Spice Bread Recipe

Correct, but it’s HotS so idk how “canon” it is.

Everyone calls me Chromie, but my real name is Chronormu. Huh? No, it is not a male name. You clearly don’t understand the intricacies of dragon culture.

source: https://heroesofthestorm.fandom.com/wiki/Chromie/Quotes

1 Like

So what will happen if I call her a “she” by referring the appearence she takes on while being in gnome form? Who cares

2 Likes

Plus I don’t care. I don’t trust her (I have my reasons.)

2 Likes

Everyone has always used “she/her” pronouns, so it’s weird to suddenly use “he/him” and shows when people are triggered by the idea of trans people existing “bEcAuSe BiOlOgY” or something.

2 Likes

just found out and find it interesting,

honestly i dont even notice what i use sorry.

Bonepicker, im not here to pick a fight since i see you are a strong advocate for such things.

Here we go again

11 Likes

I’m going to thread carefully here… :footprints: :footprints:

I am completely on-board with Blizzard’s desire to represent broader diversity in their games for the simple reason that I think it can enrich the story told and make it more appealing and identifiable to myself and others.

However, the premise for that appreciation hinges on the fact that the implementation is good.

And it does seem as if Blizzard are forcing the point sometimes, in ways that isn’t exactly eloquent.

There was questline in Azsuna in Legion where you had to help a female Night Elf find her companion and it turns out to be another female Night Elf. And that was just a nice story on its own and it’s obviously memorable because of the little twist. The point about diversity and representation isn’t forced at all and it appears completely normal and natural within the game.
Well-executed design and a good example of doing it in a way where it enriches the story and gameplay experience. I loved it.

Tracer and Soldier 76 in Overwatch? Great examples as well. It works.

But then there are examples like Chromie where it feels like an afterthought and the goal isn’t to create interesting gameplay or a cool story – it’s just to force more diversity and representation for the sake of it. And that I don’t like. That’s not well-executed design.

Shadowlands has its fair share of it as well. The Ardenweald campaign with The Night Warrior Thiernax and his husband Kadarin, who have chosen a unicorn and a stag form in their afterlives, and who repeatedly insists on telling you – in detail – that they are in fact together and lovers and a couple and male. The whole Night Warrior business? More of an afterthought to Kadarin noting that Thiernax is stubborn – but he still loves him and they died together and now live in the afterlife together. Happy. Together. Male. Lovers. Animals. Get it? Get it?
That’s not well-executed design either. It doesn’t make for a well-told story. It just makes it feel as if the political point gets shoved down my throat to the degree where the game is all but yelling at me: HOMOSEXUALITY IS NORMAL! GET IT!! GEEEEET IT?!!
And that feels a bit excessive and too much.

I really like what Blizzard are trying to achieve, but far too often they’re not very good at pulling it off in a satisfying way that enriches the game(s).

And Chromie is another example of not doing it properly.

:rainbow: :heart:

22 Likes

Oh, sorry i didnt know there was such a thread my bad

Gay and trans people exist without having a good story as well. Why should the implementation be good and can’t just be there? It feels like you’re saying that gay and trans people may only exist in games if their story is good and they are not too open about it. Some people are vocal about being gay, even if it’s just to normalize being so, why can’t in-game characters be like that?

2 Likes

Nah it’s an old thread. Wasn’t hard for me to find though (considering it’s my most liked reply ever).

2 Likes

Its little adjustments like these…I understand representation is important, others are very likely going to agree just like how I, a non-book reader doesn’t even like the flynn/shaw relationship still either. Because its so half-arsed / half finished / the execution is painfully cringe and or involves you having to read a book which tries to justify or clarify a turn of events.

I understand America is a very torn country but its not enriching the game enough to be happy seeing the change cause its never done well.

6 Likes

Because adding LGBT characters with 0 effort and having their sexuality be their one defining personality trait is just insulting tokenism imo.

18 Likes

I’m going to tread even more carefully now. :blush:

I absolutely think Blizzard should increase – demonstrably by force – the representation of diversity in their games, including WoW.
No buts or ifs – they should just do that. And I note that they are in the process of doing it, so that’s great.

However, my subjective experience of the game does hinge upon how good Blizzard are at implementing this increased representation of diversity, because it is inevitably a change from how the game used to be (not having a focus on diversity) to how it will be (having a focus on diversity).

And my point is merely that Blizzard don’t seem to pull this implementation off very well most of the time.

And it’s not to single the issue out. I gladly criticize bad writing for other reasons as well.
Take Grommash Hellscream in Warlords of Draenor. Terrible writing for reasons to do with his character development.
“We will be conquerors! …Draenor is free!!”
…Wut?! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
So Blizzard are obviously criticized on that parameter, that they’re sometimes not very good at fleshing out a character’s motivations and behaviors.

And in this case it’s just a matter of – for me – criticizing Blizzard for bad writing for the reason that the point about diversity isn’t told in a satisfying manner.
They can do better, just as they can do better with story elsewhere for other reasons (like Grommash Hellscream in Warlords of Draenor).

Hopefully that explains it a bit better. :upside_down_face:

I’m not saying that Blizzard can only add diversity to their games if they do it in a way that I like.
I’m saying that if they do it in a way that I don’t like, then I will criticize them for it, just as I will criticize them any other time they write a bad storyline for one reason or another.

10 Likes

This was just like J.K. Rowlings way of later on diversifying her already fleshed out stories.

Lazy and rude.

4 Likes

Good thing it’s never 0 effort, and good thing sexuality is never their defining trait.

Either I’m too happy to see representation, or I’m being realistic when saying that the implementations are just fine as they are. Not once have I been bothered by any of them, nor have my friends. In fact, there was joy among my friends when they found out and they love the story lines, especially the Night Fae one.

As LGBTQ+ is not a single hivemind, you’re entitled to your opinion about that. I’m pretty sure there are gay people who don’t like the stories because it puts them in a spotlight. Just one question though, are you LGBTQ+? The way you talk about the implementation makes me feel like you don’t really feel like you need the representation, or don’t really care that much. Pretty much all LGBTQ+ folks I know in WoW were very happy with it, including random posts online.

Considering JKR is a transphobe, I’m going to disagree with this, she’d have probably done the exact opposite and doubled down on Chromie wanting to have he/him pronouns despite being a woman.

1 Like

Why should they? What if they just don’t? In what way will the game become better if they do it?

8 Likes

Ngl I would be lying if I said I was anyhow interested in these matters, but the flipflopping just gets on my nerves. Same with politicians/media influencers.

Good thing that Blizzard isn’t flipflopping around this then :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

We’ll see.

I can at least remember 4 flipflops from most recent Blizzcon, regarding Classic TBC.
Let’s hope it doesn’t affect other departments. :wink:

Oh sure, it’s entirely subjective. I have lots of disagreements with people about story all the time. There are many cases where I think Blizzard are writing a stellar storyline (Sylvanas) and then lots of other people think I’m wrong and that it is in fact terrible writing.
Story is always going to be a bunch of purely subjective and individual opinions, and we all obviously voice them as such.

For me it adds the same to my gameplay experience as a new race or faction would. It expands on what WoW is and therefore adds more interesting story opportunities.
Beyond that I don’t personally get more out of it. I am not drawn to a game for the way it reflects real-life or my way of living.
However, I do play games with others and I want the games I play to be played by all kinds of people – because they directly enrich my gameplay experience.
So whatever other people want in gaming to feel more drawn into it and welcomed, that’s something I support (so long as it doesn’t go against my own interests), because I want to play with lots of other people.

Answer above. :arrow_heading_up: :slight_smile:

1 Like