What if we could choose racial traits from a racial pool? (Character Creation UI edit)

I really like the idea, give us more racials for each race, and let us choose.
also some races/subraces could have SOME racials in common ofc for lore reasons.
Sadly it’s too good of an idea, and it would increase our customization options, blizzard will never implement it.

1 Like

Thank you so much, it’s nice to know at least one person likes the idea. :slight_smile:

As for the rest… Mclovin, if you are still reading this thread, and I can do anything to make it up with you such as specifically quoting you in the OP for your helo through your contributions, please do say. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seems ok to me.

Just have to wonder if it might not risk to feel a little overwhelming for a new player who get to make the choice for the first time, without really knowing how itwill affect their gameplay.

That would create mess and frustration. Blizz why my race have these three and not that one etc …

Well that already happens now anyway so that hardly changes anything?

Exactly ! then why make it ?

Only solution is replacement of racial system with " zodiac " like ,in which all signs are available for all races in both faction.

I’d say either because usually people like having more choices, and/or because this way the allied races could be taken off the main character selection screen and become subsets of the main one?

All works for me really. My feeling is that whatever is done or not done, some people will always complain.

But personally, I would love having a choice.

If you can choose racial then its not racial anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

If I may ask why not, when the Draenei racial pool is different from the Tauren racial pool?

I’d love having more choice in racials. Race is an aesthetic choice to me but sometimes that means having useless racials, which isn’t that fun. Nightborne having Arcane Torrent for example both makes sense and would mean you have a racial you’d actually use. Though Shadowmeld would be my dream pick.

How about we delete all race/faction/covenant powers so we don’t need to worry about balance which 99% of the time screws everything.

Then classes should be deleted as well, and spells limited to one so that the rotation cannot be messed up!

Or we could go play Space Invaders. :rofl:

Strongest one is subjective AoE strongest, Tank Strongest, Healer Strongest, Single Target Strongest, PvP strongest - that is not really a problem, unless one of them is really imbalanced.

1 Like

I can honestly say I cannot understand why having the option to pick racials from a pool would create bigger problems than the ones we already have now when being forced to choose a race.

I mean… would you do now, with the current system, when a new expansion hits and changes the best class/race combo? Would you pay for a race-change? Re-roll? Or just live with it and ignore the matter?

I do the latter, but I know both people who race-change every major patch, and other people who have been playing the same race for the past decade or more.

So I’d expect the same people to either keep race-changing every major patch, or keep the same main as they are doing now, even if the racials could be chosen.

If you think that what is going on in game right now is somehow required for game to exist then you are flat out clueless.
There is a degree of complication and imbalance which can be avoided to make game better.

There are people who race change every major patch. That is their choice.
I would not do that either.

But again, racials are trivial, they hardly matter. And there is fantasy to take into concideration. So rerolling your racials would make no sense. You are ‘’ Born’’ with your racials. it is what defines your race. YEs not everyone is exactly the same, neither in wow so in that matter YES i agree with you.

But People will want to reroll their racials
People will get super pissed if they are ‘’ forced’’ to racechange because the meta has changed.
And we would come back to the original problem.

The People who race change now would not change that. However those that dont would feel like they are forced into it seeing it as a cheap money grab by blizzard. Or you ruin the fantasy of the game

1 Like

I like the idea of separating Mechanics from Cosmetics - would it really break immersion if one BElf have Arcane Precision +1% Crit and other say Arcane Swiftness +1% Haste?

As long as abilities properly themed it would be fine imo.

1 Like

Some further ideas Geisl on MMO-C:
(reposting with their permission - will also add to the OP)

I do not have an EU account so I cannot post there, but I think it’s good that you iterated your opening post based on some of the discussion within your thread.

Another iteration could be to make it that each race keeps 3-4 ‘core racial traits’ and maybe they can choose 1-2 from a pool of 3-4 (All Race Specific so no sort of Goblin racial appearing on Night Elves etc).

That would be a way to keep ‘iconic racials’ for each race while still moving towards broadening character customization for racials.

Another add-on to the above idea could be that racials that are throughput-based (1% extra crit chance/vers increased by 1%) cannot be changed and only utility racials are changed (if a Lightforged isn’t into blacksmithing they could maybe instead summon another profession apparatus with an associated skill increase into it instead).

That would then make it so those complaining about ‘but people will pick the most efficient/best/competitive racials’ would have less to complain about. If only a Night Elf has access to 1% crit/haste, shadowmeld, and quickness but then maybe they change nature resistance for frost/arcane resist or elusiveness (only available to rogues/druids anyway) for maybe a profession bonus I do not think those complainers will have much a leg to stand on!

I think eventually the game might see some sort of racial customization at work far into the future. Everyone speaks about the limited character customization in WoW like it’s a big eyesore, so I believe the developers notice it as well. I also believe they consistently work on their game technology in order to make it easier for them to do new things, hence the character customization overhaul in Shadowlands due to overhauling their character customization tool efficiency.

In the tabletop RPG Dungeons & Dragons, one can select their race that comes with racial traits but there’s also ‘character backgrounds’ that give slightly more variation between people who pick the same race. Every race has access to every character background choice available. So it sort of is like the idea I mentioned where in WoW each race has 3-4 ‘core race traits’ that can’t be changed and then can pick up an additional 1-2 race traits from an expanded racial pool specific to that race.

We can already see that Blizzard themselves continue to keep iterating on the game so there truly is not much to back the stance of stagnation.

Sorry to read the community didn’t welcome your idea… guess you have been cursed with most people’s fear of choosing a ‘wrong’ covenant in the upcoming Shadowlands.

Personally I do not mind the covenant choice, so I also think more customization being available to racial skills would be cool. And indeed, it would work nicely with a creation screen revamp that included ‘subraces’. :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.