Some advice and tips would be appreciated!

Good evening, fine folks of Argent Dawn.
I’m a completely new player that just started his WoW journey around 2 1/2 weeks ago. Was, for one reason or another, never too interested in WoW in itself until I kinda pushed myself to simply try it out… and what a blast it has been already!

Long story short - I’m a roleplayer for around 13 years now and while I usually prefer paragraph RP with lots of detail, the smaller sized bits in WoW that I dabbled in so far, has been fun as well.

I do not want to step on anyones toes however and being new to the game as well as to it’s RP, I figured I’d ask you fine folk if there are any tips, any advice that you could give me? Last thing I’d want is to ruin someones experience.

I will kickstart it off with a few questions I have on my mind and hope they are alright to ask.

1. With Shadowlands being out… what is the status when it comes to RP? Do we all simply go into the Shadowlands and return whenever we want? Is Shadowlands primarily avoided? It would seem that the whole concept of a “chosen” mortal going there, doesn’t lend itself to RP where dozens of others are the “chosen” one too.

2. Are there any “hotspots” on horde side that I should know about? Or perhaps avoid? I clearly want nothing to do with anything like Goldshire. Here to RP my character and while romance CAN be fair game if it somehow gets to it, I do not want to partake in anything sexual whatsoever. Any way to tell if that is all a player wants so I can avoid that?

3. PCU: Not going to lie. The last two days I’ve been reading up on a lot of what PCU is, some of those HUGE discussion topics and all the drama involved from both sides. I don’t care for the drama nor about what any one person says. I rather form my own opinion. I do wish to know however, how easy it is to get in hold with others from PCU, if there are still regular events and if there is a discord one could join? I’m all for people banding together to tell grand stories and help each other out.

4. OOC Chatter: I read the thread about how to RP and all and one thing I noticed was the huge dislike for anything OOC chatter and that it should be kept to whisper/party chat. Coming from another background, I cannot wrap my head around why it’s so hated. Of course, I will adhere to it and not do it but I figured I’d ask why people think that way to better understand it. I personally would find it easier if I RP with 5 people, for example, to simply add (Skip me. AFK for 10min) at the end of my post then to whisper every individual. Amounts to the same in the end except the latter is more work. I’m sorry for my ignorance in that matter and hope you can help me understand.

With that said… I’m looking forward to meeting you all in RP eventually and hope that I can contribute to some fun times for everyone involved, eventually. Thank you in advance for helping someone new out, if you choose to answer some of my questions and perhaps give some advice! I hope you all have a wonderful evening~

6 Likes

This will be a heavily contested topic in the coming months, but if you choose to RP in the Shadowlands, then the Ebon Blade portals are entirely canon. Any character, whether they be Ol’ Emma looking for her sons; Dezco searching for his wife; or Griftah trading trinkets, can step through the portal to Oribos and explore the city as they choose. Thanks to The Brokers, it’s become something of an inter-dimensional trade hotspot, so traders, adventurers and tourists are equally welcome.

Entering the covenant zones themselves? The lore isn’t all that clear; especially since we don’t see any mortals in the zones besides our player characters. We will likely get an answer in the coming patches, but I’d imagine it to be possible should the Keepers want to give your character a ride on the magical space worm between dimensions.

As for the average RPers? They likely won’t be going into the Shadowlands, because understandably, acknowledging the afterlife in RP can be scary. I imagine we will have an expansion lifespan that’ll be focused primarily on Azeroth, but my guild is going to the Shadowlands - and you can too. If anyone questions it, just direct them towards the little old lady that was allowed through the portal. Since we don’t know yet what makes one a “Maw Walker”, I’d say steer clear of the Maw for now until we know just how common a Maw Walker is. Or don’t. You’ll find that Argent Dawn has gotten a lot less lore-policey lately; if you wanna do some RP that’s a little lore dubious, nobody’s stopping you so long as you stick to your group.

2 Likes

some people use it, some don’t. You don’t need to be The Chosen Hero to visit there, that’s only for leaving the Maw. You can just grab a portal to Oribos and go support a covenant if you want.

Valley of Honour is the place to go for casual Horde RP, Silvermoon’s Bazaar is the Horde’s goldshire (albeit outright comatose nowadays, to the best of my knowledge)

Very easy, yes there are, and yes there is.

There should be some contact details in the opening post of this thread:

On top of that, the drama is extremely easy to just not get involved with.

1. It’s simply WoW’s rules for an RP server
  2. I can’t even begin to count the amount of times I’ve seen a single OOC comment turn into an hour-long OOC conversation that basically just held all the RP around it hostage
  3. It just breaks immersion

These are the first reasons to come to mind.

I think most of the time people won’t complain if it’s something extremely minor like this. The rightful dislike is more centered on people having full OOC conversations.

Likewise! Hope I’ve been helpful.

2 Likes

That is understandable. If it’s something major and outright immersion-breaking then you should use party chat/discord or whatever else is available. If I’d use it, and I will try not to, it would only be for very minor things like the example I gave.

Very much so. Thank you for taking the time to respond! Will make it a bit easier to get into the fray of things, so to speak. Also quite glad that Silvermoon’s Bazaar died out. No need for that in WoW

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.