Sub-race names & templates tied to the new customization options

While I am very pleased by the Twitter response (500+ likes and 100+ shares, woah!), I also can’t help noticing that the following issues have been brought up a few times:

• Customization should not be restricted to templates.

I said this before but I will repeat it again: I agree, and nobody intends to restrict a player’s freedom of choice. 'No template’ should be the default, with all options available as in the current character creation screen.

Templates should be totally optional, while at most connected to a specific alternate demonym. Truth be told, however, the standard generic racial flag would also perfectly work. It’s just that a template needs a name and explanation of some sort in order to exist. :wink:

• Including Allied Races may be awkward due to their racials.

Indeed, I can follow the reasoning that where Allied Races with alternate racial skills are involved, it would make little sense for the player to be allowed to revert to a different template (with base racials) from the barber shop. Since racial skills should be ‘definitive’, it makes sense that when an ‘Allied Race’ is selected the barber options would be limited to those specifics as now. The main suggestion here is just visual placement within the Templates section rather than on the main screen.

On the long term, however… sure, I would personally love the option of Blizzard reworking racials to make them selectable from a pool, but I do not see it happening at this time.

• Adding Allied Races as Templates would leave Alliance one short.

The way I see it this is the main argument against the Allied Races being relocated to the customization screen as a template. But I can easily leave it for Blizzard to address and solve if/when they feel they should, as the Templates concept can still stand by itself.

Templates are nothing but a suitable quality of life feature that would nicely fit the brand new character creation UI.

Indeed, some core races may have more than others at this stage, but I can’t see that being an issue, since they would not alter the number or quality of overall options the players are being offered.

So once again - Please, Blizzard, Please! :yellow_heart:

16 Likes