🛡 [RP Project] Stormwind Community Lawbook

Global warming in Azeroth can be blamed by all the farting Tauren, I hear they have two stomachs and contribute alot to Co2 emissions, death to the Tauren.

In more serious words, like it? Join the discussion.
Not interested or not liking it? Simply discard it, I feel like the thread
personally has a lot unneeded animosity.
In the end of the day we all have different takes/approaches to this hobby , so just eat your own cereal!

3 Likes

100%, opt in stuff shouldnt receive this kinda response imo, opt in if you want, dont if you dont wish to, guards have made it clear they wont be blacklisting/ignoring people who wish to do things differently than the Lawbook, which imo already puts them a level above any previous guard guild that had a lawbook attempt or not, and those guard guilds used to get hella support, lets not forget, those blacklists were supported back in the day by the “wider” community of SW, this is the entire opposite approach, so really bizarre that some people are super against a group/community building their own thing to help make meaningful rp with people they engage?

1 Like

I like the idea as much as I do your transom outfit; initiatives like this can bring the community together.

Is there space for lawbreaking characters? This is with the understanding that consequences must be suffered without squirming out of them via OOC tomfoolery, btw, but I thought I’d check if it’s ok before joining the discord.

From my knowledge everyone wishing to engage is free to join, and yes about time criminals got some consequences that wasnt just “stay here in this cell for the next week, dont use this alt for a week okay?”

Yes, of course and always!
What is the point of making a lawbook just by one side of cops and robbers roleplay?

Guard rp just as criminal rp are equally worth it and should equally be respected.

To give another idea of this approach but without taking lawbook into consideration is this:

Imagine we, guards, learn about some mmm criminal organization (which is another guild
A community to try and build quality rp around crime rp just as guards with their law rp). If we want to raid their place, do searches and arrest people, we could -try-. But it can and will lead to drama because it feels more like a random gank and power move. Just because we rp guards, doesnt make us actual guards of wow rp.

So we would contact them oocly and arrange an event between two guilds for both parties to have fun and minimize drama.

Upd:
I thinks its also fair to state that people can throw in suggestions here without having to dedicate to the project even if that means to join a discord. Ill update first post with this note and also some examples of a lawbook plus lawbook itself.

Another example that is actually taken from what happened is Grey Maisons / Silver ash guild. Whek Silver Ash guild was disbanded and most memebers gathered and made Grey Maisons under new leadership, we dropped our cases to pursue characters of this new guild. Simply because we didnt want to gatekeep, powerplay or gank a guild that tries to establish itself under new leadership with different views and approach. They should not suffer for the deeds or choises done by a previous guild under old leadership. But its just an example to say. Im not saying this to apraise TKF. Im saying that we want a good and enjoyable cops and robbers rp.

2 Likes

the lawbook concept is cool in my opinion, plus it isn’t forced, so i think it’s a cool idea

3 Likes

Agreed as a Guard guild it makes no sense to stifle the growth of criminal guilds, they need eachother for long term rp, co-operation on an OOC level should always be encouraged where these two niches are concerned imagine a Guard guild finally tramples out/squashes a gang? what now?, or for any guild/individual for that matter regarding OOC co-operation.

Based on numerous questions and concerns, I’ve updated OP, where extra information has been provided to ensure that it is not lost in almost 200 hundred messages between OP and this post! I hope this helps a lot!

1 Like

No, we must all eat the same cereal!!

1 Like

My grandfather…had a dream! voice cracks Where people could choose their cereal, and then other people could choose other cereal. He didn’t hike 50 miles uphill after the Second War so you maniacs could start mixing cereals!

4 Likes

Good luck.

2 Likes

Thank you!
Based on numerous concerns that were raised in this thread, Lawbook was a bit updated, to provide more clearance and highlight the point of it being as an optional material.

3 Likes

Here’s to xing fingers that it resonates through and avoids further cycles of confusion by being totally misinterpreted :+1:

3 Likes

Thank you as well and aye.
Yesterday one of the people was kind enough to help further bring paraphrasing over some lines and points to make document more easier to read and understand :slight_smile:

2 Likes

An interesting idea, Stormblade!
I’ve read through some of the points made already and agree with how a player-written lawbook should serve as more of a guideline than a tool to be enforced if implemented. I mean so far in my experience, good guard RP stems from mutual respect between law-enforcers and criminals. It’s a bit of a dance; a relationship of yin and yang where one cannot really exist without the other. (I love it)
For instance, meta gaming, power-emoting and throwing people in the stockades over petty crime doesn’t lead to very enjoyable RP on either side even if the guard thinks they get away with a huge W as long as “justice has been served”. Just as stealth RP where a rogue somehow teleports away after being caught is extremely dull even if the criminal thinks they’ve claimed a supposed win as long as they escape. No matter which side you’re on… I really think there’s a limit to how much the means justify the end.

Now! The best way to avoid that (on side of the law at least) is for new guards to learn from their peers who in turn keep these pitfalls in mind as they roam the streets of SW. That of course means that there’s some responsiblity resting on the shoulders of us experienced ones to make good judgement calls since they become precedents that the new ones will take after and refer to; or even treat as being part of the law to some extent. One example being how a “King’s bath” became an alternative form of punishment over the Stocks that within the Third still see some use today but rarely outside of it. Just because putting people in jail leaves them with nothing to do until they’re released and someone came up with this idea in the spirit of being more fun.

That said, having a few established guidelines to refer to might put a new guard into the right mindset from day 1… and perhaps even out the severity of punishments dished out for the same crime across guilds and players. Although, it’s very difficult to say beforehand how effective it’d be.

5 Likes

Yep, thats all been discussed since the start in the disc, alternative punishments other than just locking people up, theres legit loooooads of alternatives that people have come up with and several guilds who will assist with community service type stuff, OOC communication between criminal guilds already involved in the project and the guards, and again no enforcement, the lawbook isnt forced on anyone

2 Likes

Exactly and thank you! That’s the gist. Just because RPer puts a Guard uniform, doesn’t make them actual guard on an OOC side either and vice versa. OOCly, we’re all equal and are here to have fun and RP. It’s like taking a seat behind a DnD game.

Yeah, exactly :slight_smile: Criminal guilds that use public establishments as a cover up, can opt in for offering places for criminals that went for a community service. Which can be a good way to expand criminal network and so forth. Or shops that can use free labor force to move crates around, repair / improve plants and so forth. There are many ideas flying around on how things like Penal service or Community service can be used that it comes soon with a “High demand” for criminal RPers who might enjoy it :joy:

2 Likes

It’s good to remember that a book of laws should just be a tool for roleplay.

The big mistake of previous attempts, though the Stormwind City Watch often had a good take on this, was that guards tried to use it as their guidebook.
In essence though, it should be an inspiration for crime roleplayers, not so much the guards. Crime RPers should be able to read it and find ways to break the law, find fun ways the guards would be on to them.

An example: We all know stealing and fighting is against the law. But what about selling rat-kebob? Let’s make that illegal as well, boom, you might’ve just inspired a poor gnome with an affinity for rat catching to do some openly illegal stuff. Or how about a law against stealing the planks from the King’s canal docks? You could just call it stealing, but that’s hardly inspiring, and the guard RPers may not even react to it even if they see you do it.
Selling underwear with the King’s face on it … chopping down trees in the city … yelling profanity … not wearing pants in public … a very specific list of contraband … talking bad about the Light in cathedral square whatever could inspire a crime RPer.

I know that isn’t the ‘professional’ way to do it. Your book of laws will not be an easy tool to work with for the guards, who’ll have to know these laws at least a bit. But if you publish it, actively use it, you might eventually encounter crime RPers who’re fun to play with and want to play cat-and-mouse with the guards, instead of the people who don’t even want guards meddling with their crime RP.

3 Likes

That is the point. More over its an optional one and shouldnt be forced.

Oh? Could you elaborate? Because TKF aims to use this book even tho adhere to it to keep cohesion and consistency for as long as all parties involved are okay and opt in for its use/reference.

Funnily enough, we have been discussing this recently and its a bit of a 50/50. While doing a mention of something funny can bring and encourage funny rp, it also have downsides. Like extending book by far than 3 pages, where initial idea is to keep it as compacted as possible.

On the contrary, as a result of these debates we came in to including such things as desecration, vandalism and counterfeiting. And those can encourage for giving a reason for people to try out and create equally interesting scenarios! Like a gnome that invented a machine to duplicate coins, duplicates of which are obviously fake. Then going around, buying all sorts of stuff!

Its hard to strike a balance but so far it was maintained :slight_smile:

1 Like