SV, when should I leave range and go melee?

Hi, I´m playing this hunter for fun but I don´t know exactly when should I use harpoon and go melee to land my mongoose bites. I feel very squishy when I face an enemy, my traps breaks on damage and the stun is 5 sec.

Help me please !

Play another spec tbh. They made the spec melee so it can be played out of melee with no actual tools to do the job properly.

Apparently making 3 ranged specs somewhat different was too hard for this Dev team, despite mages, warlocks, rogues all having three of the same spec types.
Only physical ranged in the game yet have to lose a spec because of class fantasy… More over they copped out and have us damn BM 2.0 with a melee twist, the twist being ONE damn melee ability.

3 Likes

Junglez can you pls just reroll and stop posting garbo in our class forum, yes we know class fantasy for Surv is what BM should have been its been discussed to death.

OP, I would try seeking out Bicmex (I summon thee) our local pvp god, who plays the specc.

2 Likes

Well I summon him too !

Good luck and happy hunting with this unfinished garbage.

1 Like

hi :wave:

knowing when and how to do damage as survival can be quite tricky as it’s not as straight forward as it might seem, it’s not hard enough to be qualified as “the hardest spec/class in the game” as junglez would make you believe however

the biggest general piece of advice is to pay attention to your harpoon usage, let’s say you’re against a warlock or something that is 40 yards away from you, it’s going to take about 4 seconds to run over to him, so in that time you can do about 3-4 globals of damage

if you just harpoon > serpent sting > 2x bomb > mongoose bite spam, you’re wasting your harpoon and uptime, since you would basically do the same amount of damage as just… running to the guy pressing serpent sting > 2x bomb > mongoose bite (and if you don’t reach him after that you can always press kill command for fun or something)

doing this will allow you to have harpoon up more often, which makes it easier to harpoon > trap every time freezing trap comes off cd

sv hunters are pretty squishy if you don’t kite properly, if someone is hitting you, you have to realize that they are going to do more damage than you in a 1v1 melee range only, try using pillars, disengage, tar trap + cheetah/master’s call or even harpoon to another target if you’re desperate enough to just get away, you’re going to be surprised about how much damage you can deal while just pressing serpent sting bombs kill command and then maybe getting in melee range to do 1x mongoose bite and start kiting again (note that this obviously is not the correct way to play if you’re in no threat what so ever)

also sv hunters have many different ways of breaking their own trap, one of them being accidently sending your pet over to attack the trapped target (can happen if you’re against someone with shadowmeld/vanish/feign death or anything that makes you de-target)
your bombs can also break traps if you’re not careful enough, especially green bomb if you have a serpent sting on someone, since the little aoe explosion can be quite annoying, here is an example https://clips.twitch.tv/DeadJollyPlumageCmonBruh

also our stun is actually pretty half decent as long as you pay attention to where your pet is, and maybe saving master’s call or calling your healer to dispell your pet if he gets rooted when you need to stun a target

3 Likes

just play BM

Yeah i hate BM, but i think SV would be a little difficult for you to really get into right now. Try BM first and get a feel for how hunter as a class works. Then go SV. I mean in the end, you will only have to adapt to your main spender being melee, oh and your overly expensive melee slow that just slows. But you have your tar traps that last all of 1-2 seconds when fighting non retarded players.

But GL have fun!!!

“Surv is hard” xD

It’s not that it is hard per se. It’s just that it requires a lot of effort for what you get back in return. Some might actually call that a difficult spec to play.

It’s really not that deep bro. Bic explained the stuff above i.e pay attention to your abilities which really is HOW TO PLAY THE GAME 101 in both aspects of the game.
Hunter was never a big brain IQ class to play, still isn’t. Closest we got was Legions iteration of melee surv lmao.

So what makes the game hard for you? It’s not as if your achievements show that the game is easy. Not disrespecting just asking.

Does this not defeat the purpose of it being melee though. Especially as the only time you go melee is to press ONE ability. Literally make mongoose a shot and give concussive for clip and you have a ranged spec.

Boggles my mind they made it melee. The DMT was strong with the hunter dev team.

Closest we got (In my humble opinion not shared by 99.9% of the playerbase) was probably the greenfire lock challenge in MoP on a freshly boosted lock, primarily due to how buggy the fight was.

Games not hard, hardest you objectionally get would probably be high ranked PvP, which neither of us do as things stand, simply due to it not being AI but a real person playing.

Inb4 “Vanilla was hard!!!” crowd, weren’t hard, was tuned terribly, but not hard.

/r/nothowdrugswork

Not really, this is the case for every melee class in the game to a certain extent, they can’t be in melee range all the time without dying.
The good thing with survival is that they can sort of do damage while not being in melee range all the time.
So with this in mind, it would be pretty busted of we could preform the same amount of preasure that other melee’s do when they restricted to melee range only.

2 Likes

Are you aware that while harpooning the GCD reset and it’s insta spell? So while you running to the mob doing serpent and bomb I’m already at the mongoose spam.

Harpoon and serpent sting, bomb while energy recharge, 4 mongoose, kill command and bomb while energy recharge and normal rotation after that.

That’s his point. You have already wasted a GCD or two bombing at melee range. While you are running to your opponent you can Sting > x2 bomb and save harpoon for when they try to escape or to land a trap.

Yea in pve you should always harpoon first, even if you are going to use your ranged spells first (cause of auto attacks)

But in pvp it’s 99% of the time more beneficial to save harpoon for a crucial moment (for harpoon trap, to get away, to root a target if they’re getting close to a pillar etc) instead of just wasting it essentially for just some auto attacks.

started pvp for fun after reading your previous comment where you explained things about survival, I’m having a lot of fun even tho i’m a bit weirded out that if i want to kite a melee spec is better then a ranged one ahah. So basically thank you :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.