Stuttering even with good FPS

For over a few months now wow has been stuttering every few seconds no matter how many times ive updated drivers or gone back or changed graphics settings played in dx12 or 11 no change what so ever.

So i started to do some deep dig googling and forum diving and found this post. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20759627997?page=2

At the end the player also suffering from a similar issue says that changing back to full screen mode fixed his issue completely.

Problem is Blizzard in the Infinite wisdom decided a year or so ago now to remove full screen mode for Window and Fullscreen Window. Ironically this is around the same time the problem started i believe. I also notice sometimes they game will randomly “catch up” on its self and my camera will spin around fast.

What happened to bringing back Fullscreen mode and if it fixed the issue for this guy and many others 2 years ago how are we meant to fix it now. am i just stuck forever with 10 - 20 second stutters.

would like a green poster or blue poster to give me an explanation.
because https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20759627997?page=2 this post helped me in the same way it helped the OP who asked. only issue is i dont have the luxury of full screen mode in 2019…

6 Likes

Then the forum search tool is going to be your friend. The blues have already explained the decisions, repeatedly, ad-nauseaum, in the past.

Did you read my post at all or just like being a forum troll?

I said i know why but it clearly has solved the issues for people in the past and is now no fix for it.

And im stuck with a jank game because of it.

Just because someone explains why they are doing something doesnt make it correct or right as a decision.

4 Likes

What’s your hardware? Fullscreen isn’t a magic solution and the game should run just fine without it as it does on average to people right now.

gtx1080
16gb ram
Running of a PCI drive And SSD

Every other game i own and play runs fine. Been running games like Squad, FF14, Pubg on max settings getting 60+fps and 100+fps on some no stutters or slow downs other than the normal graphical Intense moments. (when wow stutters its not the FPS that is dropping either its weird)

WoW is the ONLY game i know that has regularly for me in the past several months played like garbage even from a fresh restart it just skips constantly and i know its not the whole PC because Everything else i run in the back ground to test runs fine. Its just WoW. Sometimes you get 30 seconds or of it being “fine” then just freezes for 5 seconds and comes back, other times it stutters and starts every 5 - 10 seconds. (this happens even in the middle of nowhere, you could be in a solo legacy raid and it will happen over and over)

Ive tried using Console commands to limit Load in data to important stuff only didnt work ive tried fresh installs over the months never works. I even got new internet a month back didnt help. Drivers are updated regularly and even in the past rolled back didnt work.

For some reason It just will not run smooth and since last year ive been googling every so often when i get frustrated and trying what people have done nothing works.

i find one post that had some sort of back and forth with a Green poster and it ended with the guy saying “its working great now” after putting it into fullscreen mode.

it makes me more mad that since It vanished in legion people have been asking for it back all the time and no one even seems to care on their end. it only effects some players so its not worth fixing right…

Im rambling but ive been putting up with it for months and it reached a head today because it straight froze 5 times for a good 10 seconds or so then came back. just getting ridiculous.

3 Likes

With such hardware it should “just work” so with some investigation it could get solved. Lack of native fullscreen limits SLI and Crossfire usability but those technologies are pretty much dead nowadays. With one GPU you should not get such results.

To troubleshoot this problem:

• Run latencymon - check if the system will report problems there when the game has performance spikes (if so it could indicate a driver or OS problem, to be retested on clean system install)
  • Run MS Process Explorer - check if anything in the wow.exe resource usage is out of the ordinary (slow network tracerout to server it’s talking to, I/O on the SSD, CPU/GPU/thermals/power
  • Similarly HWinfo can be used to log every sensor so they can be checked after - if any of them is out of bounds and could indicate the source of the issue.
  • If other games work fine the the overall system should be fine but you can run userbenchamark and check percentile scores of your component. Very low percentile can indicate problem. You can also try running the test during performance problems in WoW to see which percentile gets the biggest hit.
  • Are you using any addons? There could be a conflict or a bug somewhere there - worth testing out.
1 Like

Absolutely same problem. Tried everything, nothing helped…

4 Likes

I used to get stuttering, which I didn’t expect having a high end gfx card. Turned out I had the sync refresh disabled… or was it enabled. Can’t remember. If you havn"t tried it, try changing sync refresh to opposite of current setting. Sorry but not at my pc, and can’t remember exact name of setting or it’s location. But it’s somwhere in gfx settings. It’s amazing how one little setting made such a difference. From weird stutters and even 1 sec freezes, to 100% smooth.

2 Likes

Full UI reset, and switching multisample alpha test off helped me a little, had this problem but only when an npc said something, opened dungeon journal, inspecting someone etc… Its still not smooth, still getting stutters when i open up map its like 1\4 of a second freeze and its back to normal (i can crash it when i spam “m” and my fps can go as low as 10ish) oh, and im on an older driver cause with the latest ones every game stutters.

1 Like

“multisample alpha test” This, a thousand times. My game was literally unplayable regardless of graphics settings, but this solved my problem.

5 Likes