Shadowlands - worst lore of all time

You’ve a good taste.

Tbh the double whammy of BfA and SL was probably the hardest to swallow, for people who actually like the character.

You know you’re in trouble, when Shandris is the highlight…

Sylvanas was put on ice. She is not dead.

Worst part of Shadowlands is that it undoes a lot of previous lore. I’m not a fan of Zovaal being behind so many things out of no-where only for him to fail and give us that lame dying message… :yawning_face:

I’m still convinced the Primus was originally intended to be the mastermind behind everything but they scrapped it or something. Wouldn’t have saved it but would’ve been more interesting imo.

2 Likes

I still find it kinda funny that the setup didn’t even relly acknowledge the “There must always be a Lich King”-thing that was supposed to swarm Azeroth with the Scourge, if the LK was removed. Did the Scourge maraude the world for 2 years like the Kyrian-quest in Lakeshire suggested? Was the threat neutralized by Scourge-Lords just taking over, once the LK was gone, like the recent Blood Elf quests suggested? Either way, it doesn’t seem to have been that much of a thing now, does it?

1 Like

Many lore arcs in the history of this game weren’t retconned so much as they were forgotten and ignored. Random little quests away from major hubs, conflicts which remain unresolved, etc.

I hope that all of SL ends up that way.

Kinda, but that’d pretty much require them to never touch on the issue of life after death again, which isn’t a small ask for a high fantasy-setting…

But we already know they aren’t doing that anyways. The Ardenweald-plot is still moving on, and I highly doubt that they’ll leave Anduin, whose arc is now firmly tied to the Shadowlands, on the bench forever. I even expect them to bring back Sylvanas at some point, whyever anyone would want that… They have shown no hesitation about reminding us of the Shadowlands, they have just shifted focus to a different, simpler plot.

1 Like

I like the First Ones Lore. Even Odyn mentions them. If they ever show up again I am sure they would be our new titans we get quests from to save reality from the void lords.

what shadowlands really missed out about lore is why we as players can ress why we are immortal and cant really die if we dont want …big waste of potencial and i belive that true killer of wow.

1 Like

I don’t really think this needs an explanation. It’s like how people say “we’ve defeated every major threat” as though their characters personally fought all of these bad guys and threats. Some things are exclusively in there for gameplay and having the spirit resser is just to stay in line with the aesthetic.

If YOUR character dies in the lore, they’re gone. No spirit canonical resurrection.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of it, but actually there are. The spirit healsers that bring back heroes that died before their time are actually canon. And those were connected to the Kyrians, who also have quests where they judge not to take souls to the Shadowlands, to have them keep on doing heroics in life.

See the world quest limbo:

Mantid Warrior says: I am a commander of a battalion. A necromancer has wreaked havoc in my home, raising my soldiers to fight each other. I must have my revenge, but I fell in battle due to my foolishness.

Return to Life (correct)

Watcher Jacintha says: This warrior was allowed to return to life, and he ended up defeating and killing the necromancer. If we had taken this warrior to Oribos, the necromancer would have continued disrupting the balance of life and death in that world.

Pass to Shadowlands (wrong)

Watcher Jacintha says: Some soldiers may die to their foolishness, but not this one. We allowed him to return and he killed the necromancer, who was upsetting the balance of life and death.

The logic of this world quest is kind of shaky. First of all it’s called limbo, which refers to it being the inbetween and granted the context of how you apparently determine whether they come back from otherwise certain death, it’s more comparable to a carcrash where someone survives in spite of them having been clinically dead for a couple of minutes.

Either way, I wouldn’t really apply this to every single player character, in the same way I wouldn’t apply completing every raid to every player character.

Not every character, but any character, I’d say.

Yes, possibly.

I think main reason why Sl was bad (personal take) was that, they took bunch of ‘mysteries’ from wow lore and tried to tie it to Sl to explain them in a story, and then tried to portray it as: A story that’s been building up for many years

Want several examples?

For years emerald dream was a mystery for the most part, in legion we saw that dragons of nightmare were there after being killed, same for several druids and ancients…In bfa there was a side quest where you had to hepl a red dragon essentially sanctifty the bones of a red dragon, and quite, send it’s soul to emerald dream.

Comes Sl: So there’s this blue emerald dream in the death realm…Where all the nature souls go…actually…but they do come back!

Another example? Concept of angels. In lore humans DID have angels in the past itterations, later down the lines it was explained as: they mixed naarus for angels.

Comes Sl: Yes, angels are from the DEATH realm which was previously described as a place of decay.

Another example? Lich King used maldraxxus for courge…

Another example? Helm of dominatiion was tied to this long lost realm of death and this grand evil who’s been doing plans for 509237480972304992342094 years

Another example? Nathrezim (while I love their lore and looks I think it was an overkill) have been created here and mastermind plans of invading EVERY GODS PANTHEON and remained undetected, none of these power hungry horned boys were ever tempted to betray or gave anything away x’D

Don’t even get me started on the smaller bits of lore! Like: Elune’s priestesses use arcane magic during funeral rights (that’s cannon now)

Not only most of these changes damaged the past lore, but it also majorly wounded the future lore (especially the zereth mortis arc). Emerald Dream now feels like a bellow version of Ardenweald, light’s realm and angels do not feel important at all, because everyone goes through death first and it’s angels.

Not to mention now we know that all of the titans, life lords, void lords are basically 3D printed robots x’D which makes it really hard to take them as seriously as before.

I agree that it damaged more than it did good to unveil mysteries. Especially considering the scope of many of the unveiled mysteries. Makes me hope they’ll never reveal Elune beyond what they already have.

1 Like

They already did sadly :confused: In the campaign quest, we literally know where she is and who she is now >.>

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.