Shadowlands dead on arrival?

I will most likely be picking necrolord for the class ability because I find it to be most useful overal in what I do. Except I absolutely hate the aesthetics and what they are. I’d much rather pick venthyr for that, but I hate their ability. These are my two choices since kyrian and night fae don’t interest me in either. So my two choices are hate the gameplay and love the aesthetics or hate the aesthetics and love the gameplay. I’ll be choosing necrolord because I value the fun of my class over aesthetics, but this choice should never be put upon anybody in a video game. These choices should be different, but none of them should be wrong. I am choosing between two wrong options.

8 Likes

this is pretty much it, unless they let you freely switch in raid, and not having to go to the covenant for it, I realy hope they keep it so you cant change, becuse the most annoying thing is having to wait for half the raid, or your self having to go change for one boss and then back, that would just be realy bad.

I hope they just turn it off for end game content instead of making it swapable

At the moment with how its looking and you want to collect the armour transmogs you are going to have to lvl 16 characters 4x cloth, 4x plate, 4x mail & 4x Leather…

To me that’s an awful lot why not let the characters just experience the full amount of all covenents if they want that way we would only have to lvl and maintain 4 characters, THAT’s my biggest concern x.x

yeah thats sounds like a great idea remove all of the end game content that keeps most of the player base playing, that would definately help the sub numbers,

everyone seems to think that they are doing everything they can to keep people playing as much as possible and make them keep paying their subs, do you think that removing the endgame content from the game would fulfil that

Just remove covenant abilities, have them be a purely cosmetic reputation.

Enough with the rental powers, i dont want an artifact, or a necklace, or a legendary cloak, or a power amulet.

No rental powers, no rental abilities, no empowering gear by grinding a currency, no nothing. Just let us play our characters.

16 Likes

I quite like the permanency of the choice.

Like race or class, those are meaningful choices to me. They feel personal and driven by identity.
My talent choices? Not so much. Those are often changed based on circumstance.

I think the challenge with the Covenant choice is that it’s a package choice.
You’re trying to compare apples to oranges. Do I want the cool transmogrification set from the Kyrian, or do I want the useful ability from the Night Fae? That’s a difficult choice.

But once you commit to a Covenant, then it’s a meaningful decision. It’ll shape your game experience, and rather than the character just being a character, it’ll be your character, because you’ll have committed to something which will be different from what some other players choose to commit to.

Less similarity, more individuality.

4 Likes

i didnt realise that end game content was dependant on those extras.
I thought they could balance around not using them.

Guess I was wrong because Barry said so.

Not like in PvP they changed abilities before or anything.

2 Likes

not at all, all of the endgame content is balanced around the fact that people will have access to the “BiS” covenants and soulbinds/conduits, and legendaries, as it has been forever,

take BFA for example, ny’alotha was balanced around guilds spending hundreds of millions of gold on corruption gear in order to get every little bit of damage out of their classes, if they hadnt spent that gold they would have taken weeks longer to clear it, because they would be reliant on a purely RNG system to get to best gear

even back in WoD guilds were transferring characters to other servers and clearing out auction houses of mats and the black market auction house of gear

but if they turned it off before launch they could still balance it around not having them.
So nothing really changes for end game.

other than the fact that people who take it serious are currently seeing like they will have to level 4 of the same class so that they have access to everything, it changes a lot

it gives people the option to just make the correct choice and have fun, rather than having to level, gear and set up 4 of the same class

Nah, technically we are alive in the Maw and that makes us very special.

4 Likes

make it not swapable but have no effects in raids means you wont have to go through 4 of them.
You will always have the best one because it doesn’t affect you.

I thought it was that we get to leave the maw that made us special

so the entire cornerstone system of the expansion and something we will spend weeks grinding for would not even be useful in the end game content we are playing the game for, do you even understand how this game works?

the way i see it there is 2 options, they either leave it as it is now on beta and never make any balance changes, or they just free up the class abilities so that we can swap between them and give people the option to play the game the way they want to

as i have stated repeatedly i have no intention of changing covenants all the time, i just think that the player power should not be locked behind something that refusing us the chance to change should we want to, even just for fun. i would love to be able to spec into the night fae/kyrian abilities to play around with them in torghast, but im just being told im not allowed to

in a way in which there are many end game styles.
Just because its not worth the grind for yours doesn’t make it useless.

People should just pick the covenant they like the look because of theme/mount ect.

It’s not going to matter for the majority of the player base and they can just pick what they like. Even though they will just read online guides and pick the one the guide tells them, but then it’s their own fault they are stuck with a covenant they may not want in the future after buffs/nerfs because they should have picked for aesthetics and rewards instead of trying to get the best DPS they likely won’t even need for the content they do.

2 Likes

That’s not going to be the case for everyone though, are you a mount collector? 4 Classes easy peasy, but are you a transmog collector… ooof 16 classes to lvl

Why don’t they just revamp the talent tree, make it similar to artifact system and stop adding these complex systems that will go away and then return as something ‘else’ in next expansion?
At least with revamped talent system you don’t have to grind AP, be unable to change at will, etc.
Covenants should purely be a cosmetic choice.
IMO Covenants should change color of your abilities, give some cosmetic rewards etc.

too many players playing normal raids and mthic +4 think they need the meta to play the game well.
Of course thats just not true. But try getting into a pug without it.
People are strange.