Unpopular Opinions

I have an exact opposite (unpopular?) opinion: Warcraft works best as this kitchen-sink pastiche of every sort of fantasy / tech / space trope, in loosely connected niches, operating purely on rule of cool. There’s something for everyone this way, and very different stories in different micro-settings can coexist, as long as people have a general taste for the tone and scene at hand (e.g. not whipping out a gnomish death ray blaster in a mak’gora or something just because it exists in the universe).

I like this approach far more than trying to find a single logical baseline for all the ungodly variety of Warcraft. WC1-WC3’s universe was way more cohesive, I guess, but gotta welcome the change.

7 Likes

I’m in agreement here, though I’m not sure if it’s popular or not. I do think Blizzard tend to make the best stories when they’re over the top cheesy that operate mostly on rule of cool. Not to say there haven’t been a lot of great stories told by Blizzard and players with a more serious tone, but I find that Blizzard writing is at its most enjoyable when it’s bombastic, cheesy and cliché.

I feel like after BfA though, more people will probably agree with that sentiment. I mean this war narrative is without a doubt one of the worst I’ve ever seen and I think it’s a miracle that there’s talented people on this server who can make their own entertaining stories out of it because the writers at Blizzard… certainly didn’t.

6 Likes

I guess the extreme variety is good because it gave me pandaren nationalist RP (we’re growing…) which might is not have appeared otherwise.

Still it creates a lot of weird and silly clashing themes in the setting sometimes. Like grr grr savage savage kill kill orcs who also are… Shaolin monks?

At least you can kinda pick and choose what to use and not. As noted, no super shrink rays in a mak’gora.

1 Like

Val’sharah was a good storyline for Tyrande and Malfurion as characters(on par with Aszuna and way better then Stormheim am Highmountain).

The Warrior Order Hall was one of the coolest Order Halls and had one of the most fun storylines; while it didn’t fit any playable race, I am kinda glad they just went all in with the Vrykul/Norse-theme of it!

Male Moon-Priest are way to underused compared to the abundance of female Druids! They shoukd seriously be ahown more in the game!

1 Like

I do agree with that.
I think it’s unfair that female archdruids have been a thing since Vanilla, but the only male priest representation I’ve seen is the Night Elf Priest at Uther’s Tomb, as well as an Archaeology Statue.
One could argue that the Highborne Magister in Dire Maul could be a Priest, as well, but he is undead and bears the title “Magister.” Plus he’s Undead, possibly more of a Shadow-Mage.

1 Like

To name a few

Races that tend to be interpreted/typecast as “comedic” by RPers is more of a disposition of prejudices on their side than anything else. There is enough evidence with In game portrayals of gnomes, goblins, pandaren and vulpera to suggest these races can and have serious inclinations (gnomeregan covert ops, bilgewater battalion, shado pan, Nisha to give just one example of each) and therefore when players tend to default towards treating them as their more light hearted portrayals regardless of how the player in front of them is presenting, the issue is on their part, not the race itself. In my mind it’s a kind of response to the fact that wow extends beyond many conventional fantasy frameworks (ye olde elves and dwarves and humans) and offers more in terms of racial themes, and thus some might see deviations from this classic formula as “less proper” fantasy. However in Warcraft it IS proper fantasy so it’s a case of recognising that when one is doing that, they’re applying out of world standards to the world and those in it.

Bfa isn’t a terrible expansion and azerite armour is actually a good concept but just lacks balance between traits.

Essences should not be account bound. They are essentially a form of gearing so there’s no logical argument why they should be account bound and other forms of gear that are optimal for endgame are not.

2 Likes

I love all the sci-fi and weird tech in WoW. That it is not yet another bland swords and sorcery clone is what keeps me interested. Keep the medieval fantasy if you like but my troll will be shredding around an eco-dome in her motorbike.

I would love to be able to talent/glyph away from the metamorphosis form on Demon Hunter. Just give me the DPS without the ugly.

Blood Elves belong on, and are better for being, the Horde. Every sign of their increased integration and loyalty makes me happy; from Orgrimmar armour wearing belf grunts in Nagrand to Lor’themar telling Alleria to get fuc-

6 Likes

Mechagnomes are cool and based, transhumanism is a cool topic to explore.

7 Likes

WoD started out as a good expansion, with some of the best art, zones and music in the game. It’s a shame the developers really messed it up as there was a lot of potential.

4 Likes

Cataclysm was probably the single worst thing that ever happened to the setting. Vanilla and Wrath were relatively grounded. TBC less so, with its spaceships, eco-domes and other magitech, but at least it was brought in by extraplanetary cultures, more advanced than those of Azeroth. Cataclysm was when they tossed all sense of plausibility and internal consistency out of the window and overloaded the setting with “cool” and/or wacky stuff and pop culture references.

As for unpopular opinions — I don’t know how unpopular this one is, but I like Christie Golden’s writing. She’s a character writer, and that’s where she really shines, bringing reflection and plausible motivations into the setting. It’s not her fault that the game writers frequently override her characterizations with that of cardboard cutouts because they can’t be bothered to put actual effort into writing.

4 Likes

I 100% loved legion and thought nothing wrong of it.

Taking Inspiration from other Fantasy franchises like LotR to GoT and Warhammer for your Character isn’t that bad.

8 Likes

I actually kinda liked Jaina’s storyline in BFA.

I also liked the ‘battle’ for Orgrimmar: while somewhat anticlimactic, I liked the fact the issues was resolved by Saurfang with minimal bloodshed, instead of playing a huge, bloody siege.

Also, I actually kind of like Anduin in BFA.
Then again, I always hated Varian; he somewhat grew on me in Legion, but still.

Outland is the best continent in terms of design and lore. It masterfully blends medieval fantasy with sci-fi, with a dose of the post-apocalyptic to finish it off.

That said, I would agree TBC definitely didn’t do a good job in terms of story. However, my reasons for saying that probably differ from what most would argue. One thing that really bothered me was the “coincidence” that the draenei happened to crash-land on Azeroth of all places. What frustrated me even more, though, was the events of 2.4 and in particular the restoration of the Sunwell. So, no, I’m not all that bothered about Vashj and Kael’thas being “wasted”.

Perhaps even more controversially, I think vanilla was horrible for lore. Particularly the whitewashing of the night elves was and still is a huge gripe to me. It also represents the era of WoW lore where magic systems were kept intentionally vague. Which is not inherently bad - but in the case of a world like that of Warcraft’s, where magic is a daily occurrence and some mortal races are indeed even fully dependent on it, requires the writers to organize and develop its magic systems. Unfortunately, it took them ages to do this, which is why we have the mess we’re with now.
This should’ve been done in vanilla.

Frankly, the very beloved Metzen and his gang weren’t all that much of the great creative geniuses some people laud them to be. Warcraft tends to have concepts which seem appealing at first - certainly often are - but that’s mostly due to the visual rendition of those concepts. I mean, art & music team for the win, am I right? But the truth is those concepts are in reality quite shallow, with not much structure behind them. That’s why they are often painfully superficial, and why their ideas generally don’t translate all that well in-game.

Since this style of storytelling continues to this day, I’ll give a recent example to make my ramblings seem a bit less suspiciously confused void elf :crazy_face:.

Let’s take G’huun.

Disgusting yet eerily fascinating aesthetics? Check. Entrenched in the lore? Check. Edgy powers in the form of blood magic? Check. An army of similarly spooky and well-designed followers? Check.

So now that we have an intriguing enemy to fight for raiders and people who don’t read quest texts, let’s look how this guy really holds up.

Aesthetics: ok, like I said before, that’s done consistently well.
Everything else: not so much.

G’huun’s problem isn’t necessarily that he was made up on the spot for BfA. His existence is sort of feasible. What is problematic is the incredible coincidence that another blood god happens to be located at the very place the exiled followers of the loa of blood end up at. Or what about the fact that there’s absolutely no reason for him to have a connection to blood? Sure, he’s an “experiment gone wrong”, but since it’s a titan experiment gone wrong, perhaps a connection to anima (oops, I’m not supposed to say that; sorry, Shadowlands designers, I swear I’m not trying to tie your hands!) would be more logical? But since it’s not there… why does he represent the red, mortal brand of blood? Y’Shaarj’s blood is purple; Yogg-Saron’s a light blue/green. Which Old God was used for these experiments?
Also: “G’huun’s unique biology potentially holds the answer to eliminating their threat.” No pay-off? Yeah, none.

I don’t think any of comments on WoW’s general storytelling are much of an unpopular opinion, but I think believing the blame partly lies on our dear Chris Metzen certainly does. It’s been consistently bad.

5 Likes

I think this comes down to a lack of taste of some people’s behalf, tbh. Having a Gnome/Goblin who can endlessly whip up countless gadgets and life-saving tools from a coconut and a conch is jarring. Nobody likes an RP’er who can find a solution to every single problem a character faces whether they’re sat on a mage or a death-knight, or a demon-hunter or a monk or whatever.

Things should have limitations, essentially. Think it’s also good to understand a lot of the technology we’re seeing in the quest-chains wouldn’t be available, esp. if we’re talking the high-powered military stuff.

My personal take with Gnomes is that they collectively witnessed a traumatizing event and reacted in pretty extreme ways. (Headcanon 2: Electric Boogaloo - #653 by Raes-argent-dawn)

I’d like to do a Vulpera at some point whose premise is essentially that they’ve been a slave all their life, and on joining a Horde, they first choose themselves a name - and so associate the horde with loyalty.

Hunting down a Goblin alchemist who’s been committing unethical experiments and trying to create a new strand of hobgoblin - torturing his fellow Goblin in the process. I guess my point kinda is that there’s ways the give the races a darker twist but Blizzard doesn’t help there.

EDIT: As for unpopular opinions: I don’t like the look of Overlord plate and you shouldn’t be using it when there’s a far better version available from the Stromgarde warfront.

4 Likes

Agreed.

My unpopular opinion:

The majority of Blizzard lore is good. It may be written sloppily at times, but the concepts themselves and possibilities afforded to us for roleplay are great.

5 Likes

Edgy roleplay can be done extremely well and enjoyable, and I only find some edgelords cringeworthy.

1 Like

Jogging back to blood elf warriors; you rarely ever see one with a decent transmog, especially prior to the heritage quest. There were some god awful attempts at spell breakers, there really was.

3 Likes

As somebody with a lot of cata combos (including a belf warrior), I like them.

I said it before and I will say it again
tech in ma fantasy ruins my enjoyment of the game
but I doubt that is as unpopular of an opinion as I suspect it to be.

I like that the chronicles exist but I hate most of the changes they settled on.

Druids can just :point_right: :airplane:

Stop writing books and use that creativity to convey the story in-game
locking important lore bits behind a money gate in form of a book is bad game story telling
I rather the books focus on adding life to the world and fill in lose ends and plotholes instead of taking away what could be a good quest chain in-game.

1 Like