been called arch-bishop etc. since vanilla. Paladins as templars have very clear christian crusader symbolism. The Light theme in wow is definitely focused around christianity, there’s no doubt I’d say.

Argent Dawn is basically the spanish inquisition symbolically, and it’s obvious. Google “jesuites”, etc.

1 Like

hes just clutching at straws …medieval looking structure with pointy roofs=cHrIsTiAniTy

meanwhile christianity :

also notice theres always across or religious symbolism marking its a church.

7 Likes

arent goblins religious rapresentatives of the… :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

10 Likes

of the capitalism :wink: yes

8 Likes

Why does it bother you that a game designed in the west, promoted and run by a west company, has west symbolism and representation as major factor in their west game?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/Prevailing_religious_population_by_country_percentage.svg

It is a game coming from the USA and as you can see on the wikipedia (wikimedia) image, Christian religion is still the most populated Religion worldwide.

The “Church of Holy Light” is a fictional religion inspired by Christianity. Not even the so proclaimed “Cross” is the same.
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/wowpedia/images/2/2e/Scarlet_Crusade_flag.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/250?cb=20180806013916

Just saying.

11 Likes

Because not only christian americans should be included in wow. It’s also very questionnable, that the people in the cathedral of wow are all white npcs.

2 Likes

but its true the sw cathedral is a gothic cathedral (spain\france). Its weird they never give to any class a different religious representation (ok orc\tauren ahve a shamanistic vibe but other not.

1 Like

Ah yes, Mists of Pandaria, peak Western culture right there.

Stop making excuses, you’re fine with all cultures except one. I know it, you know it, we all know it.

thats your bias speaking ;s

its a church of light

naaru being the gods

end of thread

mods close this troll

8 Likes

It was just Kung Fu panda, not actual asian representation

1 Like

Tabouret is back, Huray!

I’ve never left. I usually post with my forum toon, Slapface.

1 Like

So you´re Slapface?

of course I meant that!

Indeed, I am.

Let’s not forget that there are massive pagan infuences as well. As in druids. Druidism. And lots and lots of nature worship. Moon worship anyone?

4 Likes