Undead Night Elves in the Alliance? Lore?

In regards to the first point - No. There isn’t any lore besides a line from Dark Ranger Velonara about some of them trying to go home. There’s no confirmation that they were ever accepted back into the fold by the Night Elves, though some would argue that the customisation existing alone confirms it.

As for the second, Darkfallen can come from any background and thus be almost any background as well. Some might raise an eyebrow at a druid so I’d avoid that, but rogues, warriors, even mages are totally fair game.

4 Likes

Hitching onto what Malunara said: Darkfallen are simply Undead Elves. Anything a regular Undead can (or can’t) do, so can they.

(Which is also why Darkfallen Druids would be a strange thing. I don’t think we’ve seen any Undead Druid yet?)

You have… simply not found me yet!

(this character is not a druid IC BTW)

1 Like

While there is no lore example that I know of, don’t let it halt your potential RP ambitions!

That being said, keep the following in mind:

While a vague form of ‘mind control’ had been used on Sylvanas’ risen dead, the good people of the Alliance tend not to care about such things. Remember when we all chucked tomatoes at level 58 death knights riding into Stormwind? Fun times!

Also, the Kaldorei don’t seem to me a forgiving people. They are old and their laws are old. Illidan was imprisoned for almost destroying the world and the Night Elven people. The Dark Rangers participated in the actual destruction of Teldrassil. This is not a small slight, in my mind.

5 Likes

The closets to “undead” druids would be the Drust.

1 Like

There was a big thread about this when Dark Ranger customisation first became a thing. You might want to scroll through it, just to get a feeling on the different opinions.

https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/dark-rangers-in-stormwind-city-rp

In the end, there are two different schools of thought regarding Dark Rangers.

• There is no official lore directly stating that undead Night Elves have been accepted by the Alliance or the Night Elves, therefore they haven’t been accepted by the Alliance or the Night Elves, and anyone who plays an undead Night Elf and roleplays it as being a part of the Alliance or Night Elven society is breaking the lore. It’s that simple and until Blizzard produces new lore, all undead Night Elves are enemies of the Alliance.
  • The same quest that unlocks undead Night Elf customisation mentions that some of these undead Night Elves are looking to return to their own, if Tyrande would have them. Moments later, you’re able to create Alliance characters that are undead Night Elves. Therefore, it seems likely that they have been accepted, because why would Blizzard give a faction customisation options for characters that aren’t allowed in that faction?

No matter which option you choose, it’s probably for the best that you stay out of cities if you play an undead Night Elf. No matter what the lore is regarding undead Night Elves in the Alliance, people are free to roleplay their characters as being hostile towards them.
This unfortunately means that you won’t be able to participate in hub RP, but at least it’s better than having to constantly deal with people trying to kill your character or have OOC arguments with you over the validity of your character’s existence.

We will never know for sure until someone is able to get Blizzard to clarify this issue, which might take many years or never happen at all.

5 Likes

Not that I want to roleplay as one, since the undead were always, and should be, a Horde tolerated race.

But if someone really feels to be a Dark Ranger in the Alliance, they could also part of the Ebon Blade? Which means they have to abide to their laws and punishments.

Still they shouldn’t be expected warm smiles whenever they decide to hang around in a Stormwind pub, because you know… a lot of people suffered from the Undead wether that be scourge, forsaken, or individual necromancers.

Yeah it makes little sense to be undead and accepted into the Alliance. The whole reason the Forsaken joined the Horde in the first place, was the (justified) fear of the Alliance moving into their lands, purge the undead, and re-colonise Lordaeron for their own.

If people really feel to roleplay a undead, don’t be suprised you chose to roleplay an outcast, and people won’t be accepting of you.

There is a whole wave of issues with people umbrellaing under the ebon blade as well.
some would hand wave it away and say its alright, since the ebon blade employ many different undead.
While others are hard set on the ebon blade being a knights order and therefore don’t need nor want rangers in their ranks.

There is president for both cases, since there is at least one undead beast master in the ebon blade, but one NPC is not enough as they often times break the “rules” see the DH with a two-handed scythe, the ebon blade beast master and Anduin the priest dressing like a paladin.

In regards to how Darkfallen should be treated in the alliance is a weird cat to shave.
we currently do have a 3 year long peace and dragon isles shows everyone working jolly together, even forsaken and humans.
The tolerance for darkfallen may be easier to accept now than before.
but that is still only a guess and as long as we only have the implication that some are rejoining and not the actual proof (such as NPCs) it shall remain a topic of discussion.
Which could be entirely avoided had they written “some of the dark rangers HAVE rejoined the alliance” instead of “some of them WANT to rejoin the alliance.”

1 Like

Third option:

Undead kaldorei haven been granted official license in lore but that quest is all we’ll ever get and everything blizzard will claim as sufficient as RPers are acknowledged but don’t matter, so lore clarifications aren’t necessary.

However, it is up to individuals to accept a dark ranger seeking redemption for their brief but intense collaboration with Azeroth’s would-be conqueror and defiler and really quite cringe to go all the way to gather a crowd to bully them out of town by order of the regent lord-commander.

Undead void elves, however seem to lack lore entirely besides that collective suicide in Nazmir providing a lot of bodies.

It might be argued they’re old school high elf dark rangers but they’d be in the same seat as the kaldorei without a high priestess queen to bail them out.

Expect a brief line in an interiew in 6 years of how they were allowed post undercity de-blighting as blizzard made a whole quest about it.

2 Likes

No and Blizzard won’t give us any decent lore. I said the same about WotLK when DKs could join Alliance - pointing out the hypocrisy of allowing Scourge Killing Machines into their faction but not the less-killy undead of Lordaeron (and Quel’thalas)

In my opinion, there shouldn’t be any undead in Alliance to keep it consistent - but that isn’t the WoW we live in.

The forsaken simply didn’t have the plot armor to join the alliance.

1 Like

But our leader literally did!

did:pensive:

Still does
somehow not getting the death sentence after her garrosh tier warcrimes is proof of that.

2 Likes

Does that mean Garrosh didn’t have plot-armour?!
The guy just stays based after all this time lokter

1 Like

Garrosh never needed plot armor, he was just that good.

2 Likes

Aight back to crap undead and alliance lore before I start listening to Little Dark Age again

At least (some) of Garrosh’s logic made sense. Sylvanas was just an idiot.

… Who damned a bajillion-trillion souls to the Maw because “tHe WoRLD iS a pRiSOn???”

2 Likes

She wanted to set us all… free

like I ever asked for her help.

4 Likes

AIGHT LISTEN B!TCH

Which elf “god” allowed thousands of souls to even GO to the maw?

1 Like

I am unsure if we left the shadowlands in a better or worse state than when we arrived.

I am leaning towards worse.

2 Likes