Sub-race names & templates tied to the new customization options

I think that may be due to them linking/reposting it before the mockups were added in the OP?

That seems to have made quite a difference in the approval here as well.

Or, the incoming weekend. :laughing:

Probably, not too sure.

Here is the thread on the US Forums

If needing more updates, or want me to post stuff over, I can do. Just reply to this message, and I’ll be sure to keep an update for everyone.

4 Likes

I am very glad to report that the mockups created by Moira are being shared on Twitter, with tags to various influencers and even Blizzard devs. :astonished:

:crossed_fingers: Fingers crossed. :crossed_fingers:

9 Likes

Ok, I am officially nervous. :blush:

5 Likes

Don’t let you also discouraged by some comments on the US forums.

After lurking there for so long I also get a grasp on their regulars - and some of them aren’t the sharpest tools anyways, especially the female belf paladin user arguing against you for beingt a “pro helf” supporter.

3 Likes

While I am very pleased by the Twitter response (500+ likes and 100+ shares, woah!), I also can’t help noticing that the following issues have been brought up a few times:

• Customization should not be restricted to templates.

I said this before but I will repeat it again: I agree, and nobody intends to restrict a player’s freedom of choice. 'No template’ should be the default, with all options available as in the current character creation screen.

Templates should be totally optional, while at most connected to a specific alternate demonym. Truth be told, however, the standard generic racial flag would also perfectly work. It’s just that a template needs a name and explanation of some sort in order to exist. :wink:

• Including Allied Races may be awkward due to their racials.

Indeed, I can follow the reasoning that where Allied Races with alternate racial skills are involved, it would make little sense for the player to be allowed to revert to a different template (with base racials) from the barber shop. Since racial skills should be ‘definitive’, it makes sense that when an ‘Allied Race’ is selected the barber options would be limited to those specifics as now. The main suggestion here is just visual placement within the Templates section rather than on the main screen.

On the long term, however… sure, I would personally love the option of Blizzard reworking racials to make them selectable from a pool, but I do not see it happening at this time.

• Adding Allied Races as Templates would leave Alliance one short.

The way I see it this is the main argument against the Allied Races being relocated to the customization screen as a template. But I can easily leave it for Blizzard to address and solve if/when they feel they should, as the Templates concept can still stand by itself.

Templates are nothing but a suitable quality of life feature that would nicely fit the brand new character creation UI.

Indeed, some core races may have more than others at this stage, but I can’t see that being an issue, since they would not alter the number or quality of overall options the players are being offered.

So once again - Please, Blizzard, Please! :yellow_heart:

16 Likes

Wait, one short? Which race are we short off?

YESSSSSSS! :cow:

2 Likes

Number-wise, we would obviously lack nothing! :slight_smile:

But someone on Twitter has pointed out that IF Blizzard wanted to consolidate the Allied Races as templates we’d have a scenario where the Alliance has one less race on the main character creation screen due to the Vulpera using the Goblins skeleton without however being a Goblin sub-race.

Alliance Allied Races

• Void Elf —> Thalassian Elf template
    goes on the main screen since the core race belongs to the other faction
  • Kul Tiran —> Human template
  • Lightforged —> Draenei template
  • Dark Iron —> Dwarf template
  • Mechagnome —> Gnome template

Alliance Total: 4 templates, 1 extra race from the other faction.

Horde Allied Races

• Nightborne —> Night Elf template
    goes on the main screen since the core race belongs to the other faction
  • Zandalari —> Troll template
  • Highmountain —> Tauren template
  • Mag’har —> Orc template
  • Vulpera —> NOT a type of Goblin, hence main screen

Horde Total: 3 templates, 1 extra race from the other faction, 1 new race.

Personally I would not be bothered by it, but I can understand that it may ‘look bad’ or feel annoying to other people, hence I am afraid this might keep Blizzard from turning Allied Races into templates, at least for the time being.

Easily fixed the next time they add another couple of Allied Races, however - could be Gilgoblins vs something new on Ally side, for instance.

But as said before, the templates idea can still stand on its own feet regardless of the previous ARs being integrated at this time (or ever).

12 Likes

That’s easy to solve then. Just give the Alliance Sethrak and then we can call it even for both Horde and Alliance.

But now I see :thinking: Gimme a chance to think on this, because I could look at a possible solution.

4 Likes

I like this idea. I think the prerequisites for AR once an expansion is done and dusted should be removed anyway. Now that BFA is out of the way I think all AR should be removed and just merged into the core races as sub customisation options.

For example there is no Blood Elf, Void Elf, Night Elf as AR. Just the option Elf after you have picked Horde/Alliance. Then have templates for Blood, Void etc…

I think this, like you described would be much better.

2 Likes

Like you this really wouldn’t bother me. However I think your right it would rattle some peoples cages.

1 Like

Took me a while, but I have managed to put together some kind of mockup for the Trolls as well.

Since I was afraid that people might go crazy about the specific types I listed despite of just making this just to show how the templates could work, I thought I’d add Jungle Trolls, Sand Trolls, Forest Trolls, and the ever-elusive Dark Forum Trolls. :grin:

Enjoy!

https://i.ibb.co/ScJhrPN/subrace-customization-mockup-troll.jpg

17 Likes

Again, THANKS! :yellow_heart:

And awesome way to banish those nasty trolls, I am totally adding this to the first post. :smiley:

7 Likes

Much appreciated! :heart:

4 Likes

What I find most curious is what little interest and support has been showed on the US forum compared to here and on Twitter. Is the American community truly so different and much less into the Lore and RP aspects of the game? o_O

Or could it really be just because there were no images embed in the post when it was first quoted?

1 Like

Such a cool concept. Thank you for sharing.

3 Likes

Mortal fools! Stop begging for more races, what we need is a surnames.

1 Like

Although you were probably just trying to be funny, I feel responsible to point out that the suggested UI changes would serve the purpose to expand character customization WITHOUT actually adding more races.

So it’s actually very similar to asking for surnames, as it’s mostly about just adding some extra words in the UI. :wink:

(But sure, I’d love to have a surname, too!)

1 Like

Not enough people pushed the topic and we don’t have access to the US forums either. My LV12 Panda cannot even join a conversation there, otherwise I would have also brought the topic back to the top there.

2 Likes