Terrible FPS issues since 8.3

Ever since 8.3 dropped, WoW started becoming a pain to play.
Prior the the patch I used to run raids with 50-60 FPS (Vsync on because screen tearing), running at about 6-7 on the graphic settings, outside of raid my game was on max settings.

Since 8.3 dropped so has my FPS, raiding has been killed for me. 20-30 FPS on fights with my setting nuked down to 1 on the settings, everything as low as I can.
Boss fights on pull I can sometimes freeze for over 20 seconds. (Wrathion is a the major one here). Outside I’ve had to put my settings down to 5 to keep at 60FPS, but I keep getting freezing every 20s for a few seconds. Don’t even ask me to try and fly around Stormwind, because I cant.

I honestly am at a loss as to what could have caused all this issue, since my GPU is a strong little 1060GTX, who should have zero issues with this game (runs Rust on max settings with 60FPS).

DxDiag: pastebin/fL8pYcT9

1 Like

So i see you are still running a FX CPU.
That means 50-60 FPS in a raid is totally unrealistic no matter the settings (CPU-LImit)
I would expect 30ish FPS on avg for a 20man mythic or 30man heroic raid.
It also depends on the amount of addons used and which.
If you are running alot of weakauras, check if they are causing the FPS drops.
Or just disable all addons and try, then enable one after the after until you find the one causing trouble.

It could also be an overheating issue of the CPU, those FX do throttle really early compared to Intel or modern AMD CPUs.
CPU temp for the FX should be below 75° under load.
You can check the temps with HWinfo or another app (check the max temp when raiding).

my CPU has a AIO cooler on it, peaks at 56c under load. So it’s not thermal throttling.

Guess next paycheck goes towards a new PC :confused: but its still sucks that I lasted all the way till this patch.

Well to be honest, there were a lot of FPS issue threads back in the day when the FX CPUs were quite new.
Those CPUs are just not a good match for WoWs heavy reliance on singlethreading power, which the FX are miserable at.
Modern CPUs are like 3 times as fast in WoW.
But i guess when you have been playing that long at low FPS, you get used to it and only notice when it freezes for a sec or so.
And yes i get mad when my FPS drops below 60 in a raid on my Ryzen 3900x :smiley:

I don’t think one patch should drop his fps by half. That doesn’t make sense. There was nothing major graphic wise or much changed in that patch, It was just a content patch, I doubt his pc just decided to run at half fps. As widely documented across the support forms there has been lots of issues with 8.3 even for people with higher end systems. (Lucky I’m not one of them)

8.3 is definiatly a mess on a technical side of things. Just read about the black flickering issue that’s still not fixed. The worst I’ve seen and I’ve been playing for 15 years.

8.3 Also came with a well documented memory leak that still persists for lots of people, There is proof on the forums if you look hard enough. (I’m guessing this is part of your freezing problem)

So no you’re older cpu isn’t the issue, The patch is. If it ran fine in the patches before 8.3 it should be working now. Sure there is a chance your PC might have some technical issue or driver issues however it’s not down to your actual cpu brand.

Don’t listen to random people saying hardware isn’t good enough, They end up just being parrots for the latest gen hardware, Even when you’re playing a game that is fine for your hardware. Next year the 2080ti won’t be enough for some people.

It absolutely is, but whatever…
There is no way his FX can achieve 50-60 FPS in a raid, not even LFR.
My old I5 3570K@4,2Ghz, which is alot faster even dropped to the 30s and below in 30man heroic raids.

My current system with a Ryzen 3900x also does drop below 60 FPS sometimes in raids and in extreme cases like big trash pulls even to the 30s and 40ish on worldbosses.

Those CPUs in the video are twice as fast as the FX 8350, so 30ish and below FPS are normal for his CPU.
Also in the video he does not use any addons and is testing in LFR, which means those numbers are way too high for a realistic scenario (standard raid addons and people actually pressing buttons in the raid unlike 50% of the people afk leeching).

Yeah just ignore the facts and people who have been raiding since molten core and know their numbers :stuck_out_tongue:

His CPU barely even makes the minimum requirements for Shadowlands btw.

Did you read what he said? He was happy with his FPS until 8.3 hit, There was no reason for a cpu upgrade because of patch 8.3. Did you even read my post? What’s raiding since Molten core got to do with anything? I’ve played wow for 15 years too, doesn’t make someone a computer expert.

1 Like

Doesn’t mean 8.3 is the cause, maybe him starting to notice that his FPS are pretty low just overlapped with the patch release.
Like peoples PCs overheating in the summer and then they think a patch that released around the same time the problems started is the cause… u get what i’m saying?

No, but it means i know what FPS are realistic for a system in a specific content.
For example, people were already complaining about low FPS in raids back in Mists of Pandaria when the FX CPUs were new.
Now imagine 3 to 4 expansions later… surely his FPS will not have improved :smiley:
If you don’t believe me, just search the forum for FX CPUs and FPS problems.

Hi there Kemii!

We’re sorry to hear you’re having FPS issues, and your very first port of call should be to try these steps:

Hopefully they will help, and if not, it has details on contacting us directly for additional help. :slight_smile:

Yours,

Arythwinn